You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boring boring FA Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 454647
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The 1993 Man U v Sheffield Wendesday was shown too. I think somebody on here was watching it in a city centre pub, but celebrations had started upstairs where it was on the radio and people heard Bruce’s goal before it was broadcast on RTÉ. I was in Quinnsworth at the time and got a box of Monsters in My Pocket.

I remember watching that game. Never knew RTEs coverage was delayed tho. Didn't matter i suppose anyway. 
Thst game was on Easter Saturday, remember it well. Was on a JBO to Killarney with football team. RTE had a 30 minute delay. A lot of us were giving it the large to our United supporting mates when Weds were winning. One of the non united fans had popped out to the bookies about 5 bells and came back to tell us that united had scored those 2 late goals, the first on 90 mins. We kept on taunting the united fans who were going bananas. At 89 mins all of the non united fans got up and left the pub. Came back after the united winner and we got it back in spades.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 10:17pm
FA Cup used to be the second competition for most English Football fans. Champions League expanding has taken that right over and FA Cup has slowly fallen ever since.

Also, we all remember the good bits of teh 80's/90's FA Cups. I'm guessing there was lots of crap games back then too
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 10:20pm
Also, I’m not sure what it was like in the past, but Cup crowds are different to league regulars. Certainly at WH that’s the case, and it’s brings with it a lot of posers who think they know what attending games means.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:32pm

RTE used to show FA Cup games aswell if i remember. They used to have PL games on sports stadium i think aswell. Defo around 92/93/94 im sure I'm right on that.

IIRC with a slight delay. 94/95 was almost weekly. I remember 1995/1996 they showed Leeds v Wimbledon (with the Yeboah goal) and never again.

They used to have Division One games live at 3pm Saturday pre Premier League for a good few years. Saw a good few extra games live on TV the year Leeds won it for example. The 5-4 Liverpool Leeds game the season before was on live, brilliant game. 

There was far more live football on TV over here than in England back then. The delayed games by 30 mins replaced that first few years of Premier League before that got pulled. Remember watching that Yeboah goal alright. And Bruce's winner v Wednesday couple of years before. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 09 Jan 2022 at 11:33pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:48pm
nothing worse that an nostalgic bore.  Cracking weekend of cup football.   Some cracking competitive ties.   
AKA pedantic kunt
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 7:13am
Newcastle done one good thing this weekend, £10 adult and £5 kids tickets. The ground was full of families and teenagers there with groups of friends. Not great for an atmosphere but a great opportunity for poorer families to experience the horrific trauma of supporting Newcastle. 

Not great for Cambridge financially, they'd have be better off with an attendance of 25000 at £30 a ticket.

I'd love to see the FAI replicate it for a game that they are expecting a low attendance for. Fill the ground with families and groups of teenagers for the Armenia match through €10 and €5 tickets. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

RTE used to show FA Cup games aswell if i remember. They used to have PL games on sports stadium i think aswell. Defo around 92/93/94 im sure I'm right on that.

IIRC with a slight delay. 94/95 was almost weekly. I remember 1995/1996 they showed Leeds v Wimbledon (with the Yeboah goal) and never again.

They used to have Division One games live at 3pm Saturday pre Premier League for a good few years. Saw a good few extra games live on TV the year Leeds won it for example. The 5-4 Liverpool Leeds game the season before was on live, brilliant game. 

There was far more live football on TV over here than in England back then. The delayed games by 30 mins replaced that first few years of Premier League before that got pulled. Remember watching that Yeboah goal alright. And Bruce's winner v Wednesday couple of years before. 
There were live 3pm games on RTE in the 00's lads
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

Newcastle done one good thing this weekend, £10 adult and £5 kids tickets. The ground was full of families and teenagers there with groups of friends. Not great for an atmosphere but a great opportunity for poorer families to experience the horrific trauma of supporting Newcastle. 

Not great for Cambridge financially, they'd have be better off with an attendance of 25000 at £30 a ticket.

I'd love to see the FAI replicate it for a game that they are expecting a low attendance for. Fill the ground with families and groups of teenagers for the Armenia match through €10 and €5 tickets. 

LOL

The tickets for the Qatar game were cheaper than usual IIRC? Seemed to be a lot of families at that game.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

the fai will probably sell out all our games (perhaps bar the friendlies) at full price given the growing optimism surrounding the side at the moment. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 10 Jan 2022 at 10:02am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 454647
  Share Topic