You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rory McIlroy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 5:53pm
He tries to sit on the fence and being from that part of Ireland you want to be diplomatic and sit on the fence except that he hasnt made a great job of that and has let alip on a few occassions that he sees himself more "them" than "us".
I suppose people think as a Kafflick he should be waving tricolours.  

He sees hinself as more British than Irish for whatever reason.  That being said there have been northern unionist/proteatant players who have embraced the tricolour and been pictured with it such as David Feherty and Darren Clarke.  I think McIlroy should not snub the flag and do likewise when the occasion arises.  He has been seen at Windsor Park and gone to the Euros in 2016 following Northern Ireland.  Hardly sitting on the fence if he wants to remain neutral.
Graeme McDowell for example would wish the Republic good luck and wven referred to the Republic as "we got 
Robbed" when the Henry handball occurred.

I thonk people feel he goes out of his way to avoid any link to the Republic.  
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I remember when he pulled out of the Rio Olympics due to the zika virus him getting dogs abuse from the haters, then when big loveable tricolour waving Shane Lowry did the same thing for the exact same reason the same people didn't say a word about it......

Haters gonna hate
Well said.... and remember it was Rory who fought like hell to win a medal for Ireland ( lost a playoff for bronze) . Lowry bought his brother along to caddy for him 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:03pm
I would still support Rory as he from Ireland and represented Ireland but obviously some of his comments in the past about maybe feeling more British were a bit of a kick in the teeth as a proud Irish man and for those reasons I mentally wouldn't have him at the same level of support and find joy in his wins in the same way I would have for the likes of Lowry winning a tournament.

Edited by t_rAndy - 18 Jul 2022 at 6:04pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

True, likely because it’s a bit easier to qualify with Team Ireland rather than issues regarding identity.

Exactly.

Their British until they realise they haven't a hope of representing them in the major championships.

In Athletics which I would follow, there is a few athletes from the North that would very rarely set foot in the 26, while there are others of a Unionist persuasion never had an issue competing in and for Ireland until the tricolour.
Sports like swimming and athletics too, a lot of athletes were able to get funding from both Dublin and London, handy little boost for them

Are you sure about that?

I'm not so sure.

Here is the funding for the athletes  - https://athleticsireland.app.box.com/v/21CardingList

There are a few athletes on that list from or can compete for NI and will represent NI in the Commonwealth games but I know none of them have represented Team GB - which are listed here.

Irwin and Marrs have not represented Ireland and are not on the funded list.

McCauley has represented Ireland but is not being funded by AI.

Edited by horsebox - 18 Jul 2022 at 6:27pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I don’t know why, as I’ve little or no interest in golf, but watching mcilroy lose warms the cockles, can’t stand the lad.

+1 The Gerry Armstrong of golf. 

+2
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I remember when he pulled out of the Rio Olympics due to the zika virus him getting dogs abuse from the haters, then when big loveable tricolour waving Shane Lowry did the same thing for the exact same reason the same people didn't say a word about it......

Haters gonna hate
Well said.... and remember it was Rory who fought like hell to win a medal for Ireland ( lost a playoff for bronze) . Lowry bought his brother along to caddy for him 

Thank you for your sacrifice Rory! 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:24am

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

True, likely because it’s a bit easier to qualify with Team Ireland rather than issues regarding identity.

Exactly.

Their British until they realise they haven't a hope of representing them in the major championships.

In Athletics which I would follow, there is a few athletes from the North that would very rarely set foot in the 26, while there are others of a Unionist persuasion never had an issue competing in and for Ireland until the tricolour.
Sports like swimming and athletics too, a lot of athletes were able to get funding from both Dublin and London, handy little boost for them

Are you sure about that?

I'm not so sure.

Here is the funding for the athletes  - https://athleticsireland.app.box.com/v/21CardingList

There are a few athletes on that list from or can compete for NI and will represent NI in the Commonwealth games but I know none of them have represented Team GB - which are listed here.

Irwin and Marrs have not represented Ireland and are not on the funded list.

McCauley has represented Ireland but is not being funded by AI.

I remember Andrew Bree talking about it a few years back, RTE interviewer asked something like "How come Northern Ireland produces so many good swimmers" to which he went on to say you basically get all the facilities provided by Team GB but then get more funding provided by Irish Swimming body. 

At underage level in particular both sides of the political divide have to be seen to be given funding to the athletes. If Ireland or Gb stopped giving funding to athletes, they're essentially conceding NI which wouldn't go down well
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic