You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

If you didn’t enjoy the champions league games this week you don’t like football. 

this. outstanding games this week to watch. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 10:54am

If you didn’t enjoy the champions league games this week you don’t like football. 
Or you're a united/Liverpool fan. 

Edited by eireland - 11 Apr 2024 at 10:55am
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 11:05am

I missed all 4 games to watch Leeds v Sunderland and Ipswich v Watford , 2 scoreless draws Dead
Why no wine??!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

this. outstanding games this week to watch. 

It really was outstanding football seems like a kick back to the 50s , lets not bother with defending if they score 3 we will also .
ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 12:40pm
I'd have loved to have been able to watch the City match or Arsenal watch live, unfortunately it was on at the same time as the women's match. 

Highlights were good too but when you already know the score it's not as exciting. 

Is it an unpopular opinion to say there is too much football on? 

Edited by t_rAndy - 11 Apr 2024 at 12:40pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd have loved to have been able to watch the City match or Arsenal watch live, unfortunately it was on at the same time as the women's match. 

Highlights were good too but when you already know the score it's not as exciting. 

Is it an unpopular opinion to say there is too much football on? 

No, there's no novelty with watching a match anymore, compared to back when I was at school when you'd look forward to watching the likes of a UEFA Cup game on BBC on a Tuesday night, or an Ireland qualifier on RTE on a Wednesday, or even a Monday Night Football game. 
Back then i very rarely missed a game no matter who was playing, whether that be a Super Sunday match or whatever. 

Even back then you'd look forward to watching MOTD on a Saturday night as it was the first and only place to see the goals from that day. Now you can watch them on youtube straight after the game. 

I'd very rarely watch matches that don't involve Ireland, Celtic or City these days. I'd try to catch the likes of Liverpool v Man U or Liverpool v Arsenal or the likes of PSG v Barca last night, but wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't get to see them live. 

I
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 1:57pm
100% agree on football over saturation. 

What's rare is wonderful 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

100% agree on football over saturation. 

What's rare is wonderful 

Agree with this. When you dial back about 30 years there was weekly football, but not easily available. MOTD was the diet for most people (no online sources for quick highlights), Football Italia on C4, and bi-weekly European Football, interspersed with single international windows. If you didn’t have C4 or UTV you were totally restricted. You were fixated by any football available, and it was a major treat to actually attend football.

Now, it’s so ubiquitous there is little sense of occasion. The expansion of European Competition has started that, while the dawn of YouTube style internet services has provided for extended highlights for all games. Numerous channels, red buttons etc now allow for global football to be televised and means nobody has to switch off if they don’t want to. While the rest of the world sleeps, professional games are going on in AUS and NZ and somebody will show them.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 3:17pm
I'm okay with it but you have to be realistic with what you want to watch. I've two young kids so rarely get much football at the weekend, wouldn't bother with internationals outside of Ireland games, or Champions League group stage.

But you know full well what to plan for, CL knockout, World Cups, etc

My 70 yo batchelor uncle on the other hand has sod all to do these days so loves going to the pub to watch whatever Europa League game is on tonight
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 3:38pm
It's nice having the options but I agree on the over saturation these days. It's great having an excuse to get away from the family and meet up for a few pints with the mates now and again though. 
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 5:14pm
Agree, oversaturated and competitions watered down. the groups stages of the CL for instance are just a money spinner and a waste of evergy and time. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 5:22pm
Just watch what you want to watch and ignore what you don’t.  Then it doesn’t impact you.  If watching sport on tv it’s great to watch the highest level and the elite of the sports. Champions league quarter finals falls into that category and did not disappoint this week.  Won’t watch the europa league tonight and probably won’t see much premier league over the weekend.  Doesn’t bother me that they are on thought.  Will watch Shels V Bohs on the box after putting the kids to bed. 
AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:08pm
Don’t get to watch as much football as I used to with kids etc. I’ll watch any match that on. Champions League this week and the Man United matches last Thursday/Sunday were great entertainment. Don’t watch it if you think there’s too much on.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 11 Apr 2024 at 8:08pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Don’t get to watch as much football as I used to with kids etc. I’ll watch any match that on. Champions League this week and the Man United matches last Thursday/Sunday were great entertainment. Don’t watch it if you think there’s too much on.
Same for me. I’ll watch anything 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:42pm
There have been some great games on recently all the same. Man Utd have been involved in three 4-3's in the last few weeks alone. 

I heard last week that there have only been ten 0-0 draws in the EPL this season, not sure if I heard that right
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

There have been some great games on recently all the same. Man Utd have been involved in three 4-3's in the last few weeks alone. 

I heard last week that there have only been ten 0-0 draws in the EPL this season, not sure if I heard that right

League of Ireland went through a full round of fixtures (every club played every club once) a few seasons back without a single 0-0.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:49pm

Just watch what you want to watch and ignore what you don’t.  Then it doesn’t impact you.  If watching sport on tv it’s great to watch the highest level and the elite of the sports. Champions league quarter finals falls into that category and did not disappoint this week.  Won’t watch the europa league tonight and probably won’t see much premier league over the weekend.  Doesn’t bother me that they are on thought.  Will watch Shels V Bohs on the box after putting the kids to bed. 

Is it true?  Marlene up the spout?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127
  Share Topic