You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup USA 94

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Giants Stadium was a stunning venue, really loved that day we beat Italy, shame we didn't reach any more highs in the other 3 games after that. 

Unbelievable to walk in to stadium and see so much green was some surprise that atmosphere was probably one of the best I've ever been in at a game.
Thank You Torun and Tyskie
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by irish boogie irish boogie wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Giants Stadium was a stunning venue, really loved that day we beat Italy, shame we didn't reach any more highs in the other 3 games after that. 

Unbelievable to walk in to stadium and see so much green was some surprise that atmosphere was probably one of the best I've ever been in at a game.

Visually the atmosphere was great but I dont think it was great noise wise.

Best atmosphere for me was Anfield in 95.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:25pm
I cant believe You all rated the 94 world cup so highly now I was only 6 months old when the tournament was on so I'm in no position to give an input into the games, but I've seen some of the commentating in that world cup on youtube that alone signals a strange tournament "Air Kick" among some strange phrases the american commentators used LOLLOLLOL.

I can't comment on France 98 either, Korea & Japan 02 was great IMO as we we're there and considering we scored 6 goals in 4 games and played some world class football against Spain and Germany and I developed my first real footballing memory was Matt Holland. 

2006 I felt was a great world cup Argentina we're the stand out team for me and the passion from the French and Italians was Immense.

2010 was the worst world cup ever a Spain side only playing in second gear and only managing 8 goals along the way a disgraceful dirty dutch team as runners up and the birth of Luis Suarez among the majority Thumbs DownThumbs Down

2014 Group stages was nothing less than phenomenal. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 11:40am
I was too young for 86 but for me 94 was the best world cup ever. Granted I had the summer off (aren’t school holidays great) and watched every game. I probably have my innocent rose tinted glasses on but the world cup had everything.

So many top players had a great world cup : Stochkov, Romario, Baggio, Maldini, A slim Brolin, Bergkamp, Klinsmann and Hagi.

Note this was at a time when the champ league didnt have the group stages and not all the best players in the world played in Europe so you didnt get to see them every year. Players like Valderrama were only seen at world cups.

Salenko scored 5 in one game,  Maradona was off his face on drugs, Sweden and Bulgaria getting to the semi finals with Bulgaria shocking Germany (Still remember Letchkov bald header).

Some memorable games, Italy just beating Nigeria, Brazil v Netherlands and of course Ireland beating Italy.

Granted the final was 0 – 0 but I just loved that tournament.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 11:49am
CL group stages started in 92 dude.
Albeit a smaller version.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 12:18pm
i actually thought the last world cup was the best ive seen. I dont think you will ever see a world cup semi final like it where Germany put 7 past Brazil, holland putting 5 past spain in their opening game, the USA's run in the tournament etc. Really good games for a neutral to watch.

You always get some boring games but thats what happens when FIFA lets more and more teams in who clearly are not good enough. We all know why now.

USA 94 was magic for our first game but it just fizzled out after that. There was brilliant games and Bulgerias win over Germany stuck in my mind with letchkov's diving header in that game. 
put em under pressure!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

CL group stages started in 92 dude.
Albeit a smaller version.

There was a few knock out rounds first and then 2 groups for the last 8 teams. And only League champions were allowed in. Bears very little resemblance to the current format.

I wont even go into the "dude" thing Confused

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:59pm
Still 'group stages' dude !!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:31pm
bump 

Not so much to do with the tournament but watching an interview with Charlton from December 93 and it cut to the goals from our 4-0 win against Lativa in 92. 

Latvia's jersey was an absolute shocker LOL . It oddly reminds me of an early 90s crisp packet from one of the Irish supermarket chain's own brands. The offending footage is at the third minute mark.  

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:45am
Norn Irons kit was the exact same design as far as I can remember green for home navy for the away version .
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:51am
At least they had gear. We had to give Albania a set of gear and tracksuits as they arrived with none.

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 23 Jan 2021 at 9:53am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by TBWRA TBWRA wrote:

Norn Irons kit was the exact same design as far as I can remember green for home navy for the away version .

I think their navy away had yellow vertical lines on it as far as I remember but the Latvia jersey looks like it has more triangle type of design. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic