You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 383940
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:46am
Aye, no one more deserving than Canning for finally getting that celtic cross and the individual award when he probably should have got it a few times before.

Dont think anyone will really begrudge him either.

But if these things are to continue to mean something i think ye have to play it straight and it wasnt really vintage joe all year where Barron was consistently excellent
@AntrimMan85
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:56am
For sure and I've no doubt that when most genuine Hurling fans saw Joe pick up the award most will say "look he probably deserved one at some point over the last decade" but is the award not based on how a player performed in 2017 solely and not say last year or a few years back LOL

I mean has Colm Cooper not been as influential in Gaelic Football as Joe Canning has in Hurling?

Yet, he never got FOTY despite being the best forward of his generation (imo)

All in all I don't begrudge Canning winning a HOTY award because he should have had one before 2017, but noway should it be the 2017 award. 

Edited by Green Devil - 04 Nov 2017 at 12:57am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 1:07am
Yep, fully agree, but there is a history of this stuff happening and the allstars is a bit of a flawed concept anyway, politically, they do their best to get semi finalists represented, and while that is fair enough in one way, teams become unbalanced in another. 

Had Tipp's best player been a forward this year (say Callinan), he would have got in, Paraic Maher wouldn't have, but TDB and not a Tipp player would have got the allstar in the HB line, with a WD forward dropping out. That doesn't appear to make sense, but that is more or less what happens.  Mark Coleman owes his allstar to SOK getting picked over Nash, had Nash been picked on goal, a 3rd Cork player wouldn't have made the team and it would have been a WD one (TDB) instead. 

Its all a bit odd, but basically if a tight call goes the way of one team in one position, they will make the call the other way in the other tight call position to balance it out. 

HOTY- think people felt it was just Joe's turn, good luck to him. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 1:17am
Many people felt the hurler of the year was Gearóid McInerney and he wasn't even included. 
The only way is up
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 2:35am
In fairness it was probably the championships's stand out moment of brilliance, the point against Tipp. Was sitting right in front of him when he stroked that ball over the bar and very few players if any currently could have made it look as 'easy' as Canning did. On balance Barron probably deserved it but Joe does have that X factor!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:01am
Joe Canning wasnt even Galway's best forward this year never mind HOTY. However as said above he was alway going to get it this year and hard to begrudge him. YHOTY a tight call. Whelan had an unreal start to the Champiobship before fading a bit and ending on a high. Coleman was quiet in his last game so on balance probably just abour a fair call.

Would have given Touhy an All Star too instead of Mannion but each to their own.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 11:15pm
Dotsy O'Callaghan retires from Dublin, always liked watching him on form, an old school corner forward. Gavin O'Mahony retires from Limerick. 30 years old, and it is getting rarer to see anyone over that age play intercounty these days, the above Dotsy being one of the few exceptions. 
Clare had a few retirees over the last few weeks as well, Brendan Bugler, Colin Ryan & Pat Donnellan. 
Derek McGrath is the last manager in the country to be ''ratified''.  

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 383940
  Share Topic