Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trap Retires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 1:34pm
No Alan Kelly Snr either. Only manager with a 100% record
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

6. Kevin Foley what happened to this lad was a farce should have went to the Euros like he was promised, all his family believed so too and booked for the tournament he was replaced by Paul Mcshane hardly a world beater no disrespect to the lad.  
8. Not winning enough games the first campaign we we're unbeaten and nothing can be taken away from that it was only done once before that in our history if I'm not wrong 1992 under Charlton so fair play to Trap, but we should have won a lot more matches that turned out to be draws we had better players than these sides and they were not up to much if MON was in charge it would been a lot different considering the four huge wins achieved over the past 18 months with a similar enough limited squad. Bulgaria at home, Montenegro at home, Slovakia home and away among others should have all been taken cared of Traps mentality would have been 1 point gained the realist would have said 2 points lost and rightly so. 

At least Trap could count....
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

So what we're getting at is that trap is probably our 3/4th best manager of the last 40 years...

1) Jack
2) Mick
3) MON
4) Trap
5) Kerr
6) Lamh
7) Stan

The elder statesmen here might tell me where Giles & Tuhoy would slot in
Who's Lamh?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">6. Kevin Foley what happened to this lad was a farce should have went to the Euros like he was promised, all his family believed so too and booked for the tournament he was replaced by Paul Mcshane hardly a world beater no disrespect to the lad. <span style="font-size: 12.8px;"> </span><div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">8. Not winning enough games the first campaign we we're unbeaten and nothing can be taken away from that it was only done once before that in our history if I'm not wrong 1992 under Charlton so fair play to Trap, but we should have won a lot more matches that turned out to be draws we had better players than these sides and they were not up to much if MON was in charge it would been a lot different considering the four huge wins achieved over the past 18 months with a similar enough limited squad. Bulgaria at home, Montenegro at home, Slovakia home and away among others should have all been taken cared of Traps mentality would have been 1 point gained the realist would have said 2 points lost and rightly so. 

At least Trap could count....

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

So what we're getting at is that trap is probably our 3/4th best manager of the last 40 years...

1) Jack
2) Mick
3) MON
4) Trap
5) Kerr
6) Lamh
7) Stan

Who's Lamh?

There should be a fada over the a...
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:52pm
Thumbs Up Makes sense now. I'd no idea what you were on about.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Trap's last campaign was a disaster and I'm not disputing that, and it cost him him job.

What I am saying though is that if the criteria was the same, people would be calling for O'Neills head.

The criteria weren't the same though. This wasn't sprung upon us after the group had finished. Everyone knew what was required of them. We got out of an extremely tough group, where both teams in the top two were eventually only narrowly defeated by the two tournament finalists. 

It's the same way you said earlier "we beat France 1-0 over 90 minutes to force extra time" as one of the big achievements, as though the criteria to record a big win were the same as a normal match. They weren't due to going 1-0 down in the first leg, and France came into that match with a lead to defend. While we'll never know what would have happened if it were 0-0 on aggregate or a one-off game, the dynamic of the game was completely different. We tied that game up on aggregate.

You can't point to the greatness of one of those achievements and diminish the other in my opinion. The fact is the goalposts were moved for both before a ball was kicked.

I'm happy to give Trap credit for his accomplishments, judged against everyone in the past 20 years he was a good manager for us, he made us competitive, hard to beat, and delivered a major tournament. He took us as far as he could and eventually reached a ceiling where he could take us no further. I believe Martin O'Neill has been a better one for us and has built on the work done by Trap, but I'm grateful for what Trap achieved.
Spot on.

+1
Excellent post OTRD Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:58pm
Whatever you may think of his tenure as Irish manager he qualified us for a major tournament, something only 4 managers in our history have done and although it was a disaster in Poland many will have memories that will last a lifetime from it. 

I wanted him gone after the Euro's and was livid to see him still in charge over it, after previously being a big fan of his but all in all he deserves respect and best of luck to him in retirement. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Trap's last campaign was a disaster and I'm not disputing that, and it cost him him job.

What I am saying though is that if the criteria was the same, people would be calling for O'Neills head.

The criteria weren't the same though. This wasn't sprung upon us after the group had finished. Everyone knew what was required of them. We got out of an extremely tough group, where both teams in the top two were eventually only narrowly defeated by the two tournament finalists. 

It's the same way you said earlier "we beat France 1-0 over 90 minutes to force extra time" as one of the big achievements, as though the criteria to record a big win were the same as a normal match. They weren't due to going 1-0 down in the first leg, and France came into that match with a lead to defend. While we'll never know what would have happened if it were 0-0 on aggregate or a one-off game, the dynamic of the game was completely different. We tied that game up on aggregate.

You can't point to the greatness of one of those achievements and diminish the other in my opinion. The fact is the goalposts were moved for both before a ball was kicked.

I'm happy to give Trap credit for his accomplishments, judged against everyone in the past 20 years he was a good manager for us, he made us competitive, hard to beat, and delivered a major tournament. He took us as far as he could and eventually reached a ceiling where he could take us no further. I believe Martin O'Neill has been a better one for us and has built on the work done by Trap, but I'm grateful for what Trap achieved.

That's fair comment.

I always judge our managers against our history. For me, we should always aim to be finishing in the top 2 of our groups and Trap got us back there after 3 campaigns out of it. The fact that both Kerr's campaigns went to the last game is irrelevant to me given how timid we were in both those games. Both campaigns ended with a whimper.

O'Neill certainly did better in the finals than Trap did but again it's not comparing like with like due to the bigger tournament in terms of teams which led to easier groups and 3rd being enough to get out of the group. He's certainly on schedule to be better but if he was to fail to make a play off in this campaign that would have to be reassessed. I hope and don't believe that will be the case though!
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

We lost to Iran

That we did my apologies

yeah but we lost to France in the campaign it's being compared against. So we haven't had an unbeaten campaign in decades.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 6:10pm

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Some of us aren't engaging in revisionism. 

But whats wrong with revisionism anyway? If its ok to judge the Trap era in the context of what came before him when Stan was in charge, then it is perfectly acceptable to also judge the Trap era in the context of what followed it under MON. That's revisionism, but only for those who bought what Trap was selling in the first place. For the rest of us, we haven't had to revise our opinions at all.

A man like Trap comes in and tells us we haven't got the players, he turns his nose up at our football pedigree and tells us we can't be beating top teams, and sets the team up in a negative manner so as to avoid defeats to these top teams (at the expense of ever trying to win). If people are going to go along with that then they are entitled to revise their opinion when Trap's successor comes in and effectively calls bullsh*t.

And the reality is, should Martin O'Neill get this team to the World Cup, and dare we say it, even manage to win the qualifying group in the process, then that achievement will result in even more revisionism of the Trap era.

We were beating Italy the World Champions at home 2-1 until they scored in the last minute, we should have beated Slovakia 2-1 away from home only for Keane to miss a peno, probably the only peno he missed for Ireland.

We beat France 1-0 away from home in Paris for it to go to extra time.

Trap is from an era where you keep it tight at the back, and play with a structured team, this worked and was effective but not pleasant to watch.

Also, the vast majority of them play at a lower level. Coleman and to a less extent Brady are the only 2 players of a high calibre. Odd that Brady is playing the championship and is not close to s a move to a higher level.

You can't start talking about near misses, and only apply them to Trap's reign. In another post you try and make a point about MON only finishing third; why not say we were a missed Richard Keogh header against Poland from getting a 2-2 draw and finishing second? You have to be consistent in your argument, apply the same standards to judge both managers. 

Anyway, f**k "nearly". We didn't get the results. Simple as. 

You talk about how Trap kept us "tight at the back, and play with a structured team, this worked and was effective", and this just a couple of lines after referencing us nearly beating Italy. Can you not remember how they equalised? John O'Shea came marauding up the pitch from central defence into the Italian half to challenge for the ball, for reasons only he can tell. We lost the ball and got caught out with O'Shea out of position. It was a self-inflicted concession, far removed from keeping it tight at the back. Sometimes these things don't come down to bad luck. 

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 2:57am

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Mixed fortunes he had. He was blessed to have the FAI as his employers regardless. 

Nobody else would have touched him after the Euros debacle despite him claiming he had loads of offers which sort of blotted his warm nature. Not sure what he wanted/needed to prove with that. 

He had a long successful career and was long finished when he still managed us to our worst campaign in 3 decades and should have resigned after the Germany home match. 

And to think the amount of money you spend on bedsheets during those campaigns too.

Was Kerr's campaign not worse? couldn't be arsed checking.

Both finished 4th anyway.

We lost 4 matches in Trap's last campaign. We lost 1 in Kerr's 06' campaign and could have topped the group in the last 30 mins.

Edited by Pipkin - 22 Jan 2017 at 2:59am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 10:35am

Mixed fortunes he had. He was blessed to have the FAI as his employers regardless. 

Nobody else would have touched him after the Euros debacle despite him claiming he had loads of offers which sort of blotted his warm nature. Not sure what he wanted/needed to prove with that. 

He had a long successful career and was long finished when he still managed us to our worst campaign in 3 decades and should have resigned after the Germany home match. 

And to think the amount of money you spend on bedsheets during those campaigns too.

Was Kerr's campaign not worse? couldn't be arsed checking.

Both finished 4th anyway.

We lost 4 matches in Trap's last campaign. We lost 1 in Kerr's 06' campaign and could have topped the group in the last 30 mins.

But we didn't top it. We came 4th and with one of the strongest Ireland's we've had.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 11:00am

1) Jack
2) Mick
3) MON
4) Trap
5) Kerr
6) Lamh
7) Stan

I would agree with that - 4th best which is no shame.
I will always be grateful to him for getting us to 2012 and nearly to 2010 with a limited squad. After the Paris match, that was the first time in years the managers, fans and the public were all united.

He should have left after the Euros but Jack and Mick also should have left after major tournaments.

He didn't get everything right but he did good.

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

1) Jack
2) Mick
3) MON
4) Trap
5) Kerr
6) Lamh
7) Stan

I will always be grateful to him for getting us to 2012 and nearly to 2010 with a limited squad. After the Paris match, that was the first time in years the managers, fans and the public were all united.

He should have left after the Euros but Jack and Mick also should have left after major tournaments.

I see this mentioned earlier in this thread as well for Charlton , can't agree. His record for 1994 just til the world cup stood at us getting to the last 16 of the world cup, beating one of the best two teams in the world at the time in their opening game, beating both Holland and Germany in their own backyards. Not to mention his campaign achievements for Euro 96 up until mid 1995: handing NI their heaviest home defeat in 100 years in Belfast, beating the emerging super team Portugal and destroying England before it got called off. There was no logical reason for his to step down after USA 94, not to mention the fupping weather and humidity. 

Hindsight is easy I know but there was no need for Charlton or McCarthy to step down after their respective world cups. McCarthy even less reason at the time. Ok 2 freak results but we still managed to stay in it til the last game in Basle, where I'd have more faith in McCarthy rather than Kerr to play attacking football if we needed the win. 

In Trap's care spot on though. 
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

1) Jack
2) Mick
3) MON
4) Trap
5) Kerr
6) Lamh
7) Stan

I see this mentioned earlier in this thread as well for Charlton , can't agree. His record for 1994 just til the world cup stood at us getting to the last 16 of the world cup, beating one of the best two teams in the world at the time in their opening game, beating both Holland and Germany in their own backyards. Not to mention his campaign achievements for Euro 96 up until mid 1995: handing NI their heaviest home defeat in 100 years in Belfast, beating the emerging super team Portugal and destroying England before it got called off. There was no logical reason for his to step down after USA 94, not to mention the fupping weather and humidity. 

Hindsight is easy I know but there was no need for Charlton or McCarthy to step down after their respective world cups. McCarthy even less reason at the time. Ok 2 freak results but we still managed to stay in it til the last game in Basle, where I'd have more faith in McCarthy rather than Kerr to play attacking football if we needed the win. 

In Trap's care spot on though. 

Edit: I should correct myself that the North didn't exist 100 years ago, but I'm fairly sure we handed them their largest home defeat in their history at the time, maybe even the same since. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 2:23pm
Applied for the South Africa job apparently

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 12:45pm
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/giovanni-trapattoni-retire-ireland-team-11841576

His missus said she'd change the locks on the gaff if he took a job in Africa or China

Edited by Denis Irwin - 13 Jan 2018 at 12:46pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic