You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Austria v EIRE Score Prediction Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 5:15pm
So much depends on the selections for the centre half positions.

Midfield has been a problem but its good players playing badly, I expect them to improve with the stakes so high the next day.

I don't go along with the "hard to see where the goals will come from" statements. We've 6 goals in this campaign. One each from two of our strikers, one from a midfielder, one from a right back, two from a winger. Austria have been leaking goals. I think we'll get a couple over there. Home advantage for them added to our brittle mentality and poor form and seeming willingness to settle for a draw, means I'm going for a 2-2. A victory is not out of the equation but can't predict it with any confidence. 
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

Kevboy View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 6:05pm
Don't see any reason why we can't come away from this one with at least a point.
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 7:06pm
On one hand the pressure is on them going into the game so I'd be happy with a draw, I can see us losing and I think we really need to win this one actually. The basis for that being that even after we play Austria they will have the advantage of having to play one less 'big' game that us, granted they lost and we didn't but that could easily change. 

I'd hope for us to go out looking for the three points, even if we only get 1. I fear we will go from the start trying to hang on for a draw and they might work against us. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Kevboy Kevboy wrote:

Don't see any reason why we can't come away from this one with at least a point.

You seen our defence the last 3 games? 

We need to seriously tighten up or we'll be punished.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 7:43pm
tough one to call, think we might lose 2-1 or maybe scrape a 1-1.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 9:15pm
Went for:

Serbia 0-4 Ire
Ire 4-0 Georgia
Moldova 0-4 Ire

So will go for

Austria 0-4 Ire
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Went for:

Serbia 0-4 Ire
Ire 4-0 Georgia
Moldova 0-4 Ire

So will go for

Austria 0-4 Ire
bound to happen sometime in the next 100 years 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:28pm
2-1 Ireland

Brady and Long
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

On one hand the pressure is on them going into the game so I'd be happy with a draw, I can see us losing and I think we really need to win this one actually. The basis for that being that even after we play Austria they will have the advantage of having to play one less 'big' game that us, granted they lost and we didn't but that could easily change. 

I'd hope for us to go out looking for the three points, even if we only get 1. I fear we will go from the start trying to hang on for a draw and they might work against us. 

Don't really get this. So if the fixtures had worked out like we'd lost 5-0 against serbia in our first game, then 6-0 against wales second game and Austria had played Georgia and Moldova we'd have a massive advantage over them having gotten two 'big' games out of the way? 

They lost in Serbia, we didnt. so that's 1 point over them. They have a point at home to Wales. So that's us with 1 big game 1 point, them with 2 big games and 1 point. Don't really see the advantage

Unless Serbia fielded an ineligible player the fact they lost and we didn't is somewhat unlikely to change

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 12 Oct 2016 at 11:34pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 12:19am
What people need to realise is unlike our trip to Scotland in 2014 ( I think they can sort of be compared) is Austria are under huge pressure to win and are already on a downer whereas the Scottish team we play had confidence. We need a performance like Bosnia at home. let Austria have the ball all they want but when they go forward get in there face's and force mistakes and when he do have the ball make the most of our chances, You can in a way compare Bosnia and Austria as teams. I have a sneaky feeling that we might sneak this match, what's key is we keep Austria out for 45-60 mins as the longer the game goes on and they haven't scored the more pressure build and if there feeling the pressure after 5 minutes imagine what it will be like after 65 mins? Austria have to win, if they dont it could well be curtains as I can't see a team dropping points at home twice and still advancing as unlike european qualifying there is no 3rd place position for a team to fall back on. All hinges on the team selection and I feel our best chance of victory is if we play Wes Hoolahan, he is the sort of player who will cause that Austrian defence absolute havoc.
Hi Lads
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 1:26am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Don't really get this. So if the fixtures had worked out like we'd lost 5-0 against serbia in our first game, then 6-0 against wales second game and Austria had played Georgia and Moldova we'd have a massive advantage over them having gotten two 'big' games out of the way? 

They lost in Serbia, we didnt. so that's 1 point over them. They have a point at home to Wales. So that's us with 1 big game 1 point, them with 2 big games and 1 point. Don't really see the advantage

Unless Serbia fielded an ineligible player the fact they lost and we didn't is somewhat unlikely to change

What I'm getting that is that even after we meet Austria (and for the sake of argument results against the other sides work out equally for the big 4), we'd still have one more opportunity to win / lose / draw than they have, whereas they will have one more 'big' game out of the way over us. The fact they lost in Belgrade will only count good to us provided we don't lose ourselves in the next year. What I'm getting at is a draw in Vienna will only be a good result provided we don't lose elsewhere later on.

Taking the worse case scenario that we lose a game next year, a win in Vienna would give us a three point cushion over them regardless, a one point gap on the other hand is doable for Austria going into the last game when they play Moldova and we play Wales. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

What people need to realise is unlike our trip to Scotland in 2014 ( I think they can sort of be compared) is Austria are under huge pressure to win and are already on a downer whereas the Scottish team we play had confidence. We need a performance like Bosnia at home. let Austria have the ball all they want but when they go forward get in there face's and force mistakes and when he do have the ball make the most of our chances, You can in a way compare Bosnia and Austria as teams. I have a sneaky feeling that we might sneak this match, what's key is we keep Austria out for 45-60 mins as the longer the game goes on and they haven't scored the more pressure build and if there feeling the pressure after 5 minutes imagine what it will be like after 65 mins? Austria have to win, if they dont it could well be curtains as I can't see a team dropping points at home twice and still advancing as unlike european qualifying there is no 3rd place position for a team to fall back on. All hinges on the team selection and I feel our best chance of victory is if we play Wes Hoolahan, he is the sort of player who will cause that Austrian defence absolute havoc.

Now have a agree with that one .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 9:50am

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

What I'm getting that is that even after we meet Austria (and for the sake of argument results against the other sides work out equally for the big 4), we'd still have one more opportunity to win / lose / draw than they have, whereas they will have one more 'big' game out of the way over us. The fact they lost in Belgrade will only count good to us provided we don't lose ourselves in the next year. What I'm getting at is a draw in Vienna will only be a good result provided we don't lose elsewhere later on.

Taking the worse case scenario that we lose a game next year, a win in Vienna would give us a three point cushion over them regardless, a one point gap on the other hand is doable for Austria going into the last game when they play Moldova and we play Wales. 

Although even if we do lose a game next year it'd probably be a bigger gap considering we'd have already gotten that Moldova game out of the way while they'd played some other 'big' game
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 11:12pm
This would be an ideal match to turn into a premier league style end to end game.This would fully show up Austria's main weakness ; their poor defence. Is there any chance of this happening? Our course not, our manager is Martin O'Neill. He will spend the next Month planning a Rourke's drift/ The Alamo style hold out. A pity, as a very open game would frighten Austria to death, as they will be looking very unlikely to qualify if they lose. Ireland can be a lot more comfortable about the idea of losing, as that would just even up the group again with everything to play for. Will Ireland use this huge psychological advantage? Sadly I don't think so.

Prediction : Austria 2 Eire 0

(the best thing that will happen will be in the 89th minute, when Harry Artery as someone on here calls him becomes a fully blooded Irishman)

Edited by TonyNotJack - 13 Oct 2016 at 11:58pm
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:40am
Austria 1 Ireland 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic