You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black armbands v Iceland 1997

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black armbands v Iceland 1997
    Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 1:44pm
There is a lot of talk at the moment about the death of Diana and subsequent hysteria that gripped the UK in particular at that time. One thing that always stuck in my mind from an Irish perspective was the decision made by the FAI for Irish players to wear black armbands in memory of Diana for the game against Iceland.

I don't recall it being an issue at the time but I do remember finding it a bit odd to see players representing the Republic of Ireland supposedly mourning a foreign Royal. This was only three years aftet Loughinisland when several Irish supporters were gunned down in cold blood and as far as I am aware there was no official recognition of that tragedy until Euro 2012.

Were any forum members here at the game and did ye think it was odd back then?

Edited by 1874eire - 04 Sep 2017 at 4:50pm
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 1:46pm
Game in question was against Iceland.

Heard Kilbane on the radio about it last week and he had no recollection of wearing them or getting caught up in the whole thing. Plainly because it mattered nothing to him.

For what it is worth, it was 20 years ago and i couldnt give a monkeys toss about the thoughts or feelings surrounding it in present day. 

Edited by McG - 04 Sep 2017 at 1:48pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:23pm
Defo Iceland.

You'll find it on this ;

32 minutes in

I don't see anyone wearing black armbands, you're talking sh*te.

Edited by Gary McKay - 04 Sep 2017 at 3:26pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 4:47pm
My apologies, Iceland it was.

I was just curious as to whether anybody remembered it or had an opinion at the time, I didnt think it would irk anyone.

Seemed ridiculous to me then and still does now tbh.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:19pm
I'm pretty sure Andy Townsend was the one who suggested that they be worn. A strange quirk alright
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I'm pretty sure Andy Townsend was the one who suggested that they be worn.

Unsurprising, if true
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:59pm
Watch the video above, 32 mins, none of the players are wearing black arm bands !!!
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 7:12pm
Not that I can see. Did remind me, though, of how in those days we'd use a roll of masking tape in lieu of a proper captain's armband.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Watch the video above, 32 mins, none of the players are wearing black arm bands !!!
They might have been wearing invisible black armbands.
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Not that I can see. Did remind me, though, of how in those days we'd use a roll of masking tape in lieu of a proper captain's armband.

That was one of Keane's initiatives to have a proper captains armband instead of a bit of tape.
AVFCAnne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVFCAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I'm pretty sure Andy Townsend was the one who suggested that they be worn. A strange quirk alright

It was actually Mick McCarthy who suggested it because many of the players had been born in England.

They did wear the armbands; I remember it well. Didn't cause nearly as much fuss as I expected. Think most people were bemused rather than angry as such.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
The players did wear black armbands / tape versus Iceland.

Thoughts on this tragedy:

Iceland have certainly tightened up at the back since those dark days.

Edited by Terzino - 04 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic