You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer Republic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 373839
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HANSSUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Listened to the pod there. Very interesting stuff and credit to the RTÉ fella for going into such detail on the finer points.

To be fair, it's very hard to argue when he listed off the viewing figures. It's poor. Beyond poor and there can be as many Twitter experts out there who can try argue the opposite to RTEs viewpoint but RTE are fully justified to do what they do. 

They have to sell a product ie advertising, but if nobody is watching how can they?

This situation will not improve until the League of Ireland truly becomes a League of Ireland. Right now, why would someone in Roscommon, or Laois, or Meath sit down to watch a LOI game when there's no team in the county to support? We need new teams to bring new eyes and increased attention to the league. That's the only way to sort this to a level that people want. 

Cannot understand this rubbish giving him credit for turning up, he should of been out weeks ago explaining why rte was ignoring our clubs in Europe and the league as a whole, they are supposedly a public service broadcaster. Fact is they never promote the league and like any product if its not pushed it won't prosper. Just look at Sky TV they have the most popular league in the world yet constantly advertise games likewise the champions league biggest club competition in the world and also promoted constantly. Their attitude to the game is made even worse they way we are forced to pay for it
Sponsored Links

Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:10pm
RTE never gave a sh*te about the League of Ireland and never will,I remember as a kid back in the 1970's Michael o Hehir the Gaa commenter was on the Late Late show.He was head of Rte sport at the time, asked by a member of the audience why wasn't more soccer on Rte.He replied with venom in his eyes, the 3 main sports in Ireland are Gaa, Rugby and Horse racing.Soccer is not popular enough to be showing.Things never change,RTE sport is run by the Gaa mafia.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:58pm

I often watch lower league DFB on YT or cup games.

Surely theybshoylukd explore YouTube live as an option for games.

I wouldn't personally pay for LOI TV. I would watch on YT.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Jack City Jack City wrote:

Things never change,RTE sport is run by the Gaa mafia.

Some of the posts here are bordering on paranoia to be honest. I'd be as critical of RTE's sports coverage as anyone but at the end of the day the viewing figures are decisive given a restricted budget. If enough people aren't watching they won't show the games, it's as simple as that. It's a competitive market and mediocre sport on average pitches in run down stadiums is not a big seller for the wider public. This isn't limited to soccer, RTE show next to no National League Gaelic football or hurling or AIL rugby for the same reason.

Probably the mistake they're making though is showing the odd LoI game at the expense of the European games. The European games have the potential to draw in a wider audience - both LoI fans of other clubs for coefficient reasons etc and also non LoI fans because of the international nature of the fixtures. From a purely viewing figures point of view, if they're only going to show a few games anyway, they'd be better off focusing on those ones and skipping Bohs v Pats on a Friday night which will never have much interest even among LoI fans, other than the supporters of the two clubs involved.

But at the end of the day if LoI fans want more coverage the product will need to improve. It's something of a viscous circle obviously, but upgrade the stadiums, improve the product and the coverage will follow - that's the only way things will change. Whether we like it or not the average Irish sports fan is a gloryhunting bandwagon jumper, they'll support Munster Rugby one minute and switch to women's hockey the next minute if it suits them, if you want more coverage you have to give these people what they want - however unpalatable that may seem. If teams in the big cities can consistently reach the group stages of European competitions there will be plenty of interest from the wider public.

Edited by You Tell Me - 25 Sep 2021 at 10:20am
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:32am
Seems totally ridiculous to me that RTE show a live LOI game at the same time on a Friday night when most other LOI games are on simultaneously. This kind of thing is outlawed in the UK, a cynic might say its deliberate to keep viewing figures down when fans of other clubs are at their own games. If RTE gave a sh*t, theyd show a stand alone game live on Saturday afternoon as part of a bigger football programme with side bars providing goal updates from the uk similar to how SC4 do it. They wont do this of course because people would tune in to the programme and they'd get decent viewing figures.Pats and Rovers at 3 pm today on the box would entice some of the soccer Saturday audience especially if they had score updates from EPL etc. Even if the SS audience popped in for 10 minutes it would hugely increase viewing figures and mean RTE couldnt use audience numbers for a reason to treat the LOI with disdain.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 25 Sep 2021 at 10:47am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 11:57am

Listened to the pod there. Very interesting stuff and credit to the RTÉ fella for going into such detail on the finer points.

To be fair, it's very hard to argue when he listed off the viewing figures. It's poor. Beyond poor and there can be as many Twitter experts out there who can try argue the opposite to RTEs viewpoint but RTE are fully justified to do what they do. 

They have to sell a product ie advertising, but if nobody is watching how can they?

This situation will not improve until the League of Ireland truly becomes a League of Ireland. Right now, why would someone in Roscommon, or Laois, or Meath sit down to watch a LOI game when there's no team in the county to support? We need new teams to bring new eyes and increased attention to the league. That's the only way to sort this to a level that people want. 

Which I completely understand but then, multiple times, he insisted that viewing figures aren't the only metric on which they should be judged, so he's contradicting himself.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Seems totally ridiculous to me that RTE show a live LOI game at the same time on a Friday night when most other LOI games are on simultaneously. This kind of thing is outlawed in the UK, a cynic might say its deliberate to keep viewing figures down when fans of other clubs are at their own games. If RTE gave a sh*t, theyd show a stand alone game live on Saturday afternoon as part of a bigger football programme with side bars providing goal updates from the uk similar to how SC4 do it. They wont do this of course because people would tune in to the programme and they'd get decent viewing figures.Pats and Rovers at 3 pm today on the box would entice some of the soccer Saturday audience especially if they had score updates from EPL etc. Even if the SS audience popped in for 10 minutes it would hugely increase viewing figures and mean RTE couldnt use audience numbers for a reason to treat the LOI with disdain.

Completely agree with this.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 12:15pm
At the same time, why wait for RTE or virgin to step up. Most people have a smart TV that you can stick YouTube on 
With a big enough marketing campaign from the LOI they could put their own Saturday football show on. Could even be supported by Off the Ball or something. Show highlights of the Friday games, build in to a Saturday live game, discuss the ireland team , have ex internationals, you could even do the Irish version of soccer Saturday and give English and Scottish league updates too. Make it the place for Irish people to go to consume their Saturday football while promoting the league

Edited by t_rAndy - 25 Sep 2021 at 12:15pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Which I completely understand but then, multiple times, he insisted that viewing figures aren't the only metric on which they should be judged, so he's contradicting himself.

I don't think he is. They're not the only metric, but they're the main one.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

At the same time, why wait for RTE or virgin to step up. Most people have a smart TV that you can stick YouTube on 
With a big enough marketing campaign from the LOI they could put their own Saturday football show on. Could even be supported by Off the Ball or something. Show highlights of the Friday games, build in to a Saturday live game, discuss the ireland team , have ex internationals, you could even do the Irish version of soccer Saturday and give English and Scottish league updates too. Make it the place for Irish people to go to consume their Saturday football while promoting the league

This would only appeal to a very niche audience to be honest, especially on YouTube. If people want to follow UK football they'll watch Soccer Saturday or Final Score, I don't see this approach bringing in anyone that wouldn't just tune in to watch the LoI game by itself anyway.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

This would only appeal to a very niche audience to be honest, especially on YouTube. If people want to follow UK football they'll watch Soccer Saturday or Final Score, I don't see this approach bringing in anyone that wouldn't just tune in to watch the LoI game by itself anyway.

I added in the part about the English league results. But take that out even and just focused on LOI and maybe Ireland players abroad and the national team. If done right then I think there is a bit of potential as said maybe tie it in with Off the Ball team.

Just idea. Probably best hope for LOI to get a major kick would be to combine the league with the North. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 5:32am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I don't think he is. They're not the only metric, but they're the main one.

At best, he's contradicting himself. At worst, he's being deceitful, which is most likely the truth. 

There is no interest within RTE to promote the league, or even to increase the minimal promotion it gives.

They are not the only issue effecting the national league, but they are a big part of the problem.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 3:49pm

And how does that differ from LOI TV? The second rate service that offers live games, if you're willing to pay for it?  With a no frills service, no promotion, minimal camera work, and mad commentators. That doesn't attract a new audience. 

The most powerful promotion of any product or service is television. Proper traditional television available to a wide range of people, not online stuff reserved for the die hards. Sky devote 4 hours of coverage to a live EPL game, with 30 odd cameras per game covering every move from every angle, and interactive features to enhance the coverage again for the viewer. RTE can cite viewing figures til the cows come home which they do, but badly packaged, poorly produced basic coverage of even the biggest LOI games, is never going to bring in viewers, and is laughably inadequate in the 21st century. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

And how does that differ from LOI TV? The second rate service that offers live games, if you're willing to pay for it?  With a no frills service, no promotion, minimal camera work, and mad commentators. That doesn't attract a new audience. 

The most powerful promotion of any product or service is television. Proper traditional television available to a wide range of people, not online stuff reserved for the die hards. Sky devote 4 hours of coverage to a live EPL game, with 30 odd cameras per game covering every move from every angle, and interactive features to enhance the coverage again for the viewer. RTE can cite viewing figures til the cows come home which they do, but badly packaged, poorly produced basic coverage of even the biggest LOI games, is never going to bring in viewers, and is laughably inadequate in the 21st century. 

That's the issue, they charge for it! 
I would much prefer for RTE to step up but clearly they are not willing too so maybe LOI clubs should look for another partner, e.g. off the ball. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:34pm
In the end of the day someone has to pay for it, nobody's going to do it for free. If the general public aren't going to pay for it, then theres no advertising money to cover it.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 9:23pm
chicken and egg sh*te in Irish football. Same old. Most fans of the men’s representative side, and let’s be honest the only football RTÉ are in any way interested in, don’t give one f**k about the LOI.
Here’s a thought, some of our sides now have genuine financial clout, I’m talking Shams Pats( to an extent) Waterford(same) and Derry( big f**king style). Let’s form a negotiating committee for the clubs comprising hardball ****s like kelleher Desmond and the other two rich kids and tell RTÉ to either cover it or f**k off permanently, including when Pats/ Derry/wofuss/ or whomever reach group stages. Get the four of them to agree a portion of their investment to improve loitv and eventually get the fee reduced to say 5€ a game. With one of those Saturday specials mentioned. Stagger games , at that price I’d watch maybe 3 of the ones I wasn’t at and I’d wager so would most others. We have to force a way away from the likes of virgin and RTÉ who want events and f**k developing sport.
No Pasaran!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 373839
  Share Topic