Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOI in Europe 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 969798
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

If you take off the LOI glasses for a moment, the fact still remains that a team second in their group needing only 2 draws to progress to the last 16 of the competition ballsed in up and lost both games and ended up finishing last. If that had been Klopp, Mourinho or O'Neill they'd be looking for a new job.

Not sure why I'm responding to a troll seen as I managed to ignore the rest of your poop, but why would we "take off the LOI glasses"? We are a LOI team

Do you want us to pretend we weren't a LOI team? Will we pretend we weren't the lowest ranked team left in European competition? Will we pretend we weren't out of season? Will we pretend we were Klopps Liverpool or Mourinhos UTD so it will suit your argument?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

If you take off the LOI glasses for a moment, the fact still remains that a team second in their group needing only 2 draws to progress to the last 16 of the competition ballsed in up and lost both games and ended up finishing last. If that had been Klopp, Mourinho or O'Neill they'd be looking for a new job.

Not sure why I'm responding to a troll seen as I managed to ignore the rest of your poop, but why would we "take off the LOI glasses"? We are a LOI team

Do you want us to pretend we weren't a LOI team? Will we pretend we weren't the lowest ranked team left in European competition? Will we pretend we weren't out of season? Will we pretend we were Klopps Liverpool or Mourinhos UTD so it will suit your argument?

I couldn't think of a better alternative than LOI tinted glasses, but what I'm really getting at is that there is no need for the backslapping "ah sure, they were fantastic", likewise I couln't give a fook about the EPL myself but the point is that if LOI sides want to progress they need higher standards, including a bit of critical thinking. Not with yourself particularly, but there's a good few posters on here who have the proverbial green tinted glasses on. Any dissent or questioning about those last two matches seems to be immediately put down, that we can't say bad things about their seasion. My first question would be why were they not match fit for the last few games, when it was well known that they had those two games to look forward to. 

They still finished bottom of the group from a commanding position just two games before. Questions should be asked, regardless. 
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 10:49am

I couldn't think of a better alternative than LOI tinted glasses, but what I'm really getting at is that there is no need for the backslapping "ah sure, they were fantastic", likewise I couln't give a fook about the EPL myself but the point is that if LOI sides want to progress they need higher standards, including a bit of critical thinking. Not with yourself particularly, but there's a good few posters on here who have the proverbial green tinted glasses on. Any dissent or questioning about those last two matches seems to be immediately put down, that we can't say bad things about their seasion. My first question would be why were they not match fit for the last few games, when it was well known that they had those two games to look forward to. 

They still finished bottom of the group from a commanding position just two games before. Questions should be asked, regardless. 

Stick to your EPL on your TV cause you have no idea what your talking about!

If the players were not fit, would it not have been Maccabi pushing for a 3rd goal in the last 10 mins and not Dundalk looking for an equaliser? 
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 1:27pm
They looked unfit all right . I would have rated em as the fittest in the LOI but no ,, they were not fit in that last game - no way . Fkuc em ,,,,,,,,,,,,btw. 
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 2:01pm
Good article this re Dundalk achievement.

Worth remembering:

This year Dundalk were representing the 40th-ranked league in Europe; the next lowest-ranked league in the group stages was that of Kazakhstan (32nd). 

skinnymalinx View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinnymalinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:45pm
Written by a bitter Sligo twat.

As for Dundalk, they won 2 games in Europe this season. They did very very well to get this far.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Good article this re Dundalk achievement.

Worth remembering:

This year Dundalk were representing the 40th-ranked league in Europe; the next lowest-ranked league in the group stages was that of Kazakhstan (32nd)

He's made a liar out of Brian Kerr. Last July Kerr said Republic of Ireland was in 46th spot. Kerr didnt quote his source, the presumption is UEFA based mathematics then UEFA based source. But UEFA issue one country and one club beginning of the season list.
A journalist quoting exclusionary mathematics like UEFA Country co-efficient without qualifying it's exclusionary nature is dishonest. Eamonn Sweeney is a dishonest Sports Journalist (it's makes him a hero with league of ireland abusers).
www.ucdsupporters.ie
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 12:17pm
What absolute ****s UEFA are...there will be an extra qualifying round but one less qualification place up for grabs in the champions route from 2019. All so Spain, Italy, England and Germany get 4 guaranteed group spots. That's a kick in the balls considering how well Dundalk did last year.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/scots-to-face-four-rounds-of-qualifiers-in-champions-league-1-4316826
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

What absolute ****s UEFA are...there will be an extra qualifying round but one less qualification place up for grabs in the champions route from 2019. All so Spain, Italy, England and Germany get 4 guaranteed group spots. That's a kick in the balls considering how well Dundalk did last year.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/scots-to-face-four-rounds-of-qualifiers-in-champions-league-1-4316826

On the upside losing at any stage in the CLQ drops you into ELQ. The decision to give the top 4 16 places was nothing short of a disgrace though.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 2:05pm
harder to get into the champions league but a better shot of geting into the europa league for our champions

I wonder if the champions that drop into the europa league will be kept apart from the other teams? would be a bit unfair on the rest if they werent

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 4:09pm
Hardly surprising, still sickening.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 10:16pm
Eufa fiddling the draw,surely not.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 7:52am

harder to get into the champions league but a better shot of geting into the europa league for our champions

I wonder if the champions that drop into the europa league will be kept apart from the other teams? would be a bit unfair on the rest if they werent

It appears there will be a separate champions path in the Europa League.

I actually think it has made the EL group stage more difficult for our clubs. At the moment it really is only attainable for our champions.   

At the moment our champions need to win their 2nd round game so ideally need to be seeded (Dundalk will probably just miss out) or get a bit of luck in the draw.  Then they have 2 shots at a group stage against teams that are seeded well above our sides.  Dundalk beat BATE and so were guaranteed at least EL group stage football.  Likewise Shamrock Rovers lost to FC Copenhagen but then beat Partizan in the EL.

Now ok our champions will get the extra games but they must negotiate an extra round and thus need an extra win.  So to get group stage football now will require 2 wins over the likes of a BATE and a Partizan.  
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 8:32am
So lets say for example, if we do what we done this year, beat FH and BATE, lose to Warsaw, we then go into a play-off rather than straight into the group stage?

Obviously we''ll be starting in first round now rather than 2nd, also how many champions will then actually get into the europa league group stages?

Edited by Shoco - 15 Dec 2016 at 8:36am

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:15am

So lets say for example, if we do what we done this year, beat FH and BATE, lose to Warsaw, we then go into a play-off rather than straight into the group stage?

Obviously we''ll be starting in first round now rather than 2nd, also how many champions will then actually get into the europa league group stages?

Next year it is still the same as it was this year.  To reach the group stages of the Champions League Dundalk would need to win 3 ties.  Lose first time up and they are out but there is the safety net of the Europa League if they lose in the 3rd or 4th qualifying rounds.  

Say Dundalk win the league next year.  Then in 2018 Dundalk would start in the first qualifying round of the Champions League.  To qualify for the Champions League group stage they would need to win 4 ties.  If they lose they would still go into the next round of the Europa League. So to get to the group stages of the Europa League they would need to win 3 ties out of 4. In at least 2 of those 3 Dundalk would almost certainly be unseeded. 

Now in general it may be a good thing as our champions are guaranteed 2 extra games, extra revenue etc.  There would be a general expectation even of 6 games.  If our champions were to fail in the CL they would most likely be seeded next time out in the EL. 

However in general it has made the group stages even more unlikely for our clubs. 
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:24am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Next year it is still the same as it was this year.  To reach the group stages of the Champions League Dundalk would need to win 3 ties.  Lose first time up and they are out but there is the safety net of the Europa League if they lose in the 3rd or 4th qualifying rounds.  

Say Dundalk win the league next year.  Then in 2018 Dundalk would start in the first qualifying round of the Champions League.  To qualify for the Champions League group stage they would need to win 4 ties.  If they lose they would still go into the next round of the Europa League. So to get to the group stages of the Europa League they would need to win 3 ties out of 4. In at least 2 of those 3 Dundalk would almost certainly be unseeded. 

Now in general it may be a good thing as our champions are guaranteed 2 extra games, extra revenue etc.  There would be a general expectation even of 6 games.  If our champions were to fail in the CL they would most likely be seeded next time out in the EL. 

However in general it has made the group stages even more unlikely for our clubs. 

A champions side of ELQ could be beneficial too as there are some strong teams in there like Genk who City played, midtjylland, West Ham etc.   and there would be weaker teams dropping down.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 12:56pm
A 19 year old from Genk, who played in both games against City, is apparently moving to Leicester for 15 million, presumably to semi-retire on 50k a week. It just shows the gulf we are dealing with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 969798
  Share Topic