You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting to the Aviva via Luas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by MarkDev MarkDev wrote:

I often drive up from Limerick(getting the train this time cause I'm having a few pints) usually drive straight out to ballsbridge and park in Pembroke hockey club, there is a ten Euro fee for parking but I find it very handy.

Hmm might do that actually. Do you know if you need to book a space? 
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

30 minute cycle from Red Cow to Lansdowne. Grand day for it too. Throw your bike in the back of the car.
it is in its bollox
35 minutes according to google? It would be longer than that surely?
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

30 minute cycle from Red Cow to Lansdowne. Grand day for it too. Throw your bike in the back of the car.
it is in its bollox

35 minutes according to google? It would be longer than that surely?

No sure it's all down hill from red cow
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:40pm
Red Cow - Long Mile - Crumlin Road - down the canal all the way Beer
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:44pm
Am I right in saying that I can get a commuter from cherry orchard park west to grand canal?
Mr Stupid View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:55pm
If you are in the East Stand its perfect to get the Luas to the Point. 10 minute walk across the East Link, up through Ringsend along the Dodder. There'll be a few doing it. Can be less hassle than the Dart.
Stupid like a fox
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:40pm
Yeah, I live just off that route. I'm 10 to 15 minutes from the Red Cow and 20 to 25 from the Aviva and have done both a few times. It is downhill from the red cow to the canal and down a bit along the canal, because there are a few locks where it drops (there are locks at Rathmines, Ranelagh and a couple beyond).

There are two concerns, however. The first is the wind: it gives an Easterly tomorrow, so it'll be into the wind, and it'll be cold tomorrow. Secondly, obviously it's uphill back, and it'll be late enough by the time you're going back, so you'll need lights and maybe hi-vis, although you'll have the wind at your back at that stage, hopefully.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Am I right in saying that I can get a commuter from cherry orchard park west to grand canal?

Yes, but only on the way in. On the way back after the game, it'll be a pain in the arse. You'd have to get to Heuston.

Also, it's a little out of the way from the M50. It's right by the M50 but between two junctions and tricky enough to get to.

Luas to the point is handier I reckon.
MarkDev View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkDev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:39am
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

I often drive up from Limerick(getting the train this time cause I'm having a few pints) usually drive straight out to ballsbridge and park in Pembroke hockey club, there is a ten Euro fee for parking but I find it very handy.

I never booked a space before.
Limerick your a Lady!
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:36am
hitting the road at 2pm looking to be at red cow at 3.30 from Tipperary, will decided then wheter to get Luas or go in along the canal as far as possible up to Blaasbridge. traffic could be busier with the us strikes
irish boogie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:50am
Originally posted by John W John W wrote:

hitting the road at 2pm looking to be at red cow at 3.30 from Tipperary, will decided then wheter to get Luas or go in along the canal as far as possible up to Blaasbridge. traffic could be busier with the us strikes

😱 Hope Trump strikes after the game 😂
Thank You Torun and Tyskie
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

I do this if I am driving. You don't need to book a space but it does be full and turning people away for some games (e.g. the Georgia game I arrived about 7 and it was full and had to find something on the road that I got lucky to find).

So I would advise to get there before 7.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:57am
There's loads of free parking after 7pm around Fitzwilliam Square and Place. Drive up, park there, walk 10mins to the stadium, happy days.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by John W John W wrote:

I hope they don't target your car, but by the sound of things you'll be confusing them with your final destination.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:03am
On a related  and helpful note, I usually park somewhere near the Pepper Canister Church (St. Stephen's) on Mount Street Upper, about 10 minutes walk to the ground. There's always parking after 7, as the office crowd have departed. It's very safe and mostly free of charge, although watch out for some 24 hour no parking, area signs.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Yeah, I live just off that route. I'm 10 to 15 minutes from the Red Cow and 20 to 25 from the Aviva and have done both a few times. It is downhill from the red cow to the canal and down a bit along the canal, because there are a few locks where it drops (there are locks at Rathmines, Ranelagh and a couple beyond).

There are two concerns, however. The first is the wind: it gives an Easterly tomorrow, so it'll be into the wind, and it'll be cold tomorrow. Secondly, obviously it's uphill back, and it'll be late enough by the time you're going back, so you'll need lights and maybe hi-vis, although you'll have the wind at your back at that stage, hopefully.

He'll be doing wheelies all the way back up the canal with 3 points in his little basket!

It's not that steep on the way back but will obviously be colder, and dark!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic