You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Premier Relegation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 12:25am
Tonight was Ciaran Gallaghers 18th clean sheet of the season. Resigning him has had a massive part to play in harps going up.
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 12:59am
Mixed emotions really, delighted for Finn Harps and disappointed for Limerick. Ideally would like to see both of them in the PL. Finn Harps having home advantage for ET seems a bit unfair on Limerick. A third game on a neutral venue perhaps ? Anyway that's superfluous now, it's Harps night so enjoy. Glad for the Harps fans who have had to endure Div 1 for so long while their neighbours down the road have been going through a glory period.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 1:38am
I feel for Limerick. Losing a spot in the premier division after a late goal. Must be tough.

Oh no, wait there. No I don't, I don't feel sorry for them at allLOL

Does anybody have any pictures of the Limerick fans faces when the goal went it?

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 2:54am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Absolutely delighted for harps! Great to have them up

Limerick surely emotionally drained from last week, possibly complacent? Looking at them it seemed they thought it was job done, nonetheless they've a good bass to build on going forward. If you go 23 games without winning you don't deserve to stay up either, absolutely dire for far too long.
In fairness, it is all about the bass
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 3:19am
What a night!unforgettable;! Roy of the rovers stuff from young banda!bye bye graveyard!
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I can't wait for interviews with Ollie Horgan to be broadcast every week next season! I can't look at him without breaking down laughing. He always seems to be only seconds away from breaking into a foul mouthed rant!
I'd love to have a pint with him.
chatting to him at Germany game, vidic was wearing his bray top and said to ollie we'll be playing you next season. ..ollie replied, not a f**king hope we'll get promoted! Don't ever change😁
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 6:23am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

What a night!unforgettable;! Roy of the rovers stuff from young banda!bye bye graveyard!

Delighted for you bud though I do have a good mate who is a Limerick fan.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I can't wait for interviews with Ollie Horgan to be broadcast every week next season! I can't look at him without breaking down laughing. He always seems to be only seconds away from breaking into a foul mouthed rant!
I'd love to have a pint with him.

He was outside slatterys before the germany game and I'd my bray zippy on so shouted over to him 'looking forward to seeing you in the carlisle next season' and he just half laughed and goes 'sure there's no way we'll be there'LOL

Delighted he was wrong
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 12:09pm
When you look at the top five populated cities of the State, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

Both Waterford and Limerick, two hotbeds of soccer only a couple of decades ago will play in the second tier next season and Galway just escaped on the relegation play off by just two points.  For League of Ireland to flourish, the bigger centres of population on a geographical spread need to have a team in the top division.  There is something wrong with soccer in this country which can not produce that.  The 'problem child' is becoming more troubling each year.

Edited by ontheball - 07 Nov 2015 at 12:17pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 1:58pm
Brilliant result for Harps considering how poor they were in the first leg; they could have been 3 or 4 down going into last nights game. Not surprised Harps got a goal from an error by Kanyuka, any chance they got in Limerick came down either side of him. Big boost for football in that region hopefully.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by ontheball ontheball wrote:

When you look at the top five populated cities of the State, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

Both Waterford and Limerick, two hotbeds of soccer only a couple of decades ago will play in the second tier next season and Galway just escaped on the relegation play off by just two points.  For League of Ireland to flourish, the bigger centres of population on a geographical spread need to have a team in the top division.  There is something wrong with soccer in this country which can not produce that.  The 'problem child' is becoming more troubling each year.

I'd agree with the overall sentiment but it's up to clubs in these areas to get their houses in order. When harps went down they did that. They had to rebuild from the bottom up. Now promotion this year was probably unexpected but they have good structures in place and a stadium in the pipeline that will hopefully be completed by 2050.

For alot of clubs the Wexford youths model seems the best way to go. If you're a struggling club you need local support and local players help you achieve thay. Parachuting players in from Dublin like the likes of monaghan or Kilkenny did is a recipe for disaster.

Its not uncommon for big clubs in a league to end up down the tiers but it's usually due to their own failings. Take a look at the SPL half their biggest clubs are in the championship. England has formerly successful clubs like Leeds, Portsmouth, forest sitting in the lower leagues.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 5:35pm
Last season, Galway, Harps, Wexford and ourselves were in the first division, next year all 4 will be premier division sides. Some turnover. 10 different counties represented in the premier next year.
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Cabs88 Cabs88 wrote:

Last season, Galway, Harps, Wexford and ourselves were in the first division, next year all 4 will be premier division sides. Some turnover. 10 different counties represented in the premier next year.

I was posting above lamenting the fact that there won't be at a team from Limerick or Wateford in the premier next year but your point is a very good way of looking at it, I hadn't thought of that, 10 different counties represented in the premier, that's a positive development.
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 7:58pm

Originally posted by Cabs88 Cabs88 wrote:

I was posting above lamenting the fact that there won't be at a team from Limerick or Wateford in the premier next year but your point is a very good way of looking at it, I hadn't thought of that, 10 different counties represented in the premier, that's a positive development.

Apologies, my post was never meant to come across as a direct response to yours, and I agree with many of your points. In an ideal world it would be great to have locals on all sides, but given the population of Dublin v the rest of the country there will always be Dubs throughout the league. Looking at it the work Limerick have done, moving back to Markets Field is without doubt a promising move for the league of Ireland. That said people involved in Harps will say they are moving in the same way and are working towards making the move.
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 8:38pm

More like there is something wrong with so called football fans in this country that cant produce that.

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 07 Nov 2015 at 8:39pm
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:15am
As Ollie Horgan said, Limerick failed to capitalise on their chances in the 1st leg and taking a slender 1-0 lead to a packed and noisy Ballybofey was bound to give Harps a chance.

Where now for Limerick? Just as they were hitting form and finally settling into a permanent home, along with getting decent local support through the turnstiles, they`ve been bounced down to Div 1 because of an extra time goal in a play-off. Small margins and all of that...

They`re pacey and exciting in attack, with Clarke, Duggan, Faherty and Turner well worth watching for LOI fans. Freddy Hall in nets is a good foundation for any defence but their back four needs serious overhaul after leaking so many goals all season. If they can keep that team and sort out their defence then they`ll be straight back up the season after next and with a winning mentality. 
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic