You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The table doesn't lie? Scotland's true position
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The table doesn't lie? Scotland's true position

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Messi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Conor Messi Conor Messi wrote:

Scotland and Poland will draw.
Germany will beat us.
We'll draw with Poland.
Cue wild celebrations in Warsaw as we all go mad on cheap Polish vodka and forget for a while that we still have a playoff to contend with!..

Two more draws in the playoffs and we get knocked out on away goals.
And on we go again to Belgrade next September full of completely illogical optimism. We've all seen this cartoon before lads!

Don't agree that Germany will necessarily beat us. A draw would be a perfectly good and acceptable result for both teams and I'm not sure the Germans will feel any need to bust a gut to get the three points (even though they'll certainly try for goals in the first hour or so). I think we've a bit more fight in us than the Scots and won't roll over easily and nor do I see us being intimidated by the Germans.

There's that illogical optimism I was talking about!   
I hope you're right though!
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre
Sponsored Links

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:06am
Love to know where this optimism is coming from. Last time i remember Germany were putting 6 past us in Lansdowne. And i want some of those mushrooms that tell lads we are going to beat the Poles in Warsaw.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Well no actually my arse.

Poland would be out if Scotland win against them so its not 100 per cent out for Scotland if we beat Poland.

Forgot your weetabix stoked ?

How do work that out? If Scotland beat Poland and Poland then beat us it'll be us that are out assuming we lose/draw with Germany.

Stoked the scenario is us winning and Scotland winning against Poland! You are getting confused. I
AKA pedantic kunt
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:36am
1-0 Ireland or a 0-0 

Ze Germans will start experimenting with the youngsters Ginter, Volland etc need integrated. Last time we played Germany it was 1-1, that night they struggled to break us down with some good saves from Forde.Germany have conceded in all their 'big games'  Ireland,Poland,Scotland. They're suspect Neuer saves their arse also.

Same again lads, get use to France. 

I can't see Scotland beating Poland, their defence is suspect and the room they give the germans is shocking Milik and Lewandoski will punish them. 

Edited by SByrne24 - 10 Sep 2015 at 12:37am
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:44am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Love to know where this optimism is coming from. Last time i remember Germany were putting 6 past us in Lansdowne. And i want some of those mushrooms that tell lads we are going to beat the Poles in Warsaw.

A lot of things combined to give us that home defeat. We were coming off the back of a horrendous Euro 2012 and confidence was dented, and when they went 2-0 up before HT, we panicked and fell to pieces. It was a strange game and performance, most un-Irish.
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 9:25am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

1-0 Ireland or a 0-0 

Ze Germans will start experimenting with the youngsters Ginter, Volland etc need integrated. Last time we played Germany it was 1-1, that night they struggled to break us down with some good saves from Forde.Germany have conceded in all their 'big games'  Ireland,Poland,Scotland. They're suspect Neuer saves their arse also.

Same again lads, get use to France. 

I can't see Scotland beating Poland, their defence is suspect and the room they give the germans is shocking Milik and Lewandoski will punish them. 

FFS Clutching at straws here LOL
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 9:39am
The Germans will batter us... yes they are not having the best campaign but look as us! The way we are playing i can't see us getting anything from this game. If we cant beat the Scots and Poles at home, and struggle to beat Georgia at home, we certainly won't be beating Germany at home. Il be happy with a decent prerformance

Edited by Stimpy - 10 Sep 2015 at 9:41am
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 10:35am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

We've since drawn with them away.

The 6-1 was early in the campaign, different dynamic at play here.

Last time we played them towards the end of a campaign on 07 they needed a draw to qualify and a boring nil all was played out.

Look, I think they'll probably beat us to be honest but you can make an argument that the above are relevant points and that's where the small degree of optimism is coming from. It's better for us that they played Scotland before us, had they needed a draw in that game they may well have settled at 2 all.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 10:42am
I'd like to clarify previous posts which have been miscontrued and taken out of context by a certain poster. Indeed he even misquoted me until I called him out on it.

Goes without saying that Scotland can beat Poland in Glasgow. To knock the chances of one team in a two-horse race when the two teams are, on paper at least, quite evenly matched would be ridiculous.

However I take issue with a certain poster putting Scotland as clear favourite to win. That prediction ignores all the evidence and is I believe done so as that poster can try and wreck the current wave of positivity due to the recent upturn in fortune.

The particular poster has been bashing the manager for the entire campaign, and I expected him to not relent in his criticism, nor to allow us any sort of feel-good factor on here, and sure enough he has been on here telling us Scotland are in a stronger position than us, and he's even been setting up threads to talk up Scotland and by doing so undermine our team.

I thus called his comments that Scotland were favourites "embarrassing" and "daft". Really those comments are aimed at his behaviour in general on this forum since the Scotland-Georgia game, and indeed for months now.

Glad to be able to clear that up.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 11:36am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

11 points from 24, and yet you fancy them to beat a Poland team who have only been beaten once (by Germany) in this group?

Embarrassing stuff.

Der Rex,
You seem to be in a right desperate situation now aren't you? You've done more backtracking than an Italian tank in WW2 since you made some rather foolish comments a few pages back haven't you?  You say I took you out of context. Can you explain this post you made (see above) which you made on page 2 of this thread?  Its not been taken out of context because the post was taken in its entirety. Feel free to go back and verify it, since you like to claim I am manipulating your words.

Let's examine what you wrote once more:

''11 points from 24, and yet you fancy them to beat a Poland team who have only been beaten once (by Germany) in this group?

Embarrassing stuff.''

11 points from 24. That is Scotland you are referring to yes? 
You fancy them to beat Poland (only beaten by Germany)
Embarassing stuff.

I dont think its in any doubt that your ''Embarrassing stuff'' comment was made to show that it was a ridiculous suggestion that Scotland could beat Poland. Nowhere does it mention my supposed embarrassing behaviour you are now trying to claim you made the remark about.

You've made a right tit of yourself my dear boy haven't you?

My personal favourite though is this cracker from your last post:

Rex Banner says:
''The particular poster has been bashing the manager for the entire campaign, and I expected him to not relent in his criticism, nor to allow us any sort of feel-good factor on here, and sure enough he has been on here telling us Scotland are in a stronger position than us, and he's even been setting up threads to talk up Scotland and by doing so undermine our team.''

Are you suggesting that little old TJ who posts on a forum (where I believe opinions are allowed to be expressed if I'm not mistaken) has the ability to undermine the team?  When you say 'undermine' are you suggesting that I could wreck our hopes of qualifying because I think Scotland will beat Poland?  Is Martin feeling euphoric, then logs on here and leaves feeling deflated because he read my thread?  I do hope Martin, Roy and the lads are not reading my opinions too carefully. (If you're reading Martin-best of luck for the Germany game)  I would hate to be the cause of bringing down our team come October 8 and 11 thus disappointing the nation.  I would be awfully embarrassed old chap.

Alas, let us ride the wave of positivity like a surfer on Bondi Beach.

RSVP

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 11:43am
Awfully sorry to bother you again old chap but while I'm here (going out for the day soon) could you explain this quote for me that you made?

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

''Had both games on in the pub last night and Scotland were outclassed.

I watched Friday's game too and to put it simply, Scotland were absolutely awful. So bad.

To say they'll turn around now and beat a Poland team who are clearly one of the two best teams in the group, is just daft. ''

Unless I'm mistaken old boy , you seem to think it's daft that Scotland could beat Poland.  If I have taken this out of context I do apologise but for the life of me I can't see where I might have.

Happy surfing.

Edited by Trap junior - 10 Sep 2015 at 11:43am

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 11:47am
Of course its out of context, you havent bumped your posts to which I was replying in the above quotes.

P.S enjoy your time away from the ward, Im not wasting any more of my time engaging in internet discussions with weirdos.

Edited by rolo - 10 Sep 2015 at 11:55am
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:02pm
I invite you to bump them old boy. Better yet I might do it myself when I return from my impending trip.

That's awfully nice of you to say so Rex old buddy. I will make sure to write you a postcard from sunny Kerry.

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

The Germans will batter us... yes they are not having the best campaign but look as us! The way we are playing i can't see us getting anything from this game. If we cant beat the Scots and Poles at home, and struggle to beat Georgia at home, we certainly won't be beating Germany at home. Il be happy with a decent prerformance

Nobody has battered us in this campaign. We have one of the strongest defences across all of the qualifying groups : only five goals conceded in eight games.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Well no actually my arse. 

Poland would be out if Scotland win against them so its not 100 per cent out for Scotland if we beat Poland. 

Forgot your weetabix stoked ?

How do work that out? If Scotland beat Poland and Poland then beat us it'll be us that are out assuming we lose/draw with Germany.

Stoked the scenario is us winning and Scotland winning against Poland! You are getting confused. I

Gotcha now! But I was just bumping off Stimpy's post which only mentioned one result in isolation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic