You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North of Ireland Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

My understanding was that South Armagh and East Tyrone didn't report to Northern Command which is why both of them were so successful.

John Crawley touched on this in his book - anything NC got wind of got compromised.

Adams and McGuinness both spoke and dealt with the Brits at a high level, so I always felt it was lazy that they were considered agents, usually by Loyalists or dissidents to smear their names.

East Tyrone reported to Northern Command. There was a lot of frustration with this as the Tyrone IRA were adamant they could take out key Loyalists but Northern Command would not give the go- ahead. They wanted uniformed targets. Richard O'Rawe's book on Stakeknife touches on this as does Death in the Fields- East Tyrone. There had been a lot of cock ups throughout the North so from 1986 ops had to be vetted by Northern Command. I am absolutely convinced the leak in regards Loughall came from there and so was Gerard Harte. 

South Armagh did their own thing but high profile attacks like Breen and Buchanan would have needed a lot of logistics. From what I have read it seems they did report to Northern Command in regards larger attacks but kept their briefings, well brief, and never divulged the full picture to anyone bar those at a very senior level in South Armagh. 

Two more interesting thoughts. Brendan Hughes was convinced the Internal Security Unit was hopelessly compromised. He had five names he believed were agents. He also told Seamus Kearney of the IRA that Scap could not have acted alone. Others around him would have reported some of his behaviour otherwise. They didn't because they were agents too. Added to that, Scap became head of the ISU in 1986- there is a real possibility he was the man who betrayed the Gibraltar three. He had some history with Dan McCann and the ISU had to vet Belfast Brigade operations from 1986 onwards. Between then and 1991 the only ops that got through were either the off the opportunist jobs, ops not reported to the ISU(Dan McCann was linked to the murder of two RUC Special Branch officers at the Donegal Quay bar in Belfast in 1987- this OP had not passed by the ISU) and ops the Brits allowed to go through. Not too much of note happened operations wise in Belfast in that period against security forces.

Edited by Stickittotheman - 24 Mar 2024 at 10:05pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Were there many suspicions over Rose Dugdale?
English woman who’s da was a Tory joining the Ra 
Surely they had to do a lot of checks to make sure she was genuine 

Dugdale was just seen as a bit of a mad eccentric. An idealist in the mould of Constance Markievicz. I would be fairly sure there would have been massive suspicion about her at the beginning but it would have been clear pretty quickly she was clean.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Were there many suspicions over Rose Dugdale?
English woman who’s da was a Tory joining the Ra 
Surely they had to do a lot of checks to make sure she was genuine 

She didn't join the IRA though.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 12:50pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 4:15pm
There were two gunmen, the other like Hucker was in his 20s at the time and subsequently spent a fair whack of his life in jail for other IRA activities but never did time for the hit on Murphy.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 54 minutes ago at 1:35pm
"The true story of a lost documentary, secretly filmed inside the IRA, it then vanished"

The Secret Army - On tonight 9o'clock on BBC2 for anyone interested..

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 44 minutes ago at 7:45pm
I remember reading Murder Machine, a book about a crew in the Gambino crime family, and there was a bit about how Joe Doherty of the IRA's Belfast brigade was a cellmate of Gambino capo Nino Gaggi in the Metropolitan Correctional Centre in the 80s. Gaggi didn't get prompt treatment when he was having a heart attack and would subsequently die. It was Doherty who angrily demanded help while the prison staff sat on their backsides.

Doherty, on the run and facing extradition for murdering a member of the SAS in a street battle, was a bit of a cause celebre in New York at that time. The infamous Gambino boss John Gotti admired his courage and honesty and would say of him: "What I did, I did for money. What he did, he did for his country."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 37 minutes ago at 7:52pm
Slightly unrelated but you'll like the James English's podcast with the IRA members. Sam Millar\Seamus Kearney and John Crawley

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 6 minutes ago at 9:23pm

Slightly unrelated but you'll like the James English's podcast with the IRA members. Sam Millar\Seamus Kearney and John Crawley

How dare you link a platform that gives massive exposure to far right bigots and misogynists. The interviews are soft and just weak. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 43 minutes ago at 9:46pm

Thumbs Up
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 40 minutes ago at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

"The true story of a lost documentary, secretly filmed inside the IRA, it then vanished"

Renowned shoneen Darragh McIntyre a right Helen Lovejoy with the mock outrage as to be expected in this. Same bollox who doorstepped people browbeating them about disappearing Robert Nairac. As if whatever happened to Nairac wasn't too good for him.

I'm not letting it completely ruin it for me anyway. It's right interesting stuff.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 19 minutes ago at 8:10am

Was this pulled or was it only on bbc2 NI ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 7 minutes ago at 8:22am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Was this pulled or was it only on bbc2 NI ? 
On in the FS, main trust was a accusations that the central characters in the company who made the original documentary may have been working for the CIA and Mossad to infiltrate the Provos...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 minutes ago at 9:27am
Was an anti-climax that show I thought. Bored by the end of it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125
  Share Topic