You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When is the best time to purchase flights?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

http://www.momondo.co.uk/

Never used it but looks pretty good

Used it before to book from Munich  to Amsterdam,not a bad site,Just checked it for the return flight  from Faro,its 18  cheaper than Ryanair but has a 7 hour overnight layover in Stockholm.
Excellent site. Used it a couple of times the last few weeks and booked flight from Poland last night on it. I think its better that skyscanner and it always seems to be cheaper than it too. Just to make a point , when you are booking through these sites , always check the airlines own site for comparison. Some of the agents through momondo were looking for 14 euro extra to book using debit card. The airliners website wasn't   

Checked the Ryanair from Faro to Memmingen,Momondo want 1Euro more Ouch
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 6:12pm
speaking of Skyscanner just got this

Hi there,
We wanted to get in touch with some good news: following yours and others’ feedback, we have reinstated a basic version of maps feature on the Skyscanner website. We’re still planning on improving this feature in future, but hopefully this is useful for you in the meantime and we’d really love to hear any feedback. Finding it is quite subtle, but you can access it via the button on the website highlighted here: http://screencast.com/t/NjgXMtamtq5
We’ve also released another new feature that we thought you might find useful, called ‘nearby airports’. You can select this from the search controls, and your results will then show other airports close by to your destination or departure: http://screencast.com/t/oRykPv1lr
Thanks again for your feedback on this – it was extremely useful for us in helping prioritise these features, and we apologise for the delay in delivering them. If you have any further feedback on either feature, or any other aspect of Skyscanner, we’d really like to hear from you.
Kind regards,
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:14am
Went to book flights for Malaga there for Thursday before Gibraltar as aer Lingus were having a sale on Spanish flights today. Went on there and the gimps after putting the flights up by nearly 40 quid from the price it was yesterday.

That's not technically legal is it?? 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:23am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Went to book flights for Malaga there for Thursday before Gibraltar as aer Lingus were having a sale on Spanish flights today. Went on there and the gimps after putting the flights up by nearly 40 quid from the price it was yesterday.

Why wouldn't it be? It's not a fixed price item, x amount of seats sold at €x, y and €y once those cheaper seats are sold and so on so discount will still apply but on a higher base fare. Especially with higher than normal interest in the route and more bookings, was always going to go up. 

Now I will say can be snakes on it, remember looking at fkivthd to the states, next day they'd a €100 off sale, the price had gone OK across the board. 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:53am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Why wouldn't it be? It's not a fixed price item, x amount of seats sold at €x, y and €y once those cheaper seats are sold and so on so discount will still apply but on a higher base fare. Especially with higher than normal interest in the route and more bookings, was always going to go up. 
From my college days I distinctly remember there is very strict rules around using the word 'sale' . Just yesterday I was reading about boohoo.com getting caught for their business practice with regard to sales. They had a sale and when the sale ended all the items that were in the 'sale' were still available at the same price. So technically that meant there was no sale. Consumer rights means you can't do things like that. 

In Aer Lingus' case they've advertised a sale but have increased the prices, technically that's false advertising. Which is prohibited to the best of my knowledge under consumer law. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:00am

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

From my college days I distinctly remember there is very strict rules around using the word 'sale' . Just yesterday I was reading about boohoo.com getting caught for their business practice with regard to sales. They had a sale and when the sale ended all the items that were in the 'sale' were still available at the same price. So technically that meant there was no sale. Consumer rights means you can't do things like that. 

In Aer Lingus' case they've advertised a sale but have increased the prices, technically that's false advertising. Which is prohibited to the best of my knowledge under consumer law. 

It's not though, the rules are for a sale it has to be on sale for 30 continuous days at that price the the preceding six months, I'm open to correction on ths specifics but it's roughly that.

A price will never be the same price for 30 continuous days, ever. You can't expect them to hold their fares steady. What if 100 people booked a flight? You can't raise the fares as they have a sale? Of course not, a flight price is dynamic and will always, always go up if people book onto it. You can't have expected a fare to the city most people are flying to an Ireland game to not have gone up with the extra demand, even with a sale.

As I said, the discount will be on the higher fare, you missed the lower one but not booking the day before and that fare as other people booked it before you. They can still have a sale, it's just now on a higher fare.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 12:22pm
Nvidic is the Superdave of the aviation game
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Nvidic is the Superdave of the aviation game

I've been called a lot worseLOL
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:00pm
I think we should both take that as a compliment!

I'm honestly considering come back from Switzerland by train (it would be somewhere in the region of €130).
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 11:31pm
Due to fly over to North Carolina for 6 weeks in a month's time, just looking at the Aer Lingus website here and a stop over in Boston (just one example) is about 2 hours, I've f**k all experience with internal flights in the US from one city to another.

Would that be enough time or would I be better off looking for a stop over for a little longer?

I know in European airports it's pretty straight forward, but better to be safe than sorry.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Due to fly over to North Carolina for 6 weeks in a month's time, just looking at the Aer Lingus website here and a stop over in Boston (just one example) is about 2 hours, I've f**k all experience with internal flights in the US from one city to another.

Would that be enough time or would I be better off looking for a stop over for a little longer?

I know in European airports it's pretty straight forward, but better to be safe than sorry.

Given that you do pre clearance in Dublin you should be fine. American also flies direct to Charlotte but not sure if it’s only seasonal. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic