Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCillian Sheridan next Niall Quinn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 3:38pm
i think all the players on the man united bench would start for any spl team but i take your point..
Sponsored Links

morrissey View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 3:53pm
fair play to you I think injuries allowing sheridan has a promising future for Ireland.
Must get to the Oval pub before the duffer drinks it dry !
nedge View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 4:25am

Jeez! And to think some people were complaining we were playing boring football as it is!!!???

To select TWO players on the basis of long ball tactics would be a joke and an insult to those who can actually play football. Delap had his chance, wasn't up to it then, isn't up to it now and there are plenty of strikers who are more deserving of a call up than Sheridan right now.

“Hopefully, when we get to Croke Park, we’ll bamboozle the opposition"
Justice Shark View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 4:44am
Originally posted by nedge nedge wrote:

Jeez! And to think some people were complaining we were playing boring football as it is!!!???

To select TWO players on the basis of long ball tactics would be a joke and an insult to those who can actually play football. Delap had his chance, wasn't up to it then, isn't up to it now and there are plenty of strikers who are more deserving of a call up than Sheridan right now.

Like who ?
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 4:53am
Sheridan's far too young yet and the likes of Noel Hunt deserved his call up last week and Clinton (prepared for the backlash here......Ouch) I would have ahead of Shero.  Give him an U21 run out for the time being cos with Samaras back and scoring on Saturday, Cillian's gonna be warming the bench again for the time being although he'll probably play in the League Cup semi coming up.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 3:11pm
He's coming on in the Celtic match, interesting to see how he does.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
nedge View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Justice Shark Justice Shark wrote:

Jeez! And to think some people were complaining we were playing boring football as it is!!!??? To select TWO players on the basis of long ball tactics would be a joke and an insult to those who can actually play football. Delap had his chance, wasn't up to it then, isn't up to it now and there are plenty of strikers who are more deserving of a call up than Sheridan right now.
Like who ?

Surely Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Noel Hunt, Caleb Folan, Andy Keogh and Anthony Stokes are all ahead in the pecking order.

What's Sheridan done? Played a handful of games when all of Celtic's regular strikers were injured. He's not in the Celtic squad on merit through beating off the competition and although he may well be talented and one for the future, it's FAR too early to bring him into the squad now.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:19am
Shane Long, Andy Keogh, Caleb Folan and Anthony Stokes don't play regularly for their clubs and although Folan aquitted himself well against Poland, the other three have been given opportunities and aren't up to it.
Sheridan has come onto the scene and scored goals for his club albeit through injuries yet bad enough two centre midfielders not getting regular football but surely you select inform scoring strikers who are playing regularly. Just common sense really.
nedge View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:05am

In fairness, Sheridan does not play regularly for Celtic's first team. Sure he only made his full debut 4 weeks ago. His only previous experience has been in the U19s and reserve side. At least Long, Keogh, Folan and Stokes have all either played regularly (not one month) or scored goals in the Premiership, Championship and/or SPL.

I obviously hope not, but there's a good chance that Sheridan will be warming the bench (if even) when the Bhoys injury list clears up.

So I don't think a month's stint in a Celtic side warrants inclusion in the national setup, particularly when he's pretty much made it through default.

We'll see how things go over the next few months and if he's keeping Hesselink, Samaras or MacDonald out of the team then he'll certainly be worth a look, but not until then imo.

Also, just to point out I'm not trying to undermine the lad, just being realistic. He's done fantastically well (particularly considering his injuries), but to take the place of the above-named strikers would be a decision unfair, inconsistent and one based on a whim.   

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:14am

In fairness, Sheridan does not play regularly for Celtic's first team. Sure he only made his full debut 4 weeks ago. His only previous experience has been in the U19s and reserve side. At least Long, Keogh, Folan and Stokes have all either played regularly (not one month) or scored goals in the Premiership, Championship and/or SPL.

past tense and their not good enough except maybe folan
nedge View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:24am

Point taken, but I still feel they've done a lot more to be ahead of Sheridan.

Also, Keogh, as well as Folan (although not so much recently), makes regular appearances for the first team.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:42am
i have seen enough of keogh now for a while . time for someone else to get a shot
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:50am
Keogh is not international standard in any position. End of.  Sheridan still far too raw and inexperienced yet, 7 or 8 games in the SPL and 2 sub and 1 starting appearance in the CL does not make him into a international player yet by any means.  His day will come if he keeps improving.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Tuff Paddy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
It's Rome!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 9:54am
We should be grateful that young lads are coming through. We haven't exactly been blessed with attacking talent in recent years.
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 1:56pm
Very true TP. He's still young and only starting to get his game in first team football. Very premature to say he should be in the senior squad ffs. Give him time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic