Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

How do lads think Jack would do with the current squad in his prime.  What starting 11 would be pick do people think as we have to honest he did have the finest squad we ever had or probably ever will have. 

Btw, not sure why people get personal on here but each to their own. It’s just debating points.  

I've always said he would have loved Shane Long , he would have been his typical Forward harrier.
Jack's tactics wouldn't work in today's game. They might have been innovative at the time but the game has moved on and teams have found ways around it.

Growing up playing underage football we used to play a similar kind of tactic. Basically kick it into the corners and press up. Very successful underage but it was puke football looking back at it.

Same at home I was 18/19 and I was the poor Tommy Coyne figure.  Remember playing Newcastle west in the fai junior  cup I think they were only a couple of years out of LOI.  I didnt touch the ball once other than kick off. Lost 2-0 should have been 27-0.  Jesus the wannabe Charlton's then were a pain in the hole. Get rid of it get rid of it. The success of Charlton had a negative impact on how many saw how the game played esp in the country.  GAA lads parachuted into the team when their club got knocked out of the championship and they were bored and needed a means to run around on a Sunday.  Technique was considered a negative and when you countered it, you would get the success of big Jack thrown back in your face. 

Edited by Baldrick - 30 Mar 2021 at 4:35pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:03pm
Finding Jack just started on virgin1
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 7:59am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 9:11am
that’s a poor review 
AKA pedantic kunt
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 3:19pm
1 year gone today Broken Heart
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 5:05pm
that was a quick year. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

that was a quick year. 
Wow indeed very quick
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 8:54pm
Finally watched the Finding Jack Charlton film on the weekend as I wanted to wait to watch it with the auld boy when he got a chance. 

Was great to see some new footage from Italia 90 and camera pitch side angles I never seen before. 

The bit where he manages to recognize McGrath as he's watching the laptop was very poignant. That was tough to watch. Cry

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 10:51pm
Is there anything planned to pay tribute to Jack at first game back with fans? 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:38pm
absolutely brilliant interview with Andy Townsend on the quickly Kevin podcast. On Spotify if you have it but I’m sure you’ll find it elsewhere if you don’t 

Some brilliant Jack stories. Such a great time
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
  Share Topic