You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freemasonry in Ireland - What's the craic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freemasonry in Ireland - What's the craic?
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:15pm
Freemasonry in Ireland is celebrating its 300 hundredth anniversary and a number of lodges are having open evenings.

Is any here a member or do they know a member? What is the craic with it all? A simple gentlemen's evening club, a sound Orange Order, or a load of bollox?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:19pm
Lizard people, obviously.
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:19pm
Looking from the outside in I always thought that it was an extension of the Orange Order
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:21pm
Not a patch on the Stonecutters

One of the greatest Simpsons episodes of all time

Edited by Denis Irwin - 17 Aug 2017 at 3:22pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:23pm

The fella in this article isn't a great salesman but it appears that he doesn't want to be. Daniel O'Connell was a member apparently so these lads are ok by me if that's the case. 
El Puto Amo
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:31pm
Not allowed to talk about it I'm only a level 4
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Not allowed to talk about it I'm only a level 4

You level 4 lowlife, my arse needs wiping
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

The fella in this article isn't a great salesman but it appears that he doesn't want to be. Daniel O'Connell was a member apparently so these lads are ok by me if that's the case. 
I think the obvious question to them is; if it is just a group of rich men being silly, why are they so secretive?
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I think the obvious question to them is; if it is just a group of rich men being silly, why are they so secretive?

I'm not at liberty to say
El Puto Amo
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:25pm
It's open to all men who believe in a god. The local one near me in London has a rake of Iranians in it as well as Christians. When I lived in Scotland I was invited to attend it by a colleague who was in it. Didn't bother taking him up on the offer as I'm not a believer despite being born into a Catholic family.

They have some very strange rituals and initiation ceremonies.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:31pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Grove?wprov=sfti1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Grove?wprov=sfti1
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 3:20am
To provide a bit of balance, I can only talk in the highest possible terms of the Freemasons and what they do. 

I'm not a mason myself (though I probably will apply to join one day) but I do have quite a lot of family who are active Freemasons in Scotland and England. They've always been happy to answer all my questions and tell me what it's all about. Also, the official text of all rituals everyone wonders about can be freely read online, there is nothing secret or sinister about it. 

My Uncle, who is a former master of his lodge in the English south coast, described Freemasonry to me as being "a mixture of the social club, amateur dramatic society, fancy dress night and charity fundraiser all in one." 

It's open to all men (for women see below) regardless of age, occupation, race, nationality, sexuality, colour or religion so it brings together a wide variety of chaps. Many lodges have open days where they are happy to answer questions and show you around the buildings and explain things. 

A fact which many people don't know is that there are two quite different kinds of Freemasonry. 

There is "Regular" which is the common one in the UK, Ireland, USA and almost all Commonwealth countries - this is men only, you must believe in God or a "supreme being" of your own definition, cannot be an atheist or agnostic, politics and religion are not allowed to be discussed in a lodge. And then there is "Continental" which is most common in Europe and South America - women may join, they accept atheists and agnostics, politics and religion are allowed to be discussed in a lodge. 

The long and the short of it is this - To Mr X, Freemasonry may seem very silly and pointless. To Mr Y, Freemasonry may seem very interesting and worth joining. Whilst Mr Z is completely indifferent and just wants another pint.

Interestingly, the Mason's have been persecuted under both communist and fascist governments during the 20th Century. Sadly, many different Protestant Churches prohibit membership and the Catholic Church bans Masons from receiving the Eucharist.

One thing I want to be deadly serious about is this. Freemasonry has nothing to do with the Orange Order. Let's be clear, the latter is a deeply odious, racist and sectarian organisation founded on anti-Catholicism, Protestant supremacy and backward social conservatism. The Masons have always accepted Roman Catholics with open arms (and Jews, and Muslims and Hindus and Sikhs, you get the picture). Many millions of Catholics around the world are Masons. The lads at the lodge my Grandparents are often kindly invited to dances at would be deeply insulted by the equation with the OO, seeing as most of the lodge membership are of Irish Catholic descent (and big Celtic supporters at that). 

The several lodges in my area raise and donate a four figure lump sum for a different charity every month. They also they fund regular day trips to the seaside for pensioners and the disabled. Recently they bought new jerseys for the local boys and girls football teams and paid for a wheelchair ramp to be built at a community centre. They do some great things and they hardly ever get a mention in the local paper or anything for it. When the council, local voluntary organisations and local churches who have been asked to help with something but are not interested, it's been the Masons who were only too happy to put time, effort and money into a good deed.

A list of famous Freemasons would take too long to compile. Famous Masons include presidents & prime ministers, jazz musicians & Hollywood actors, scientists & inventors, Antarctic explorers & Civil Rights activists. However as this is a football forum I thought I'd post this.

Every one of the following notable (some of them truly world class) football players and managers has been confirmed as having been a Freemason - Herbert Chapman, John Charles, Leslie Compton, Dixie Deans, Tom Finney, Ron Greenwood, Tommy Lawton, Billy Liddell, Nat Lofthouse, Stan Matthews, Joe Mercer, Gil Merrick, Jackie Milburn, Alf Ramsey, Don Revie, Len Shackleton, Ronnie Simpson, Jock Stein and Bert Trautmann.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic