You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sol Campbell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:34pm
Was one of my favourite ever defenders, but having read his book and some interviews with him since he finished playing, he really does have his head up his hole. How dare Bellamy get the job ahead of him even though he has now coaching experience and Bellamy does.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Was one of my favourite ever defenders, but having read his book and some interviews with him since he finished playing, he really does have his head up his hole. How dare Bellamy get the job ahead of him even though he has now coaching experience and Bellamy does.

The Mrs used to work in a deli in Chelsea that Sol frequents. She said he was pig ignorant in the Irish sense any time he came in. Gave off an air of obnoxiousness.

Edited by colemanY2K - 23 Feb 2018 at 1:00pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:41pm
Did he not have some bother with a cafe worker a few years back? Think he tweeted his displeasure at service received somewhere and in return he got his arse handed to him by the twitter brigade.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Did he not have some bother with a cafe worker a few years back? Think he tweeted his displeasure at service received somewhere and in return he got his arse handed to him by the twitter brigade.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/je-suis-liam-pimlico-cafe-worker-becomes-twitter-celebrity-after-sol-campbell-brands-him-terrible-a3123321.html
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:55pm
FFS, sounds Paddyish, should be #ismiseliam
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:30pm
EBJT was a significantly greater goal threat at set pieces than Campbell. He got 74 goals over his career, which is incredibly good for a centre back. Campbell got 30 and they played close to the same number of games.

Now there's a question as to how relevant that is to a centre back, but it has always been a part of the game as a centre back to be good in the air. Terry was the player you wanted in the box any time there was a set piece, at either end of the pitch. His ability to score goals may have limited relevance to his ability to defend, but there is more to being a centre back than just defending.

JT was a better all round player and the one you'd rather have had in your team.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:37pm
Agree, Terry was brilliant in the opposition box. Probably the best around at scoring in his time. I would have Campbell over Terry for one main reason. Take Terry out of Chelsea and ask him to play in any other top club side in the world, Terry would struggle in plenty of other defensive set ups e.g. Barca in that period keeping a massively high line a lot of the time. Ask Campbell to do the same and I don't think there is a team or a defensive set up that he wouldn't slot right into.

Btw I'm not saying Terry is poor or anything, I just think Chelsea suited him to a tee for his career. He was definitely up there among the best, I do think he'd struggle in certain setups though. I know it was later in his career, but you only had to see how uncomfortable he was when AVB was the manager their, playing a totally different defensive shape.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 3:05pm
Terry was excellent, and I'm not saying Campbell was a better player, Terry is more decorated after all. But anytime a Chelsea manager tried to play in a way that didn't involve protecting Terry as much as possible, whether it was defending deep, or playing holding midfielders, his lack of pace was terribly exposed.

I think Campbell is underappreciated at times because of his meltdown around 2006. While he wasn't as good on the ball as Ferdinand or Terry, as a defender, he was arguably better when at his peak.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 3:15pm
Would pretty much agree with all that. He was greatly under appreciated while he was playing, not really sure why. Maybe it was a hangover from the whole Spurs to Arsenal transfer? At his peak, best English defender of that era for me.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 5:47pm
Thierry Henry once remarked that the only defender who could deny him without ever resorting to fouling was Ledley King:

And I know I'm irredeemably biased LOL, but on his day, Ledley was a better player than Judas Campbell on his day. In fact, every Spurs fan will tell you that the pain of losing Campbell was erased by the emergence of The King.

Indeed I'd go so far as to say Ledley is/was the only defender I've seen in the English game over the last 30 years who could match Paul McGrath at his peak. Which is curious, considering both had dodgy knees, and both like(d) a gargle. In particular, his speed and ability to recover if ever he made a mistake was phenomenal:

P.S. In well over over 300 appearances for Spurs, Ledley only incurred 10 Yellow Cards and no Reds. In approx double the number of League appearances, John Terry received 69 Yellows and 6 Reds (and deserved three times as many, the dirty cheating ***t)

Edited by Territorial - 23 Feb 2018 at 5:48pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 5:51pm
King if it weren't for injuries could have been one of the best defenders in world football
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

King if it weren't for injuries could have been one of the best defenders in world football
Fabio Capello, who knew a thing or two about defenders, always gave King every chance, including gambling on taking him to WC2010, where he played 45 mins before breaking down.

And Capello was hardly known for being sympathetic towards unfit players. 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:29pm
If Ledley King wasn't so injury prone I maintain that Man Utd would have signed him over Rio Ferdinand. As mentioned if it weren't for injuries he'd have gone on to be one of the best in the world.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 7:56pm
Was Sol that much underrated? He was top class.

I’d rate them as follows
1. King (Shame about his injuries)
2. Terry (I hate him but he was brilliant)
3. Sol
4. Rio

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:04pm
Football's lost Sol Campbell's genius is proving a ... - PressReader
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-guardian/.../282394104938202
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic