You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are you rooting for Iceland ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you rooting for Iceland ?
    Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 6:13pm
Genetic studies in Iceland reveal about 20% of the males and 63% of the females have Irish ancestry!
http://www.icelandicroots.com/irish-roots-in-iceland/
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:40pm
Great!
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:44pm
Where I come from rooting means to fart, so no, I will not.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by UglyAmerican UglyAmerican wrote:

Genetic studies in Iceland reveal about 20% of the males and 63% of the females have Irish ancestry!
That can't be true, Icelandic women are hot.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by UglyAmerican UglyAmerican wrote:

Tenuous connection to the ROI section...
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Ciano316 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciano316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:21pm
Can't beat a good underdog story. Thumbs Up
Lovely people as well.
I Love Loft.
twitter - @Ciano316
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 12:06am
I'm just gutted we didn't hang on to face them.....I believe we could have done what Engerland couldn't against Iceland
UglyAmerican View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 6:08am
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

I'm just gutted we didn't hang on to face them.....I believe we could have done what Engerland couldn't against Iceland
Nah they actually scored 2 goals any team that scores 2 goals in better than Ireland.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 7:57am
Little did the Vikings know when they pillaged our island in the 1st millennia that a thousand years later we'd be rooting for the descendants of their slaves. Hon Iceland
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 10:08am
supporting Iceland due to the fact that the French are bad winners.
also, we would have beaten both Iceland and England the other night
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 1:40pm
Sure, love an underdog.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

Based on what?

They finished second in their qualifying group, second in their euros group beating the Dutch twice. They drew with Portugal and Hungary and beat Austria and England. They defended brilliantly in all of their games, something we failed to do against Sweden, Belgium and France.

Iceland have had a far, far superior campaign (and qualifying campaign, even their WC Qualifying campaign before it was better) to Ireland.

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Based on what?

They finished second in their qualifying group, second in their euros group beating the Dutch twice. They drew with Portugal and Hungary and beat Austria and England. They defended brilliantly in all of their games, something we failed to do against Sweden, Belgium and France.

Iceland have had a far, far superior campaign (and qualifying campaign, even their WC Qualifying campaign before it was better) to Ireland.

Iceland are a carbon copy of us, granted probably better organized at the roles they do.......but in a one off winner takes all game I reckon we'd have the better quality to do them
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:45pm
I think England, Holland and Portugal all had better quality. It is like the Wales debate all over again, because we think we are a bigger football nation we condescend, I suppose we don't often get the chance. Iceland came from a goal down to beat a team of hugely paid superstars and showed the team is bigger than any individual. England can moan about poor performances and tactical ineptitude but Iceland cruised that game, the actually looked dangerous on the break, while England were completely out of ideas about how to beat their system at the end. Of course we may have beaten them, but we have to learn not to be so dismissive. For a French team that has stuttered to the quarter final without playing anybody of note, no disrespect to ourselves, they won't fancy this. I think at this stage they would have rathered a big name.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think England, Holland and Portugal all had better quality. It is like the Wales debate all over again, because we think we are a Iceland came from a goal down to beat a team of hugely paid superstars and showed the team is bigger than any individual. England can moan about poor performances and tactical ineptitude but Iceland cruised that game, the actually looked dangerous on the break, while England were completely out of ideas about how to beat their system at the end. Of course we may have beaten them, but we have to learn not to be so dismissive. For a French team that has stuttered to the quarter final without playing anybody of note, no disrespect to ourselves, they won't fancy this. I think at this stage they would have rathered a big name.
bigger football nation we condescend, I suppose we don't often get the chance

So it's ok in your book to condescend your own? that's what you did....

Ourselves and to an extent the North would have been a bad match up for Iceland, it's the same game
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 3:33pm

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Based on what?

Iceland are a carbon copy of us, granted probably better organized at the roles they do.......but in a one off winner takes all game I reckon we'd have the better quality to do them

because of this mayomark...

and if you're bringing in qualifying campaigns, we took 4 out of a possible 6 from the krauts

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 4:09pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think England, Holland and Portugal all had better quality. It is like the Wales debate all over again, because we think we are a Iceland came from a goal down to beat a team of hugely paid superstars and showed the team is bigger than any individual. England can moan about poor performances and tactical ineptitude but Iceland cruised that game, the actually looked dangerous on the break, while England were completely out of ideas about how to beat their system at the end. Of course we may have beaten them, but we have to learn not to be so dismissive. For a French team that has stuttered to the quarter final without playing anybody of note, no disrespect to ourselves, they won't fancy this. I think at this stage they would have rathered a big name.
bigger football nation we condescend, I suppose we don't often get the chance

So it's ok in your book to condescend your own? that's what you did....

Ourselves and to an extent the North would have been a bad match up for Iceland, it's the same game

Have you not read my book? I am in favour of equal opportunities condescension.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic