You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Athletics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Good viewing
There should be more athletics on TV

There would be if people could have faith in what they're watching. I used to love watching the Golden League meetings on Eurosport all summer back in the 90s when they'd be on most weeks, naively believing that most of what I was watching was fair and genuine. Athletics is unquestionably great TV.

But if you check back on this event in two years time you'll almost certainly see that a good number of the results have changed, and that's ultimately why there isn't more of it on TV these days. You just can't believe half of what you're seeing.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 9:33pm

Good viewing
Diamond league on Thursday 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Could arguably have finished a few spots higher if Adeleke was running. Lots to be optimistic about going into the Olympics next summer 

If they could get a fully fit and firing Phil Healy back in the team alongside Becker, Mawdsley and Adeleke they could have a good run at that relay in Paris. Failing that they could try and find a Brit or an American with an Irish qualification that can run a sub 52 second 400 and bring them in.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 10:18am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Good viewing

There would be if people could have faith in what they're watching. I used to love watching the Golden League meetings on Eurosport all summer back in the 90s when they'd be on most weeks, naively believing that most of what I was watching was fair and genuine. Athletics is unquestionably great TV.

But if you check back on this event in two years time you'll almost certainly see that a good number of the results have changed, and that's ultimately why there isn't more of it on TV these days. You just can't believe half of what you're seeing.

It's no different than any other sport to be fair.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 11:02am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Could arguably have finished a few spots higher if Adeleke was running. Lots to be optimistic about going into the Olympics next summer 

If they could get a fully fit and firing Phil Healy back in the team alongside Becker, Mawdsley and Adeleke they could have a good run at that relay in Paris. Failing that they could try and find a Brit or an American with an Irish qualification that can run a sub 52 second 400 and bring them in.
Yeah would agree there. Even a half fit Adeleke runs better than the girl who was on the second leg
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 11:26am
Ireland were ranked 6th with Adeleke and 16th without her.

Becker had an off season by her own admission and McGrory is not a 400m runner. 

Regardless, they would still be way off a medal. 
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 1:04pm
They wouldn't have won a medal yesterday with Adeleke in the team. But a year from now with her, Mawdsley, a hopefully in form Becker and one more in to improve the team (e.g. Phil Healy) and they could have a chance. More hope of that team kicking on than the mixed relay team I think. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 1:26pm
I know. 

I just think where we are now, with a fully fit and in form team, we are still going to come up short for a medal.

The Irish record is 3:26 - they are not going to take 5/6 seconds off that, which is needed to win a medal.

You'd want to be running below 3:21 to be winning a bronze. It's too big a gap. A realistic target is to improve on the 8th place finish. Maybe even top 6.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 1:28pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 1:37pm
World Indoors on Friday week.

Lavin and Sarah Healy outsides for a medal.

Edited by horsebox - 23 Feb 2024 at 1:46pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 4:53pm
Shameful decision from the officials to DQ Mawdsley, especially since Klaver should have been DQ and they let it slide.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic