You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pensions
    Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:14am
Anyone here in the game? Been meaning to start one the past few years but going to sort it this month. Where's the best place to go?
Been looking online but everything I read is a sales pitch so I said I'll see what the Ybig experts say
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:18am
Live life to the full, play hard, die young and fcuk the pension Clap
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:19am
Are you self employed colmoc? If not I would imagine sorting one through work would be a shout.

In any event, the earlier you start a pension the less you will be required to pay into it on a monthly basis in order to have a decent retirement.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:26am
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Anyone here in the game? Been meaning to start one the past few years but going to sort it this month. Where's the best place to go?
Been looking online but everything I read is a sales pitch so I said I'll see what the Ybig experts say
Anseo.

Go talk to a broker, they're free (the companies pay them) and will set you right about what you need. First thing they have to do is a full financial review to see how your set, then will advise you what is most required, and advise you what company your pension should be through. 

But yeah, definitely get one, and put in as much as you can afford. One of the most tax-efficient methods of saving. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:30am

Irish Life are quite good.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:48am
i assume you mean a private one? work have to provide you with one, which in most cases will be invested terribly on your behalf. Normally in some type of lifestyle crap. You can however change what your invested in. Most products (both work and private) are poor value for money. Best to do it yourself through a SIP (Self invested pension) type product. In the UK Hargreaves are decent for SIPP's/ ISAs etc..: http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/sipp

stick it all on red if you are not playing with a lot to start and looking at a 30+ horizon.

colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:57am
Yeah self employed.
Need to get on it as soon as.
Where do I go to talk to a financial broker shedite?
Cheers for the advice lads
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:18pm
Aye well worth doing lad, while I'm luckily in the pensionable Civil Service job, my Mrs isn't as she entered employment in her 30s and wanted to beef up her pension, so we got an advisor out a couple of years back and went with Irish Life and we are happy with what they have to offer, but step one arrange a meeting with a financial advisor, many of them are free anyhow. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:54pm
Note, in Ireland your employer should provide access but not necessarily contribute.

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:52pm
Its one of the most tax-efficient methods of saving and the earlier you start the better. The more you invest now the better in the long run -  due to annualized returns and longer investing periods. 

As the lads say, go through a broker and get him/her explain the options.

Best bet - go simple and cheap - make sure the annual management/fund charges are below 1%.
They will try and get you to invest in a number of complicated funds as this commands higher fees.

I currently have this for reference:
40% - Passive Europe equity fund  (Boring, just tracks the index but cheap)
40% - Passive US equity fund (Same as above)
20% - Active Emerging Markets Equity fund (Aggressive strategy and more expensive, should produce higher returns but no guarantees)

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Yeah self employed.
Need to get on it as soon as.
Where do I go to talk to a financial broker shedite?
Cheers for the advice lads
Two main associations in Ireland. Usually you have to meet in person, though most of them are pretty good at meeting you (I met one in a local coffeee shop one night after work)
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:21pm
FaIr play lads. Thanks!
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:22pm
Weren't pension funds effected when the sh*t hit the fan? I don't have one so not sure on the whole story other than be careful.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

Weren't pension funds effected when the sh*t hit the fan? I don't have one so not sure on the whole story other than be careful.

Another option....

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 10:27am

Yep, very much so. Lot of lads had their lifetime savings very heavily eaten into. The biggest losers would be those within 10 years of retirement, who were invested in high risk products. A good broker shouldn't let that happen. 
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Yep, very much so. Lot of lads had their lifetime savings very heavily eaten into. The biggest losers would be those within 10 years of retirement, who were invested in high risk products. A good broker shouldn't let that happen. 

Even good brokers were caught out in the financial crash. My pension funds almost halved during the crash. Whilst they've come back somewhat, they'll never recover to anywhere near the original projected amounts.

The only reason investing in a pension is of any use, is the tax efficient benefits. When this is taken into account, I'm still just about up on the total amount invested.
If I'd simply stuck the money in a long term bank account I would have earned more, but would have paid more tax.

This post makes a lot of sense, but are these type of products available in Ireland?

Originally posted by londonirish londonirish wrote:

i assume you mean a private one? work have to provide you with one, which in most cases will be invested terribly on your behalf. Normally in some type of lifestyle crap. You can however change what your invested in. Most products (both work and private) are poor value for money. Best to do it yourself through a SIP (Self invested pension) type product. In the UK Hargreaves are decent for SIPP's/ ISAs etc..: http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/sipp

stick it all on red if you are not playing with a lot to start and looking at a 30+ horizon.

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 1:10pm
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 1:59pm
Ensuring those that will rent for the rest of ever will have an income to continue to pay it into the twilight years
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic