You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barry Coffey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

A fair clear out of the Irish lads at Celtic this summer, Connell, Afolabi and Coffey all released without seeing a minute of competitive first team football at the club.

Lets hope its a different story for Kenny Lawal and Vata. 

The 3 lads above all gone to pre season training with Celtic I suspect will end up the same way. Kenny played 35 games with Sligo had a brilliant season only to make this move and play virtually no football. Has to be a huge worry as far as setting him back. Would be fine if Celtic utilised loans effectively but they don't seem to be a competent at that either.

I entirely see where you are coming from but Kenny got injured early in his Celtic career.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 6:34pm

A fair clear out of the Irish lads at Celtic this summer, Connell, Afolabi and Coffey all released without seeing a minute of competitive first team football at the club.

The 3 lads above all gone to pre season training with Celtic I suspect will end up the same way. Kenny played 35 games with Sligo had a brilliant season only to make this move and play virtually no football. Has to be a huge worry as far as setting him back. Would be fine if Celtic utilised loans effectively but they don't seem to be a competent at that either.

I entirely see where you are coming from but Kenny got injured early in his Celtic career.

No it's only after I posted it I thought yeah he did have injury issues. He has a first team squad number and has trained with them consistently. Would be great if one of them made it but you would have to be sceptical of the clubs track record with young players full stop not just Irish lads.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 6:55pm
To be fair he has the same squad number Afolabi had. I wouldn't read too much in to that. They likely promised him all sorts because they were competing with Hibs for his signature at the time. But realistically he's unlikely to make a serious breakthrough there, there will always be someone else signed and pushed in front of him.

Edited by You Tell Me - 05 Jul 2022 at 7:45pm
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 7:29pm

Kenny was playing with the Celtic B team towards the end of the season, made 7 appearances, scored 2 goals and created 1 assist.
When Kenny moved to Celtic he got covid and picked up an injury which kept him out for a few weeks until March, then got into the Celtic B team. So hopefully he starts this season with better luck and injury free. I doubt Kenny will see much game-time for the Celtic first team this season, maybe some early cup appearances if he is doing well in the Celtic B.
I can see Celtic keeping Kenny in the Celtic B for the first half of the season, get some training and development into him and see how he gets on, maybe send him on loan for the second half of the season.
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 10:51am
i have said before Celtic is no place for a lad coming from playing regularly in the LOI to go and play B team football , injured or not he would of been far better off at Hibs in terms of development.  He will end up on loan at a lower league club and then who knows what will happen.
royal rover
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 5:25pm
Kenny and Lawal start in Celtics first pre season friendly staring shortly as does McCarthy.

Also Vata is on the bench.

Edited by Double Maxim - 06 Jul 2022 at 5:39pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 5:29pm
Remember Max Cream who played for Wexford Youths and Shelbourne? I think Coffey and him would've been great in central midfield together.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 5:34pm
There was a point where it looked like we might have a Tee and Coffey midfield for Ireland some day when Conor Tee was with Leicester. Tee playing non league now and Coffey in the League of Ireland first division so it's not looking likely at this stage.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 5:42pm
Danny Drinkwater would have offered a midfield alternative.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 6:05pm

Kenny and Lawal start in Celtics first pre season friendly staring shortly as does McCarthy.

Also Vata is on the bench.

Kenny has scored twice in the first 25 minutes. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 6:16pm
Sounds like Kenny and Lawal have been decent, but McCarthy poor and unfit looking.

Opposition are from an Austrian lower division though so more of a training game really rather than a proper pre-season fixture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic