You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Get your nicks and socks on! : The Coaches Room
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Schoolboy football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudgunn1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:43am
"There are a fair few of these pitches in housing estates scattered around the South East alone!"

I'd struggle to name 5 in Dublin. 
Sponsored Links

GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by NearPost88 NearPost88 wrote:

I don't know if kids these days actually want it enough, if i'm being honest. I'd seriously question the mentality these days of the majority. Maybe its just me but look at any top, top player this country has had. Look at their demeanour and the way they interview or conduct themselves on a pitch. Most of the good ones we've had in the last few years (when I say few, I mean maybe a decade and a half or so) have actually captained Premier League clubs. That's no small feat.

Where are THOSE kinda mindsets coming from these days?

Id have to agree. I see it underage all the time. My young lad plays under 11 and they dont see to have that extra bit of drive. Its all teams not just his, they seem to loose a match and its forgotten about as soon as they step off the pitch. Now of course participation is hugely important and they are just kids at the end of the day and of course accepting defeat (and victory) is important. But you see the odd young lad who during the game is really up for it and wants to win and actually cares. These are few and far between tho. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 12 Nov 2018 at 1:48pm
NearPost88 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NearPost88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
Same. Winning isn't the be all and end all and I appreciate that maybe 1% might go on to play at even a high senior level, but when did everyone stop caring about losing? 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Originally posted by NearPost88 NearPost88 wrote:

I don't know if kids these days actually want it enough, if i'm being honest. I'd seriously question the mentality these days of the majority. Maybe its just me but look at any top, top player this country has had. Look at their demeanour and the way they interview or conduct themselves on a pitch. Most of the good ones we've had in the last few years (when I say few, I mean maybe a decade and a half or so) have actually captained Premier League clubs. That's no small feat.

Where are THOSE kinda mindsets coming from these days?

Id have to agree. I see it underage all the time. My young lad plays under 11 and they dont see to have that extra bit of drive. Its all teams not just his, they seem to loose a match and its forgotten about as soon as they step off the pitch. Now of course participation is hugely important and they are just kids at the end of the day and of course accepting defeat (and victory) is important. But you see the odd young lad who during the game is really up for it and wants to win and actually cares. These are few and far between tho. 

To put it into perspective going back to when I was still playing Youths football 06/07 season the majority of my team (roughly 9/10 players) either played with the mens A or B Team within the club on a Sunday.

I currently manage a Premier Division club in Carlow and between our A & B Team we have 1 youth playing.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:27pm
Killarney Celtic. Generally a strong club down that way?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Think Panteira might be your man to ask, he’s from that neck of the woods 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Think Panteira might be your man to ask, he’s from that neck of the woods 
Looking for someone to do a scouting mission😁
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 4:06pm
Kiltimagh Knock Utd. Strong schoolboy club down that way in general?? Mayo Mark etc...?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:51am
markooooo^^
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 8:25pm
Anyone in Cork fancy a scouting mission in the morning. Ringmahon. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 2:02pm

Looks like the DDSL are pulling the plug on Summer football. How is this going to work in relation to the LOI underage structure?

El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:29pm
Fantastic news and thankfully the Carlow League are following suit too.

It was a stupid decision in the first place, when you factor in how many kids play GAA as well as Soccer.

I know for a fact that plenty of clubs down here were going to have to pull teams as they wouldn't have had the numbers due to the high volume of kids playing GAA.

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

It was a stupid decision in the first place, when you factor in how many kids play GAA as well as Soccer.

I know for a fact that plenty of clubs down here were going to have to pull teams as they wouldn't have had the numbers due to the high volume of kids playing GAA.

Shortsighted. I'm from a country club and have the same issues but at least the players you are left with get better pitches, weather, and general conditions. Yes we will lose some players but others will gain. I get it that some teams will struggle to field but alternative solutions need to be looked at in these areas.

Also if kids are playing gaa if u have any sort of relationship with the gaa club u can arrange training on different evenings. Probably can concentrate on technical stuff coz they will be fir from the other sports! 

Now i fully understand u could be dealing with some dinosaurs that won't use common sense, i've dealt with a few......but i don't think this is a good enough reason to get rid of summer soccer.
It's not me it's you:-)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Shortsighted. I'm from a country club and have the same issues but at least the players you are left with get better pitches, weather, and general conditions. Yes we will lose some players but others will gain. I get it that some teams will struggle to field but alternative solutions need to be looked at in these areas.

Also if kids are playing gaa if u have any sort of relationship with the gaa club u can arrange training on different evenings. Probably can concentrate on technical stuff coz they will be fir from the other sports! 

Now i fully understand u could be dealing with some dinosaurs that won't use common sense, i've dealt with a few......but i don't think this is a good enough reason to get rid of summer soccer.

It's not shortsighted at all, it was the most logical decision to make.

There were numerous clubs in the Carlow League on the verge of losing the majority if not all of their whole juvenile set up in some cases.

The GAA season finishes in late September in Laois/Carlow/Wicklow/Kildare (teams from 4 counties play in Carlow) so there's minimal to no impact on the soccer, whereas if it went summer soccer down here you would have minimum 4 or 5 less teams in each underage division which would kill the league.

Most clubs have their own astro turf pitches around Carlow which is a godsend for training, any progressive club/clubs will communicate with the GAA clubs anyhow and swap training times/nights to make sure kids can play both also.

I'm currently running my local clubs academy, believe me even as a traditional big town club you could be sure we wouldn't have even half the teams we have now if summer soccer came in.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

It's not shortsighted at all, it was the most logical decision to make.

There were numerous clubs in the Carlow League on the verge of losing the majority if not all of their whole juvenile set up in some cases.

The GAA season finishes in late September in Laois/Carlow/Wicklow/Kildare (teams from 4 counties play in Carlow) so there's minimal to no impact on the soccer, whereas if it went summer soccer down here you would have minimum 4 or 5 less teams in each underage division which would kill the league.

Most clubs have their own astro turf pitches around Carlow which is a godsend for training, any progressive club/clubs will communicate with the GAA clubs anyhow and swap training times/nights to make sure kids can play both also.

I'm currently running my local clubs academy, believe me even as a traditional big town club you could be sure we wouldn't have even half the teams we have now if summer soccer came in.

Agreed. We're pulling out of 4/5 different gaa clubs too, would never have worked if it had gone ahead. Some of the coaches do both too which wouldn't have continued. In theory, summer makes sense. In reality, no
Some people just deserve a slap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic