Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Higher expectaion=better results???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Higher expectaion=better results???
    Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:22pm
Denmark won the Euros with no expectation. They had no self inflicted pressure.  They played with freedom. The Irish rugby team expected to win the rugby world cup in 2007 and failed under the weight of expectation. While I did think we had a loser mentality over the last few years conceding defeat before kick off, having inflated expectations of our ability will not lead to a significant improvement in results in my book. In fact it may make things worse. Look at England. Maybe not 2012 but in previous tournaments they had inflated expectations and failed well below their goal. Many teams who are already relegated tend to relax in their final games and beat teams who are under pressure. Again they play with no expectations and no pressure.  Basically my point is that if we raise our expectations beyond reality (which Roy has been known to do) then I believe you can expect a bunch of mediocre results.  I believe we are capable of beating many of Europes bigger teams with the right approach but theres a delicate balance in mentality to produce the best results I believe.  Saying Ireland are going to win the Euros or get to a semi final will set us up for a big fall.

I think a realistic goal for now is aiming to win the group (as long as Spain aren't in the group!) with 2nd being seen as a very acceptable compromise.  Then take things from there.

Anyone agree or disagree and give reasonsCool

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:25pm
we cant do any worse , the players need some self belief, i refuse to believe that we could actually go overboard here LOL
you are confusing self belief with expectation too.

maybe the fans will expect too much , but i cant see it , we will need to see results first...

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

we cant do any worse , the players need some self belief, i refuse to believe that we could actually go overboard here LOL

maybe the fans will expect too much , but i cant see it , we will need to see results first...

I remember Keane took over Sunderland and some people (including Boylesports!) were tipping them to win the Champions League within 5 yrs!  Some people get carried away with Roy and think he can turn water into wine.

I would bet that after 2 wins in these 2 friendly games talk in some quarters will turn to 'a new Ireland under keane and how we should now be looking to win the euros.

Is belief not intrincally linked to expectation Roger?? I mean if I believe I can do something then I expect to do something.  You could well be correct though.

The E View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Pm thE BSM your info

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:33pm
If the North of Ireland and Scotland can beat the likes of Russia, Croatia, Spain and France why can't we?
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

I remember Keane took over Sunderland and some people (including Boylesports!) were tipping them to win the Champions League within 5 yrs!  Some people get carried away with Roy and think he can turn water into wine.

I would bet that after 2 wins in these 2 friendly games talk in some quarters will turn to 'a new Ireland under keane and how we should now be looking to win the euros.

Is belief not intrincally linked to expectation Roger?? I mean if I believe I can do something then I expect to do something.  You could well be correct though.

keane hasnt taken over here though.

if our players take any self-beleif or motivation from either  MON or from keane then it can only be for the good. we have been done over by sweden and austria and dicked by the germans , we need to believe we can compete before we can compete.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:37pm
are expectations higher now? they are the same when trap was manager. Qualify, and then be competitive at the tournament.

re your comment about people expecting sunderland to win the champions league within 5 years, get the boat! boyles might of had a market on in, but they sunderland sponsors at the time. Paddypower had Mr Tayto at 500/1 to be next ireland manager, does that mean there were people out there that thought it could happen?!
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:37pm
I like TJ, he always looks at things with a sideways look.  Great poster on here in my view and I love the way you challenge the conventional wisdom. You certainly have a point. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:45pm
whatever about higher expectations, having yourself beaten days before you take to the pitch is certainly not the way to go.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I like TJ, he always looks at things with a sideways look.  Great poster on here in my view and I love the way you challenge the conventional wisdom. You certainly have a point. 

Cheers BaldyThumbs Up

@citizen

Boylesports didnt just have odds on it, the chief of Boylesports started sponsoring sunderland for the 07/08 season (no doubt because he was in awe of Keane) and said publically at the press conference that Sunderland under Keane could win the champions league within 5 yrs. I kid you not this happened! I remember it well. Keane smiled at it but Ireland was swept up in Keane Mania at the time.

If you read my post lads you will se ethat I said we need to raise our expectations but theres a balance to be had and not going overboard. I said we are capable of beating most of the top teams in europe. Theres that danger though of making ourselves too tight under the weight of expectation. This country is Keane mad and I fear a couple of good results and the whle sports press and followers will lose the run of themselves.  Players will be daunted by the prospect of anything less than very high results will lead to villification. If they read the papers and are sensitive souls they will be terrified of making mistakes on the pitch. From the little I know of management the managers job is to take responsibility to an extent off the players and just get them to go out and play and express themselves and not worry too much about making mistakes. Before Citizen or Kerrzy chime in no this doesn't mean being reckless or lazy or not trying out there or expecting someone else to do the work. It just means freeing the players up to perform.

Edited by Trap junior - 07 Nov 2013 at 4:30pm

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

are expectations higher now? they are the same when trap was manager. Qualify, and then be competitive at the tournament.

The hope is we can qualify for the next tournament. Qualifying should not be an expectation at this moment in time, let alone expect to be competitive against far better teams with far better players if/when we get there.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:06pm
We all had high expectations (delusions?) going to Poland last year! LOL

In football, expect the unexpected, always.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:11pm
Given our history we shouldn't expect to qualify given we've only played in 5 tournaments in how many? I'd expect us to be in with a shout of second place come the tail end of the campaign though, taking into account our historic record.
I mean this generally not just for the upcoming Euros.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

re your comment about people expecting sunderland to win the champions league within 5 years, get the boat! boyles might of had a market on in, but they sunderland sponsors at the time. Paddypower had Mr Tayto at 500/1 to be next ireland manager, does that mean there were people out there that thought it could happen?!

My expectations for the team is to compete for 2nd spot. I'm not too concerned about the in's and out's of how we get their - that is up too the manager.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:58pm
Anything less than what Spain have achieved in the last three major tournaments will be abject failure and I for one will be calling for heads to roll
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:22pm
Not sure really what to expect at the start but all depends on what our group is like then take it from there for the Euros .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:40pm
Greece won a cup. without any real class player,  good players but no stars, and with a brave spirit, and tactically organized, they were tidy, and have swift counterattacks, defeated portugal twice

Denmark had better players like the unlucky injured Flemming Povlsen and Laudrup, Schmeichel but they didnt qualified at first glance, they got lucky because of the balkans war

anything can be in the beautiful game,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic