Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bari - from the Scots
    Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 1:48pm
Here's what a couyple of Scots had to say

GETTING THERE:

I flew to Rome, spent a few days there and then caught the train down to Bari. Took 5 hours, but the time went fast with the help of a packed carriage of Tartan Army and the banter flying about.

Train company website... http://www.trenitalia.com

HOTELS:
I stayed in the Hotel Romeo (I've got a reputation to live up to, you see). Located just a couple of blocks from the station. It was basic (there weren't any luxuries such as satelite TV) but it was clean and safe.
I'd have absolutely no problem staying there again.  http://www.hotelpensioneromeo.com/home.html

If the Romeo is fully booked, ask them for the names of the other hotels in the building. There are 3 or 4 all using the same entrance, but each hotel is located on a different floor.

Another one to look at is the Victor http://www.victorservice.com/en/sito/victorservice/hotel-victor/
It's located half-way between the station and the old-town (i.e. smack-centre of the city) and the bar next door was open every night until 5am. An odd place (the bar, not the hotel) where you could find all sorts of strange characters, it was a bit like the bar in Star Wars! Good fun.

NIGHTLIFE:
Lot's of bars on and around the two squares in the Old Town, but don't venture far beyond the squares (deeper in to the Old Town) after dark.

As you can see, the Old Town is a bit of a maze and is supposedly quite dodgy after dark.

Don't let that photo worry you though. That might look like something out of biblical times, but the city centre and the 2 squares are firmly located in 2009.

Nightclubs: Didn't find any. I think they're all out of town, by the beaches.

If there is anthing you're specifically wanting to know, just ask.

In closing, it's not a party city, but it's a nice enough place to spend a few days.

Have fun,
Rich  

Subject: Re: Bari
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 11:11:09 +0000
- Show quoted text -

Hi Ger,

I'm afraid I'm really no expert on Italy at all, and was in Bari for less than 24 hours myself.

I've cc'd Rich, Ally and Bruce, who were all there for longer and had a great time - hopefully they can pass on a few tips.

Sorry I can't help directly - I'm sure you'll have a good time, as the locals were MUCH friendlier than anywhere else I've been in Italy.

Cheers
Paul

For some reason I can’t remember a whole lot of what I did or where I went but I do remember the stadium is a f*cking pain to get to and from!!   Bloody miles and miles from anywhere!!!

If a fat man in a kilt tries to offer you German Schnapps out of a wee miniature in its own brown paper bag do not take a drink of it under any circumstances.

Edited by The Count - 05 Jan 2009 at 3:14pm
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 1:50pm
"A bit like the bar in Star Wars" quality
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 1:56pm

If a hairy man in an Irish kilt tries to offer you German Sausages out of a wee miniature in its own brown paper bag do not buy from him under any circumstances.

That's a weird coincedence GerKeano that he met you in Bari.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 2:05pm
Well I am bringing my own sausages with me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic