You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sky box help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sky box help.
    Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:39pm
My Sky Box is stuck on BBC 2 with no sound. Nothing happens when I change the channel. I've turned it off and taken the viewing card out and nothing is happening.

Any ideas what's wrong or how to fix it?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 2:13pm
Put it in the freezer for ten minutes, see if that helps.
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

My Sky Box is stuck on BBC 2 with no sound. Nothing happens when I change the channel. I've turned it off and taken the viewing card out and nothing is happening.

Any ideas what's wrong or how to fix it?
Turn it back on and put the viewing card inWink
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 2:16pm

First try a full power reset to the box to see if this will fix the issue.

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.
  2. Confirm the power light on the box has went out.
  3. Power the box back on and the standby light will come on Amber.
  4. Wait at least 2 minutes then see if the box will turn back on using the Sky button on the remote control.

If a full power reset does not work you may also wish to try restoring the software onto the box by following the steps below:

2. Locate the backup button on the front/top of the box.
  3. Press and hold in the Backup button, and while doing this switch the box back on at the mains supply.
  4. Continue to hold the Backup button after you have powered on, you should see within 60 seconds 3 more lights come on the front of the box? At this stage you can release the Backup button.
  5. If you have 4 lights lit, it means the box is going through the forced download procedure. Leave for 15 minutes then try to see if your Issue is resolved.

If that fails then the next step will be a front panel reset (This will reformat the hard drive losing all saved recordings):

2. Locate the left and right arrow buttons either side of the select button on the front/top of the box.
  3. Press and hold both the left and right arrow buttons in together, and while holding power the box back on and continue to hold the buttons after the red light comes back on.
  4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle.
  5. Let go the buttons then press select button on the box twice.
  6. You should see the blue/green circle light moving anti-clockwise and the record and play lights in the centre flashing on/off.
  7. Once the lights go off, the box will have rebooted and you will now only have the red standby light lit on the box.
  8. If you can now wait 3 minutes before switching the box back on from standby to see if the fault has resolved/
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 3:22pm
Thanks, I'll try that.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:01pm
Put it in a bag of rice and leave in the hot press overnight. 
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:24pm
That worked in the end. Sound feen.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 11:19pm
Got another problem again. I was in the middle of watching a show and it just went off. It doesn't say 'no signal' like you'd get when a crow is on the dish nor does it say anything about the viewing card. It's just telling me about the station and a number to phone if I want to upgrade to that channel. It's like this for every channel, even RTÉ. Disaster anyway, ruined the end of Inspector Rebus that I was watching.LOL The other channels like ITV are working though.

Edited by corkery - 01 Nov 2013 at 11:37pm
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 5:15pm
Trying to watch some recorded programmes on sky but when I click into then them the screen just goes blue and goes back onto the show I was watching live e.g SS1.

Anyone know what to do?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 5:18pm
Has happend to me once or twice. Went back a day or two later and could watch them no problem
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:49pm
Moving gaff soon and have a firestick that has almost everything I need but I would like to have the free view channels.

Not sure if this has changed since I left Ireland .. So - If I install an old sky box and dish will I still get the freeview channels or do I need to have a card for the box?
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Moving gaff soon and have a firestick that has almost everything I need but I would like to have the free view channels.

Not sure if this has changed since I left Ireland .. So - If I install an old sky box and dish will I still get the freeview channels or do I need to have a card for the box?
As far as I know the old Sky box will still work, but you don’t even need a box if your TV has a satellite tuner. Just connect the dish straight to the satellite connection on the back. Alternatively, any cheapo satellite receiver will work, or if you’re willing to spend a little more, buy an official Freesat box with some of the bells and whistles

If your new gaff has an aerial instead of a sky dish, then the same service is called freeview. Same logic applies, if the tv has an antenna tuner, just connect an aerial directly. If not, buy a freeview box

Edited by Sham157 - 03 May 2023 at 11:39pm
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

As far as I know the old Sky box will still work, but you don’t even need a box if your TV has a satellite tuner. Just connect the dish straight to the satellite connection on the back. Alternatively, any cheapo satellite receiver will work, or if you’re willing to spend a little more, buy an official Freesat box with some of the bells and whistles

If your new gaff has an aerial instead of a sky dish, then the same service is called freeview. Same logic applies, if the tv has an antenna tuner, just connect an aerial directly. If not, buy a freeview box

Great stuff Sham - Thanks buddy!
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic