You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish People's Passion for English Teams?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I do find it strange how some of my mates have more passion supporting an English side over their country! Baffling.
Lots of people don’t feel invested in a country. I used to be very nationalistic, but it’s a created product and a very dangerous one.

The EPL is much more popular in Ireland than England, which s mad! I go to a game in England most weekends during the season and will hardly know the EPL scores. Should I choose to watch MOTD I can watch it without knowing what happened. I couldn’t do that at home.

I agree entirely with what was said above about passion. Football is about community, place, identity and that has long gone. I lost interest in top level club football, but this season I find I have no interest in the Championship either. International football is becoming less and less interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if in a couple of years something that has been my greatest passion in life wasn’t in it at all.
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:08pm
I don't care who wins in England only who gets sacked which I am very passionate about.

I pay attention to the scores but couldn't care less about actually seeing the goals or highlights on MOTD which I never really watch tbh. If I do its on in the background while I am on the interweb.

I prefer the talking and analysing of games far more interesting than the actual game.

I used to like football far more than I do now. It gets a bit same old same old after years.  Even watching EIRE is losing its appeal due to the lack of progression in terms of playing style and performances.  I used to love the games in the late 90's and early 2000's when we were in teams faces a lot more instead of playing dire stuff grinding out draw after draw after draw.  Even our wins against Germany etc. in the last few years felt a little hollow and totally undeserved due to the football being played.

I like the way TE play these days.  They may not always get the results but they are playing much more edge of the seat stuff than we are.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I do find it strange how some of my mates have more passion supporting an English side over their country! Baffling.
Lots of people don’t feel invested in a country. I used to be very nationalistic, but it’s a created product and a very dangerous one.

The EPL is much more popular in Ireland than England, which s mad! I go to a game in England most weekends during the season and will hardly know the EPL scores. Should I choose to watch MOTD I can watch it without knowing what happened. I couldn’t do that at home.

I agree entirely with what was said above about passion. Football is about community, place, identity and that has long gone. I lost interest in top level club football, but this season I find I have no interest in the Championship either. International football is becoming less and less interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if in a couple of years something that has been my greatest passion in life wasn’t in it at all.

Case in point, star left back for champions league winners last year concedes peno in first group stage game next season, ships so much abuse off his own fans that he has to delete his account. EPL fans are toxic and entitled
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:10pm
In terms of Ireland i've definitely felt less invested recently, mainly down to the fact that we have been playing meaningless games for the best part of two years, and the format has been diluted down to make it lose almost all meaning. We could have finished bottom of this group, winless, the same way we finished bottom of the Nations League glorified friendlies winless, and still it'd be ah sure f**k it, into a playoff. 

The excitement is still there for the bigger games but it has been extremely diluted due to the format as it currently stands.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:13pm
It is the format of the tournaments and qualify, as well is who is hosting, that has made me less invested. The World Cup used to be a near religious experience, but I won’t even watch the next one.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
Its all a sign of growing up I think. Things used to be better when we were younger.

There's also the element that things were new back then. The Premier League was new as was Sky Sports. The Champions League was new with a group stage format. Ireland being in major tournaments was new.
Now the novelty has worn off.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 18 Sep 2019 at 2:15pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

In terms of Ireland i've definitely felt less invested recently, mainly down to the fact that we have been playing meaningless games for the best part of two years, and the format has been diluted down to make it lose almost all meaning. We could have finished bottom of this group, winless, the same way we finished bottom of the Nations League glorified friendlies winless, and still it'd be ah sure f**k it, into a playoff. 

The excitement is still there for the bigger games but it has been extremely diluted due to the format as it currently stands.

I agree.  Have talked to other about this but they all seem to like the new format.  I find it almost doesn't feel real as there is this new format with this safety net of the NL to advance to a strange playoff semi final thing.
Prefer the old format. Do or die.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:15pm

Ah shure the football's way better
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Its all a sign of growing up I think. Things used to be better when we were younger.

There's also the element that things were new back then. The Premier League was new as was Sky Sports. The Champions League was new with a group stage format. Ireland being in major tournaments was new.

Not for me. I still want to love the game, going to the Abbey here and away games gets me through the week, but the community is being knocked out of it by greed. It’s soul destroying.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Not for me. I still want to love the game, going to the Abbey here and away games gets me through the week, but the community is being knocked out of it by greed. It’s soul destroying.

I'm looking forward to the FAI cup semi more than any game i can remember in years - i don't think my love of the game has gone down any, it's the game that has regressed in many parts. Watching Premier League on TV has probably gone down in my estimation from growing up, but it itself has become a whole new level of sterile, and we now almost spend more time talking about random permutations of if Croatia beat Andorra by X goals in another group than Ireland matches.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 2:48pm
As someone who is as enthusiatic as ever, I have the solution: start supporting Spurs and NI

Give it another season or two, add Glentehran and you'll be sorted! Thumbs Up

Here's a teaser for what you've been missing:

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 8:58pm
Funny as it's easy to knock the premiership but goodness it's so good to see your team in it playing in front of a full house which is something else . Now only get to see the Clarets once or twice a year which is my choice these days but after the best part of 40 years when they were dog $hit this is something else i want to hang on to as long as possible in the Prem . 
Ohhhh Galway United season ticket holder as well so i can see it from both angles .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Funny as it's easy to knock the premiership but goodness it's so good to see your team in it playing in front of a full house which is something else . Now only get to see the Clarets once or twice a year which is my choice these days but after the best part of 40 years when they were dog $hit this is something else i want to hang on to as long as possible in the Prem . 
Ohhhh Galway United season ticket holder as well so i can see it from both angles .

The likes of Burnley, Bournemouth fans must be brilliant for them playing top teams every week.  I totally get that and they are the lucky ones.  Their clubs havent been bought and corporatised into soulless sheikh toys and changed the image of the club beyond all recognition.

I'd hate to be a Man City fan or Arsenal or Spurs to a lesser extent.  Your club is no more. Its now a multinational merchandise retailer and all the local fans have been replaced by day trippers and tourists.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:13pm
I’m not sure. I think if Cambridge made the Championship I would stop going. The higher you go in football, the less fun you have.
Greenlad11 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenlad11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:19pm
I follow an English team , I follow them all over Europe as well as going across the pond. It’s just something I was brought up doing to be honest. Saying that I go to a lot of Irish games as well as supporting my local club.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic