You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Relegation Battle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relegation Battle
    Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:20pm
Gavan Holohan scores for Galway again. 5th goal in 2 and a bit matches.

Badly need to win this one, feel like Harps falling back or a Bray asterix is Galway's best chance of survival.
Sponsored Links

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 3:16pm
Can't see how there will be a Bray* now.  The money is officially in escrow to pay the players.  Even if there is a regime change they aren't going to volunteer to go down.  

So I think Drogheda are certain to go down.  I think everyone above Limerick is safe.  I think Pats will get out of trouble quite comfortably.  They should finish no lower than 7th and possibly higher.  

I think 35 points is the target to stay up.  

That leaves 2 from Sligo Rovers, Galway, Limerick and Harps.  We (Limerick) have an advantage in points on the board but are certainly in the worst form of the four.  We also have an advantage in that Harps, Drogheda and Galway all have to visit the Markets Field and we don't meet Sligo.

Sligo travel to Harps, Galway (successive weeks in September) and Drogheda.  They haven't won away all season.  Draws won't do in these games.

Harps will battle right to the end.  This is crucial in a relegation scrap.

As of now I couldn't call it.  I'm really concerned from a Limerick perspective.   A month ago I thought we had an outside chance of Europe and would have the consolation of an Irn Bru cup place at a minimum.  Now I'd be thrilled with 9th.    
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:52pm
Very tense at the bottom. Drogs look to b gone. But who will join them?any 2 from the next 5. Pats seem to b pulling away with garvan back I think they should b ok. Sligo are drawing a lot of games. They were busy in the transfer market last week.like wise Galway. Harps and limerick could b in trouble.limerick wonder now if they wish they had kept Russell. Ollie doing a great job but needing a couple of wins.3 down seemed mad at the time but it will keep us all guessing right to the end.
alive and kicking
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 12:10am
Ah well, thats us relegated. We had to beat Bray to have a chance. Hard to believe that a team that only looses two games at home all season will go down (cork have lost 1) but when you cant score goals and dig in for points away from home you're doomed. Not excusing Lytlle in this ramshankle of a season but Robertson in hindsight was the death nail. Nearly 1600 at a home game on a Tuesday evening when you're second from bottom shows there is still a good graw for the Rovers but it's not to be be. The playets have an awful lot to ask for imo too ... full time, given the best of everything that a LOI club can give and they can't rise up to but in performances is infuriating and head scratching. The rise and fall of a Rovers fan ... sure what else did i expect

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 16 Aug 2017 at 12:11am
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 7:11am
Yeah we're gone. Just not good enough reallly. Well not enough to actually win some games. Top 3 and ourselves the only teams with single figures in terms of defeats (although we'll have 10 after Friday night) but 13 draws is killing us.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:04am
Well most in the Markets Field last night also reckoned we will go too.  

Ollie Horgan was certainly walking out with a big grin on his face.  Horgan would have killed some of our players if he was their manager.  

Still a long way to go.  Only Drogheda are sure to go imo.    

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:18am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Well most in the Markets Field last night also reckoned we will go too.  

Ollie Horgan was certainly walking out with a big grin on his face.  Horgan would have killed some of our players if he was their manager.  

Still a long way to go.  Only Drogheda are sure to go imo.    

Agreed. Anyone in this graphic can go down. Form can change quickly and any team that can string a couple of wins together will be in good shape to stay up. 

7Limerick2528
8St. Patrick's Athletic2527
9Finn Harps2427
10Galway United2525
11Sligo Rovers2625
12Drogheda United2518

Saints and Harps is a huge game on Friday. If there is a loser in that game then they will be in big trouble too. 
El Puto Amo
KOH View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 11:13am
A win for either side (Harps or Pats) would put them 5 points clear of 3rd bottom with a game in hand provided Cork and Rovers beat Sligo and Galway on  Friday (big IF with Rovers although after last night im hopeful)
That's within shooting distance of safety you'd be thinking
KOH View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 11:14am
sorry Pats wouldn't have a game in hand
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by KOH KOH wrote:

A win for either side (Harps or Pats) would put them 5 points clear of 3rd bottom with a game in hand provided Cork and Rovers beat Sligo and Galway on  Friday (big IF with Rovers although after last night im hopeful)
That's within shooting distance of safety you'd be thinking

Big IF with City too sadly, Sligo are a bogey team and we're below a goal a game at the moment.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:15pm
All ye'll need is one goal as we have nothing to offer in an attacking sense. 5 goals in our last 10 league games says it all.

Edited by Nah Nah Nah Nah - 16 Aug 2017 at 1:15pm
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 2:20pm
Can't understand why sligo let sadlier go forget about the few grand..

Huge gane for us friday and a must win Cosidering we play the top 4 in the final 7 games..

Win and I think we will be safe
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by saintjoey saintjoey wrote:

Huge gane for us friday and a must win Cosidering we play the top 4 in the final 7 games..

Some clubs can't ring their sugar daddy every time they are stuck for a few bob. Tongue 
40k + good sell on clause or nothing in 3 months.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:03pm

Snap your hand off now for a draw
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Can't understand why sligo let sadlier go forget about the few grand..<br abp="791"><br abp="792">Huge gane for us friday and a must win Cosidering we play the top 4 in the final 7 games..<br abp="793"><br abp="794">Win and I think we will be safe

Some clubs can't ring their sugar daddy every time they are stuck for a few bob. Tongue 

Is it worth relegation?
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Snap your hand off now for a draw

You've beat us twice already sick of ye at this stage ha
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 11:03am

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Can't understand why sligo let sadlier go forget about the few grand..<br abp="791"><br abp="792">Huge gane for us friday and a must win Cosidering we play the top 4 in the final 7 games..<br abp="793"><br abp="794">Win and I think we will be safe

Is it worth relegation?

Selling Sadlier won't be the deciding factor if we get relegated and as good a player as he is, 7 goals in about 20 games is hardly prolific. His transfer didn't help but there is always more to these things.
Of course we'd have liked him to stay but you can't make him stay either. He didn't request a transfer but his head was most definitely turned.

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 18 Aug 2017 at 11:04am
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 11:59am
Of the teams at the bottom Drogs are gone - of the others I'd love it, love it if Pats and Duck Street Rovers went down.
Sadly Pats will stay up - Limerick might be in trouble given their terrible form. Would be disappointed to see Limerick or Harps go down.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic