You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airbnb Scams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

Thumbs Up yep cant go too wrong with airbnb. Used them for a few years now and no problems. If you're a group of lads you'll probably have more issues as lets face it, who wants to rent their place out to a group of lads on the p1ss... when you send a message with your booking perhaps say you are in town with family... 

We had this discussion before and it was agreed honesty is the best policy. Put yourself in their shoes, this is their house. You would want to know who is coming to stay with you for a few nights, so they will as well. I was straight up and told our ages and the purpose of our visit and got Bordeaux 1st time around and Lille on 3rd attempt. Both have numerous good reviews. Have used airbnb before when staying in Liverpool, great service.
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Sponsored Links

JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 1:59am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

Story with the security deposits?
Will they take it out of my account  prior to arrival or should they already have done it by now. 
I booked and paid a few months back. 

What security deposits?
I think you pay the full whack up front, that money gets held by AirBnB until you stay there and then release the money to the host.

It says on the site that there is a 1,000 quid security deposit.
Never took it off me when booking.

ColG View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:49am

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Story with the security deposits?
Will they take it out of my account  prior to arrival or should they already have done it by now. 
I booked and paid a few months back. 

What security deposits?
I think you pay the full whack up front, that money gets held by AirBnB until you stay there and then release the money to the host.

It says on the site that there is a 1,000 quid security deposit.
Never took it off me when booking.

?? Says nothing on my booking about any security deposit?
Brian_CCFC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_CCFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:52am
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

Thumbs Up yep cant go too wrong with airbnb. Used them for a few years now and no problems. If you're a group of lads you'll probably have more issues as lets face it, who wants to rent their place out to a group of lads on the p1ss... when you send a message with your booking perhaps say you are in town with family... 

We had this discussion before and it was agreed honesty is the best policy. Put yourself in their shoes, this is their house. You would want to know who is coming to stay with you for a few nights, so they will as well. I was straight up and told our ages and the purpose of our visit and got Bordeaux 1st time around and Lille on 3rd attempt. Both have numerous good reviews. Have used airbnb before when staying in Liverpool, great service.

Agreed. I told our host that we were 5 lads coming over for Ireland and Belgium. She said it was no problem but no parties or our we will lose our deposit. I think that's fair enough. Better off being honest anyway. 
Je vais en France!
miece View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:24am
the security deposit thing works that in the event of you wrecking the gaff then the host can claim up to the amount of the security deposit to cover costs. if all is well then nothing is taken from the security deposit. all that is taken is the when the booking is made is the amount for the duration of that stay
JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by miece miece wrote:

the security deposit thing works that in the event of you wrecking the gaff then the host can claim up to the amount of the security deposit to cover costs. if all is well then nothing is taken from the security deposit. all that is taken is the when the booking is made is the amount for the duration of that stay

Yea, I see that now.
I presumed Airbnb would hold the deposit and then return it after the stay.
Whats to stop someone from wrecking the gaff then just cancelling their card when they leave.
Brian_CCFC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_CCFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:33pm
I was told our deposit would be taken after our stay if there was anything wrong with the house.. But as mentioned above, anyone can change their card details between time of booking and time of stay so I don't know how that works. 
Je vais en France!
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:32am
Always check the reviews before booking a place,if it has bad reviews or no reviews,avoid it!
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 7:41pm
First time using this.

Still pending on a reservation request. Can you apply for a few at the same time until the first one accepts and book that or could you be charged for all the reservations you applied for?

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

First time using this.

Still pending on a reservation request. Can you apply for a few at the same time until the first one accepts and book that or could you be charged for all the reservations you applied for?

Use the 'Contact Host' option ( you'll see it a good bit down the listing page by the hosts profile) to message any host you might book with, you won't need to enter payment details unless you want to complete the reservation

Edited by HuntysCousin - 18 Aug 2017 at 7:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic