You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving out/Spare Room to rent in Dublin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Aye, things are basically alright. I've an appointment with the bank next week to see what I can borrow and we'll take it from there. I can stay until at least the end of the year here, possibly longer if it looks like I'm close to buying.

Things should be grand and hopefully I won't need to move twice. In hindsight, it might have been the kick up the hole I needed.

You’re still there?!?!?
Fooks sake
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:38am

Aye, things are basically alright. I've an appointment with the bank next week to see what I can borrow and we'll take it from there. I can stay until at least the end of the year here, possibly longer if it looks like I'm close to buying.

Things should be grand and hopefully I won't need to move twice. In hindsight, it might have been the kick up the hole I needed.
  Told you Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Could be worse, I had a friend who rented with this guy before she woke up one night with him standing at the end of her bed, he put it down to sleep walking and apologised and left.

After that she quickly got a lock for the door and moved out soon after

You'd be surprised how common stuff like that is.

Well for me anyway LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Could be worse, I had a friend who rented with this guy before she woke up one night with him standing at the end of her bed, he put it down to sleep walking and apologised and left.

After that she quickly got a lock for the door and moved out soon after

You'd be surprised how common stuff like that is.

Well for me anyway LOL

Was it you ?
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 1:03pm
nah, she wouldn't have told you about it. insert Dr Evil laugh
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:22pm
Rent question -

My brother owns an apartment and has been letting it out or years as he lives abroad.

He has let it out for a really low figure - about 1200 pm.
Other similar apartments are as renting theirs for up to 1800 pm.

Apparently you can only apply a 2/4% increase to your tenant.

Can he increase the rent to 1800 pm if he gets new tenants or what are the laws around this?

Somebody mentioned that the next tenant can ring the housing regulator or what ever it's called and ask to see what the previous rental price was and then dispute if the figure is greater than the 2\4%
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:34pm
Q 1: where is it?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:44pm
D13.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:00pm
He needs to be careful, but he is covered by the rent pressure zone (RPZ) legislation. He can only increase above those limits if the dwelling is substantially refurbished. That is trickier with an apartment, because a lick of paint and a new wardrobe doesn't cut it.

In respect of sitting tenants, he can only increase by 2% per annum, assuming it has not been increased since 24 December 2016. Say, for example, the last rent was €1,000 taking effect on 1 May 2012, and given that he has to give minimum 90 days notice, he could not increase it above €1,140 per month, assuming an effective date of 1 May 2019. The first review after 24 December 2016 is 2%, but every review thereafter is 4%.

If he has new tenants moving in, he can increase it by 4% by annum. On the example above, if he had new tenants moving in on 1 May 2019, he could charge them €1,280.

If you want to pm me, I might be able to help a bit more. The RTB website does have a calculator that will do all the sums for you, which is probably the best place to start.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:17pm
Thanks a lot Dave.

That answers my question, as it's consistent with what I was told earlier too.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:08pm
If you have the following info, you can work out whatever you want:

1) date the previous rent first took effect
2) amount of the previous rent

Assuming that 1) is pre-24/12/16 and he wants to increase the rent for his current tenants, he should move sooner rather than later, because he continues to be bound by 2% per annum, as opposed to 4%.

Like say it is €1,200 at the minute and has been since 1/5/2014 - if he increases today (effective 1/5/2019), he can increase to €1,320 (that's 10%, or 2% per year over five years), then 4% the following year (which would be about €1,372). If he just leaves it one year, then he would only be able to increase it by 12% total then, which would only be to €1,344.

HOWEVER, there is a caveat. If he has new tenants, and provided he doesn't change the rent for his current tenants, he could charge a bit more. Say he had new tenants moving in on 1/5/19, he could charge them €1,440 per month (4% per annum). Say he increases the current tenant's rent now (effective 1/5/19) to €1,320 (the max permissible for a sitting tenant) and then in a year a new tenant moves in, he could only charge them €1,372 (€1,320 + 4%). However, if he were to leave the rent at €1,200, then in a year a new tenant moves in, he could potentially charge a new tenant €1,488 as of 1/5/20 (€1,200 + 24%).

There's a lot to consider, frankly. Also, he needs to be aware of the risk of terminating a tenancy for a spurious reason. There are only limited reasons for which he can terminate a tenancy. But if you give a reason and don't follow through on it, depending on the reason, it can cause you trouble. Like say you tell the tenant you are going to sell the place, then don't, then re-rent it for a whack more, they can claim against you and, depending on their loss, they could be awarded a lot against you. Plus, it is very, very easy to bring a claim to the RTB and there are thousands of cases every year now.

It is tricky to substantially improve an apartment. To get around the percentage rules there has to be "a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided under the tenancy". That's close to impossible with an apartment.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 Jan 2019 at 11:14pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:43pm

Does location matter SD?

My mate in Dundalk is renting a place and the rent is about 30-40% lower than market.
There is a couple there and the girl is a secretary in a legal firm so knows her rights.
They have paid the same rent for 8 years and won’t pay more or leave!

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Does location matter SD?

My mate in Dundalk is renting a place and the rent is about 30-40% lower than market.
There is a couple there and the girl is a secretary in a legal firm so knows her rights.

Yeah, for the RPZ legislation it does.

Dundalk is categorically not in a rent pressure zone. Draaaaaawda is, but Dundalk isn't.

If she's be paying the same rent for eight years, the landlord can absolutely increase it but he'll have to serve the right notice.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:52pm

Does location matter SD?

Dundalk is categorically not in a rent pressure zone. Draaaaaawda is, but Dundalk isn't.

If she's be paying the same rent for eight years, the landlord can absolutely increase it but he'll have to serve the right notice.

What’s the ‘right’ notice?
Just 90 days in writing?  Or more to it?

colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:53pm

Does location matter SD?

how much notice do they need to give if they are going to increase rent SD? In Carrickmacross past 2 years this April and there was some thing at the start where rent wouldn’t increase for 26 months for some reason. Paying below going rate so expecting an increase but didn’t know how much notice they had to give if any.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:54pm
A lot more to it.

It is as stupidly complex as it looks.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:29am

A lot more to it.

It is as stupidly complex as it looks.

Cheers will have a read through it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic