Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Times atricle - MUST READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 11:32am
I love this piece, it sums up the mentality of a lot of posters on the forum.

"By contrast, when the Irish footballers were beaten by three of the strongest sides at Euro 2012, everyone concluded it was because they were crap."

And this too.

It’s hard to think of any senior Irish rugby international who’s had to put up with the sort of open scepticism about his abilities that Glenn Whelan has faced over the last few years.

Edited by horsebox - 29 Mar 2015 at 11:33am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 11:45am
Read it yesterday. It's an excellent article, ken early writes exclusively about RainPaulo!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 11:53am
I agree with ken early and what makes the article good is that he does not go down the road of having a pop at rugby just giving it context. Would have been easy to make it a rant
AKA pedantic kunt
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 12:03pm
Listening to the Second Captains podcast and he was having a few sarcastic lines towards our "glorious rugby heroes" 
Safe to say Ken doesn't like the game or its fans at all. It's not the first time he has had a go.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

There's also a huge middle class thing about rugby in Dublin, like it's cool if you're a rugby fan kinda thing. Pure bandwagon stuff the last few years. The abuse you get if you mention going to Ireland football matchs can be annoying to say the least .
As an Irish man I'm delighted we do well at rugby but I'd be the first to mention there are only 2 handfuls of decent teams.
I also think it's disgusting the lack of appreciation Robbie keane gets as a player. We will never see his like again.

This x100
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Snagtree View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 1:59pm
Great article. Someone needs to put to put robbie Keane on that second captains wall
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:22am
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

There's also a huge middle class thing about rugby in Dublin, like it's cool if you're a rugby fan kinda thing. Pure bandwagon stuff the last few years. The abuse you get if you mention going to Ireland football matchs can be annoying to say the least .
As an Irish man I'm delighted we do well at rugby but I'd be the first to mention there are only 2 handfuls of decent teams.
I also think it's disgusting the lack of appreciation Robbie keane gets as a player. We will never see his like again.

Could not agree more with the part in bold - the problem there is not with rugby fans though - it's with our own fans. The amount of abuse I've heard certain fans give Robbie over the years in Lansdowne is just insane. Have never been able to get my head around it as the man has provided us with so much joy over the years - as well as being by far the most committed player. A national treasure for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic