You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing LOI players on the cheap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing LOI players on the cheap
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:03pm

Every season, some top young talent leaves the LOI for England (or Scotland) for free or for a pittance. When you consider the money floating around across the water, it's obscene really. Given what clubs are prepared to pay each other in England for average or even poor players, it makes perfect sense for them to come here and snap up the likes of Boyle, Horgan, Towell or Maguire. If it doesn't work out then their clubs are protected as they haven't had to make much of an outlay. 

We all now the reasons why; short contracts on offer in Ireland and clubs don't have the cash to offer longer or better deals to secure their talent on multi year contracts blah blah blah.

Is there any workable solution to this? 

Could each Prem LOI club nominate two/ three players each year and ask the FAI to help subsidize a 2 or 3 year deal? Maybe they each front half the cash each for wages. I understand that this would be a significant expense for the FAI but what if they split any transfer fee's taken in or organised some other mutually beneficial financial arrangement?

For example, there will be 10 Prem clubs next year. If they each have 2 "designated" players to nominate that would be 20 players. If the FAI and the clubs each offered the top players €2k per week between them on a two year deal with option to extend a year, that would be (€1K x 20 players x 52 weeks) just over a million euros a year for the FAI to shell out. We know that they are not fond of parting with their cash but what sort of transfer money would be coming in? If Dundalk had a strong bargaining hand with some of the players mentioned above, what sort of transfer fee could they have recouped? Chris Forrester left Pats for a reported €15k and within a couple of months, he was being touted as worth £3m (admittedly by his own chairman!). 

Pro's: 
The clubs have protect their top talent and can sell for the right fee.
The top players get money, security and a nice year round wedge. 
There would be a spread of talent around the clubs as lads seek to be the "designated player"
Robust transfer fee's would be incoming.
Supporters get to see good players
The league is more attractive for players. 

Cons: 
The FAI would need to actually care about the league. I'm under no illusions about the reality here. 
Investment would be needed.
Maybe English clubs wouldn't be as keen to shop here. 

Has anyone got any other ideas? A bit of imagination is needed!

El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:23pm
Players will only ever sign a 2 year deal if it is beneficial to them, it doesn't matter who subsidises them. The clubs will only offer them to players they are certain about, who are unlikely to sign them as they want to keep their options. That is the vicious circle. 
How do you know for certain which players to offer it to? Look at Maguire when he came to City and was on the verge of quitting the game, if he was offered a two year contract it would have been madness and in the end only agreed to signing an extra year with a low release clause.
Even if you increase the wages, it doesn't change much for the best players. I am also not sure how the association helping to pay wages would go down with UEFA, I can only assume it is unacceptable.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:32pm
I know the reality is that players who are on the verge of a big UK move will absolutely not sign a new deal here. That makes sense. 

I suppose I'm referring to the next tier of players who are young and doing well. For example, Sadlier at Cork, McAneff at Derry or Markey at Saints. There is absolutely a leap of faith required in some instances for sure. Even if they don't get their UK transfer, if they are a key performer for the duration of the contract then the club is probably happy with that. Ronan Finn could be an example in that case. 

I have absolutely no idea how UEFA would view a national association subsidizing wages per say but they certainly don't have an issue with them actually pumping money into their clubs! Look at the Icelandic FA. 

El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I know the reality is that players who are on the verge of a big UK move will absolutely not sign a new deal here. That makes sense. 

I suppose I'm referring to the next tier of players who are young and doing well. For example, Sadlier at Cork, McAneff at Derry or Markey at Saints. There is absolutely a leap of faith required in some instances for sure. Even if they don't get their UK transfer, if they are a key performer for the duration of the contract then the club is probably happy with that. Ronan Finn could be an example in that case. 

I have absolutely no idea how UEFA would view a national association subsidizing wages per say but they certainly don't have an issue with them actually pumping money into their clubs! Look at the Icelandic FA. 

Sadlier signed an 18 month deal with a one year option for the club. I know some of the more promising younger players like Griffin are on longer contracts too. I am sure Shamrock tied Finn down too.
There is a big difference between the association using the success of their national team to improve facilities and the like, through pumping tournament winnings into club facilities and paying wages for clubs. I am not sure what UEFA rule it would be breaking, but I am pretty sure it would be breaking one.

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:53pm

Every season, some top young talent leaves the LOI for England (or Scotland) for free or for a pittance. When you consider the money floating around across the water, it's obscene really. Given what clubs are prepared to pay each other in England for average or even poor players, it makes perfect sense for them to come here and snap up the likes of Boyle, Horgan, Towell or Maguire. If it doesn't work out then their clubs are protected as they haven't had to make much of an outlay. 

We all now the reasons why; short contracts on offer in Ireland and clubs don't have the cash to offer longer or better deals to secure their talent on multi year contracts blah blah blah.

Could each Prem LOI club nominate two/ three players each year and ask the FAI to help subsidize a 2 or 3 year deal? Maybe they each front half the cash each for wages. I understand that this would be a significant expense for the FAI but what if they split any transfer fee's taken in or organised some other mutually beneficial financial arrangement?

For example, there will be 10 Prem clubs next year. If they each have 2 "designated" players to nominate that would be 20 players. If the FAI and the clubs each offered the top players €2k per week between them on a two year deal with option to extend a year, that would be (€1K x 20 players x 52 weeks) just over a million euros a year for the FAI to shell out. We know that they are not fond of parting with their cash but what sort of transfer money would be coming in? If Dundalk had a strong bargaining hand with some of the players mentioned above, what sort of transfer fee could they have recouped? Chris Forrester left Pats for a reported €15k and within a couple of months, he was being touted as worth £3m (admittedly by his own chairman!). 

Pro's: 
There would be a spread of talent around the clubs as lads seek to be the "designated player"

Cons: 
The FAI would need to actually care about the league. I'm under no illusions about the reality here. 

Given clubs are offering contracts around the 49 week mark increasing wages from say 500 to 1000 as the clubs part that's a club forking out 40 weeks at 500 and 12 weeks at 1,000 per season so an extra 32k per club and then there's the case of the extra employers prsi of about 8K

Far more beneficial for the FAI to pour money into infrastructure and coaching then players wages.
I know nothing :-)
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Pro's: 

Cons: 

Given clubs are offering contracts around the 49 week mark increasing wages from say 500 to 1000 as the clubs part that's a club forking out 40 weeks at 500 and 12 weeks at 1,000 per season so an extra 32k per club and then there's the case of the extra employers prsi of about 8K

Far more beneficial for the FAI to pour money into infrastructure and coaching then players wages.
far more beneficial for who? English clubs? Would a more prominent, local league not be better for the fai brief ie the development of the game in Ireland?

The question here is should the fai guarantee contracts for young talented and potentially valuable players?

My preferred model would be a cental academy with players drafted to loi clubs with the association providing an alternative path to young players.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

My preferred model would be a central academy .....
SKB ?

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

SKB ?

no a national non partisan talent pool where the best are recruited, educated, develop within the league and funded by the fees they ultimately receive. Think rugby but for younger entrants
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:03pm

SKB ?

no a national non partisan talent pool where the best are recruited, educated, develop within the league and funded by the fees they ultimately receive. Think rugby but for younger entrants

An Irish Clairefontaine?
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 5:09pm

SKB ?

That has been my belief for years as well. I think just about any bit of money available in Irish football should have been pumped into a national academy somewhere on the outskirts of Dublin where they also get to finish their education and have all league sides affiliated with a nearby place of further education.
There is more chance of an Irish team winning a European competition.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:45pm

Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Pro's: 

Cons: 

far more beneficial for who? English clubs? Would a more prominent, local league not be better for the fai brief ie the development of the game in Ireland?

The question here is should the fai guarantee contracts for young talented and potentially valuable players?

My preferred model would be a cental academy with players drafted to loi clubs with the association providing an alternative path to young players.

How many players in the academy

What age limits

And how do you decide which clubs get which players and which club don't ?

Infrastructure grants and loans to allow clubs develop facilities including revenue generating function rooms and bars etc will allow clubs develop long term revenue generating facilities. Surely that is positive for clubs
I know nothing :-)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:45am
GF, what are the FAI currently doing in terms of Infrastructure grants and loans to develop function rooms and bars as a matter of interest? As illustrated above, I certainly don't have all the answers! 

The current situation where Championship and below English clubs can hoover up top talent for free (or next to it) on a no risk basis is very damaging for the league. Costs are high in England so why not collectively pop over here and cherry pick the top 20 LOI players every season for the foreseeable future. 

Wouldn't it be nice if we could gain fee's for players as well as generating revenues from bars and jersey sales etc? If Seanie Maguire scores a couple of goals in the Championship next month, what is value going to be? 
El Puto Amo
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 3:48pm
Conor o Malley gone to league one outfit. How much u reckon pats got for him and who's next to go (from the league)
alive and kicking
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Conor o Malley gone to league one outfit. How much u reckon pats got for him and who's next to go (from the league)

Supposedly a 6 figure sum just based on what I've read.

houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 4:25pm
I was told at the weekend that a recently signed Dundalk Player is earning €3400 per week. 

Surely this is bullsh*t. Guy who told me said he was told this from the player himself. 
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
KOH View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 5:29pm
recently signed for Preston maybe...........
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

€100k plus add ons I'd imagine
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic