You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galvin 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 10:56pm
Was in Dublin a few weeks ago, after hearing our English accents, we had a lovely young girl in Supermacs telling me and two of the lads I go to the games with that English fans were a disgrace and we should be ashamed. Could not be bothered to waste my breath to tell her we have been going to away games since before she was born and that we didn't see her in Tbilisi. You will always get ignorant eejits who listen to an accent and immediately prejudge. You only tend to get eejits like that for the bigger games, thankfully.

My apologies for my English accent, awright geezers?!
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Galvin 88 Galvin 88 wrote:

Was in Dublin a few weeks ago, after hearing our English accents, we had a lovely young girl in Supermacs telling me and two of the lads I go to the games with that English fans were a disgrace and we should be ashamed. Could not be bothered to waste my breath to tell her we have been going to away games since before she was born and that we didn't see her in Tbilisi. You will always get ignorant eejits who listen to an accent and immediately prejudge. You only tend to get eejits like that for the bigger games, thankfully.

My apologies for my English accent, awright geezers?!
Hate to say this Gav but  "young girl in Supermacs" kind of says it all really .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:22am
LOL

would not take that too personally either mate. 

Would be like one of the lads calling me a mick c*nt in one of Stepney Greens 10 chicken shops or Spoons in Stratford. 

Galvin 88 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galvin 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 1:27pm
LOL Too true, not sure how we ended up in Supermacs anyway...
No chance of any clowns in Chisinau, only the die hards will make the trip.
Fanad Header View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanad Header Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 4:13pm
I'm Plastic and proud.

Been going to watch Ireland since 1986/7 with my Merseyside accent, and have been questioned about my allegiances loads of times, mostly by stupid people...so as stupid people don't count, I don't usually care.

Two complete f#ckwits from Dublin confronted me in Poznan during Euro 2012 and this was probably the only time it's been done aggressively.

But as others have stated on this thread, the finals of tournaments bring out the glory hunters and vermin

I've had a few make their objections known about my Tricolour, which has an English club side's name on it, and in a way I sort of understand their point of view, as in technically nothing should be put on the national flag.

Then I think of the Bart Simpson flag from some years ago and all the modern, supposedly 'funny' ones that seem to have taken over recently...which includes inappropriate language and imagery.

But each to their own.

Every home game is the equivalent of an away game for most and it takes some dosh and commitment to get to as many as the English Plastic Paddies do...

During every single Ireland football trip I've been on over the last 30 years has involved meeting committed Ireland fans with non Irish accents and I have respect for them all.

I've long since stopped being offended by the PP term and now wear it as a badge of honour.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 4:29pm
At the France game in Lyon, some fella sitting two rows in front turned around to give out about people chanting with English accents. The fella sitting directly behind him had an English accent. He was obviously born or brought up in the UK. He actually quietened down for the rest of the game and I was wondering if he was feeling self conscious because of the first dope giving out. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I felt a bit sorry for him as it seemed to have an impact on his enjoyment of the experience.   
El Puto Amo
Fanad Header View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanad Header Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 4:37pm
That would make me shout/sing louder..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic