You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

* Everyone back for the corners *

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: * Everyone back for the corners *
    Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:22am
Hey lads, 

Can someone explain why managers (MON in this case) decide to have the whole team back for defending corners? 

It drives me crazy. By leaving 1 man up top, you keep back a minimum of 2, maybe 3 defenders back for the opposition team. I have never understood this for many reasons but the main one being if the keeper makes a solid catch and wants to put the other team under pressure straight away then can't. He should be able to release the ball and the fastest player should be able to chase or all going well latch on to it. I've seen this done throughout Europe and also at local level. 

What are peoples opinions on this? Drive anyone else mad?

To me - it's negativity. 
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:28am

Some managers use opposition corners as a counter attacking opportunity. The stats for goals scored from corners are actually pretty low so sucking opposing players into your own box opens the pitch up for rapid counter attacks. 

I might be wrong but Klopp and Brendan Rodgers use this tactic also I think. It obviously helps to have quick and fit attacking players who understand the plan and know when to burst free as their keeper catches the ball or a defender heads it away. 
El Puto Amo
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Some managers use opposition corners as a counter attacking opportunity. The stats for goals scored from corners are actually pretty low so sucking opposing players into your own box opens the pitch up for rapid counter attacks. 

I might be wrong but Klopp and Brendan Rodgers use this tactic also I think. It obviously helps to have quick and fit attacking players who understand the plan and know when to burst free as their keeper catches the ball or a defender heads it away. 

I get the logic when it's executed the way you mentioned but my question is in relation to bringing everyone back and having no one up? Surely invites more pressure. 
cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:45am

Serbia played with two men on the midfield line when we had a corner the other night.    This took out three of our players to cover them, reducing a bit of congestion in the box.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:50am
Yeah I know what you mean. But the opposition will always leave one at home even if you have everyone back. That means that you can have a player on either post and still mark man for man in the box. If the corner is defended properly, there is loads of space to break into rapidly, particularly out wide. The opposition are now sprinting towards their own goal trying to get back into position which is something that they don't want to be doing and there's a good chance to take advantage of the potential chaos. 

Again, that's assuming you have a good game plan and the type of quick minded and physically fast players to carry out the counterattack.

I completely agree that Ireland have not used the above template but I'm just answering your initial query. 
El Puto Amo
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 10:12am
Liverpool scored against Arsenal the other week when Arsenal had nearly everyone forward for a corner. Cant remember if they had anyone back.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 10:43am
Anybody else remember John Aldridges's tactic when he managed Tranmere? He put his two fastest players, one a striker and the other a winger, right on opposite ends of the halfway line and if they got the ball away from the corner it was lofted over the top. I am sure he wasn't the only one to do it, but I certainly remember it causing teams problems at first, before making the oppositions corners almost ineffective. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 10:45am
What I see happening with Ireland is this. We bring everyone back. If Randolph catches the ball or whatever, he slows it right down and waits for everyone to get back. This to me is predictable and boring. Lacks positivity as we are afraid to break quick. Not once did I see us trying to break from winning a defending corner. Serbia got their men back and he threw it out and played it up the pitch. I just find everything slow with Ireland and I think that is half the battle. We are at home, tempo should be high, them on the back foot desperate for the whistle to blow or for a foul to be given. We are too slow, Serbia were under no pressure IMO Tuesday night. This all stems from setting the tempo. FFS even the ball "kids" are slow at getting a ball in. Pitch should be soaked and tempo high. Keeps atmosphere going also. Imagine being at home and never feeling we would actually score.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Anybody else remember John Aldridges's tactic when he managed Tranmere? He put his two fastest players, one a striker and the other a winger, right on opposite ends of the halfway line and if they got the ball away from the corner it was lofted over the top. I am sure he wasn't the only one to do it, but I certainly remember it causing teams problems at first, before making the oppositions corners almost ineffective. 

Exactly. Just makes them think at least. Austria scored from a corner also against us. With everyone back, was embarrassing. 

Edited by kearney304 - 08 Sep 2017 at 10:46am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

What I see happening with Ireland is this. We bring everyone back. If Randolph catches the ball or whatever, he slows it right down and waits for everyone to get back. This to me is predictable and boring. Lacks positivity as we are afraid to break quick. Not once did I see us trying to break from winning a defending corner. Serbia got their men back and he threw it out and played it up the pitch. I just find everything slow with Ireland and I think that is half the battle. We are at home, tempo should be high, them on the back foot desperate for the whistle to blow or for a foul to be given. We are too slow, Serbia were under no pressure IMO Tuesday night. This all stems from setting the tempo. FFS even the ball "kids" are slow at getting a ball in. Pitch should be soaked and tempo high. Keeps atmosphere going also. Imagine being at home and never feeling we would actually score.

I agree with you 100%.

It's such a simple tactic too.

Put Long on the left wing and maybe Walters on the right, Wes in-between the halfway line and out box and awaiting clearance.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:08am
Not a fan of having everyone back but the main issue I see with our defending corners is covering the two posts something we failed to do against Austria which incidentally led to the goal

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Not a fan of having everyone back but the main issue I see with our defending corners is covering the two posts something we failed to do against Austria which incidentally led to the goal

Covering the posts loses you two mean for a scenario that almost only ever happens when you have two men out of position. In other words, if you put those two men in better positions, they are less likely to score. Diego Simeone, one of the best managers around and an astute defensive coach, doesn't put men on the posts either.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:20am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Agree with this, but that is down to said player switching off and not being tuned in. It doesn't matter if we throw the subs in the box as well.

The goal we conceded against Austria was pathetic. 

We need to set up a certain way. Away from home - MON (whoever is in charge) will have their own ideas and that's fine. 

But at home in a must win game, everything needs to be positive on the front foot. Whether that be quick free kicks or whatever. They were allowed play out from the back at the Aviva. Again comes from a lack of confidence that we can apply a high pressure game and nick the ball back. Despite us playing better Tuesday we really did f**k all. We still didn't do the basics of a home match. Get in their faces, harass them in possession and have a high tempo. It was slow and predictable build up play. 

You do what you can to get the edge. Back in Charlton era I remember him being delighted if the pitch was f**ked (and would try make it worse) if we are playing a top footballing team. Yes that was our style but the team couldn't settle. Anything for an edge. We aren't cute enough, bottom line. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic