You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

U2's 40 greatest songs – ranked! | Culture | The Guardian @MIUI| https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/may/21/u2s-40-greatest-songs-ranked
Some absolutely woejus picks there and there are 42 songs on it, not 40.

I hate the way these lists try to balance things out over different eras and different albums. Fact is, Pop in 1997 was the last interesting U2 album and that was a downgrade on their 1990s stuff up to 1995. 

Their material from 2000 on has fallen off a cliff - I doubt even one song they've done in the last 20 years is among their 40 best. This list is ludicrously generous towards their 21st century output and also includes one of the worst tracks from Pop.

Edited by sid waddell - 22 May 2020 at 5:06pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 5:22pm
Not in any particular preference my top five

I Will Follow
October
Bad
Pride
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.

Edited by Double Maxim - 22 May 2020 at 6:51pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 5:51pm
Music hackery is one of the worst types of hackery. 

Only a music hack would rank Beautiful Day at 9 and Pride at 26 in a list of best U2 songs.

And not include Zoo Station, Acrobat, A Sort of Homecoming, Running To Stand Still or One Tree Hill in their top 42 songs. 

Level 42, not U2 is more yer man's level.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

[QUOTE=Double Maxim]U2's 40 greatest songs – ranked! | Culture | The Guardian @MIUI| https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/may/21/u2s-40-greatest-songs-ranked
Some absolutely woejus picks there and there are 42 songs on it, not 40.

I hate the way these lists try to balance things out over different eras and different albums. Fact is, Pop in 1997 was the last interesting U2 album and that was a downgrade on their 1990s stuff up to 1995. 

Their material from 2000 on has fallen off a cliff - I doubt even one song they've done in the last 20 years is among their 40 best. This list is ludicrously generous towards their 21st century output and also includes one of the worst tracks from 

Edited by ripbomb - 22 May 2020 at 6:27pm
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:29pm
My top 5
1. Running to standstill
2. With or without you
3. Lemon
4. Mysterious ways
5. Love is bigger
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Music hackery is one of the worst types of hackery. 

Only a music hack would rank Beautiful Day at 9 and Pride at 26 in a list of best U2 songs.

And not include Zoo Station, Acrobat, A Sort of Homecoming, Running To Stand Still or One Tree Hill in their top 42 songs. 

Level 42, not U2 is more yer man's level.
Petridis is a decent music writer, this sort of fluff is deliberately written to provoke response and debate. He has done similar with artists I like and would disagree with it entirely.  He knows what he is doing. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 7:32pm

Look what I shared: The Edge on U2's New SiriusXM Station, Band's Future Plans - Rolling Stone @MIUI| https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-edge-u2-new-siriusxm-station-1021360/
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:47pm
Ronan Keating going to release a cover of " Where the streets have no name"..... NO!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Ronan Keating going to release a cover of " Where the streets have no name"..... NO!

Where the Streets have no name no. You said it best when you said nothing at all 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:45pm
Sinead O'Connor has set up a U2 tribute band for local dyslexics called Nothing Compares 2U
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

I want to feel shunlice on my fasche...where the shreets have no name

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 06 Oct 2021 at 9:04pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic