You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barcelona

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 868788
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:29am
You see many pigs flying round your ways Brendan? Or maybe you like to assist the wallet inspector on his rounds 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:25am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Paid for reports to gain additional refereeing insight which is legal in Spain

Aye, the club is so flush with money they could easily afford 24 carat, gold-plated "insight" from the referees' overseer, which might have been available for much less eg from retired former referees

...and something Real Madrid do as well.
From the same individual? Still, if RM are doing the same, then it MUST be legit. Yeah, that'll be it.

The Spanish Treasury found no evidence that Barca made payments to referees or that they benefited from any decisions from the officials chosen to oversee their matches.
Absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence.

I mean, just because I could not prove that someone is gullible does not mean that he/she isn't.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Don't be listening to them ffs, Terri knows better.

UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspectors have today been appointed to conduct an investigation regarding a potential violation of UEFA’s legal framework by FC Barcelona in connection with the so-called ‘Caso Negreira’
https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1638876750129111042?cxt=HHwWhIC9oZPuur4tAAAA

Edited by Territorial - 23 Mar 2023 at 12:21pm
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Don't be listening to them ffs, Terri knows better.

UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspectors have today been appointed to conduct an investigation regarding a potential violation of UEFA’s legal framework by FC Barcelona in connection with the so-called ‘Caso Negreira’

You’ve a bee in your bonnet about Barca. Francophile? As in the general.

Edited by King_Kenny - 23 Mar 2023 at 7:28pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

You’ve a bee in your bonnet about Barca.
Really? Aside from a general suspicion that their "Mas que un club" motto was just PR bullsh*t, I never gave them that much thought for the first 70-odd pages(?) of this thread.

More recently my interest was piqued by their involvement in the (deplorable) ESL; followed by their serious overspending of money which they clearly didn't have; and now the allegation that they have been interfering with refereeing via illegal, under-the-counter payments etc.

Any club behaving in this way is liable to interest me, as it has many others on this thread, never mind a giant of the game like Barcelona, a club I've now seen play 4 or 5 times, including in the Camp Nou.

Francophile? As in the general.
What makes you ask that? (A genuine question from me, to which I'd appreciate an answer).
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 2:51pm

I have a grá for Barca but this does stink. The club hasnt given a credible explanation for these payments. There is no way it isnt dodgy in some way. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

[Are you a] Francophile? As in the general.
What makes you ask that? (A genuine question from me, to which I'd appreciate an answer).

I see you're online at the moment, and have been since I posted the above question.

Well?

Or shall I have to provide an answer of my own?

Meanwhile back in Spain, Mundo Deportivo is reporting that Barca will have to sign at least three to four players on free transfers this summer as they work within a tight salary budget:
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20230327/1001975098/cerca-mitad-fichajes-deberan-gratis.html

Edited by Territorial - 28 Mar 2023 at 3:25pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:40pm

Barcelona: George Girvan scored La Liga club's first goal and taught Spanish how to foul

Lionel Messi became a worldwide superstar on his way to scoring a record 672 goals for Barcelona, but did you know a Scotsman scored the club's first competitive goal?

George 'Geordie' Girvan's name will forever be etched in the La Liga club's history books for hitting the net in the freshly inaugurated 1900-01 Copa Macaya, an early iteration of the Copa del Rey.

More here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64878704

Meanwhile, anyone heard from 'King Kenny' lately? Or is he now dodging this thread?

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 9:26pm

What the feck are they playing at tonight?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 9:34pm

It’s a bit of a game of two halves thus far. Barca dominated the first 45 but conceded a sucker punch goal just on the blow. Real really stepped it up a gear after half time and blitzed Barca early on after the break 

Edited by MC Hammered - 05 Apr 2023 at 9:35pm
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

It’s a bit of a game of two halves thus far. Barca dominated the first 45 but conceded a sucker punch goal just on the blow. Real really stepped it up a gear after half time and blitzed Barca early on after the break 

Only the other day Gary Lineker was saying that he was the last European to score a hattrick in a Classico (in 1987).

And 24 hours later, Benzema notches one of his own! Smile
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 9:47pm
Cruising to a league title but they have been generally awful to watch this season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 10:26am
Mental how far they are ahead of Madrid in the League! Barca have been absolutely brutal to watch under Xavi.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 10:49am

If you wanted to be optimistic, you could say that he has steadied the ship. They won a lot of tight games this year where they would have dropped points previously. Winning the league will be a good feather in the cap and might provide a platform for growth. The club is a bit less of a circus than it was but thats not saying too much. There is more grit in the squad. 

On the other side, they have plenty of obstacles to overcome:

- financial problems far from over
- refereeing scandal to sort out
- European failures
- As you say, the style of play is poor for a team with the players available to them.
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 11:15am
Better last night helped by the early red card mind!

The return of Pedri is massive he makes the team click, what a player.

15 year old Lamine Yamal also made his debut last night, looks another top prospect from La Masia.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 30 Apr 2023 at 11:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 868788
  Share Topic