You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gooch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:22am
Jesus. He must be soft in the head if he believes that last bit. Brolly hasnt changed his tune at all and as per O Rourkes column piece, he was the one who had the conviction to say it to his face.
@AntrimMan85
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

I wonder how much Joe Brolly gets paid?

I don't really get how thats' relevant.

He works as a Pundit for the state broadcaster ( as does Gooch btw) and will be paid a fee to perform a role. Like wise with his paper work ( Again, so does Gooch)

This is a bit off as he's saying, I was a great footballer and I want people to pay 500 quid a head to turn up just to line my pockets - with the footnote of charity to take the bad smell off it. 

It seems like using GAA status for nothing but personal gain and that's whats going to annoy people.

I can see a counter argument that current inter county players do this to a degree already with endorsements, cushy jobs etc but this seems pretty big leap from that.

I couldn't give a feck about the gaa, but the point is relevant.

Brolly used gaa status for personal gain. Would he be working as a pundit or writing for newspapers if he was a nothing footballer? I doubt it very much

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

I wonder how much Joe Brolly gets paid?

I don't really get how thats' relevant.

He works as a Pundit for the state broadcaster ( as does Gooch btw) and will be paid a fee to perform a role. Like wise with his paper work ( Again, so does Gooch)

This is a bit off as he's saying, I was a great footballer and I want people to pay 500 quid a head to turn up just to line my pockets - with the footnote of charity to take the bad smell off it. 

It seems like using GAA status for nothing but personal gain and that's whats going to annoy people.

I can see a counter argument that current inter county players do this to a degree already with endorsements, cushy jobs etc but this seems pretty big leap from that.

I couldn't give a feck about the gaa, but the point is relevant.

Brolly used gaa status for personal gain. Would he be working as a pundit or writing for newspapers if he was a nothing footballer? I doubt it very much

Is it? Like every other pundit in pretty much every sport. They get into it as theyre former players - either stand out players or at least decent ones that are half way eloquent. Either way they are doing a job.

This is different in that hes asking for money just to turn up to a dinner in his honour. I dont know hi. I think people are entitled to their opinion on it but id be in the Brolly / O Rourke camp here.
@AntrimMan85
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 4:08pm
So it was ok for brolly to use his gaa status to make money out of the media but not ok for cooper to use his status to make money at a dinner? I don't see the difference. Time will tell if people are happy to turn up for it or not and pay the fee

Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 5:30pm

So it was ok for brolly to use his gaa status to make money out of the media but not ok for cooper to use his status to make money at a dinner? I don't see the difference. Time will tell if people are happy to turn up for it or not and pay the fee

Brolly is actually working.

Sitting down stuffing your gob isn't working.

Its a stroke that only a Kerryman could have the audacity to try first. They're well known to be "cute out" when it comes to money.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 5:50pm
Fair play to him then if people are happy to pay for it! Don't see how it's any of brollys business anyway

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:55pm

I see a difference. Mind that Gooch also works for RTE and does the paper thing as well.

Like yer man says, they are working at that. Its a job some people do when they hang up the boots. I cant see it as comparable to asking people to pay 500 quid to be in your company
@AntrimMan85
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Onyd Onyd wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

No real opinion on this one way or the other, it's Colm's decision.

I suppose the fact there is a percentage of the money going to charity that in itself is positive. 

I do know that Colm regularly does presentations when time permits for juvenile teams (told this from a good friend of his in Dr Crokes) and often doesn't charge a cent. 

On one occasion lately my friend drove him over 2 hours away to an awards night and Colm declined any cash when the club wanted to pay him for attending. 
'often'? The inference means he sometimes charges his own club? What a cad

No Confused

My friend is a Dr Crokes club member and is great pals with Colm, he said Colm often does presentations for juvenile teams around the country and doesn't charge them any fee.

Where in my post does it say "Colm Cooper charges his own club fees to present medals"
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
Brolly saying he didn't apologise to the Gooch and stands by his original statement.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:32am

There is no substance to the assertion Kerry GAA have been informed not to accept money from Colm Cooper’s testimonial. Pat Spillane contended neither Kerry GAA nor Dr Crokes will benefit financially from the recent testimonial to honour the Kerry great.

“They have been instructed by the powers-that-be not to accept any money from it,” wrote the eight-time All-Ireland medal-winner.

Kerry GAA say they have received no such instruction. They also rejected the suggestion board officials are “privately seething” over the event at the Intercontinental Hotel in Ballsbridge on October 27.

Spillane alleged anger stems from Cooper’s testimonial tapping into the people and companies they’d be looking to in helping finance the new €8m centre of excellence at Currans. “So, while Colm has made a significant short-term gain, I think he could lose out in the longer term.”

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic