You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ever selected for Jury Service?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 3:52pm
I still don't get why you can't just opt in/out of this if you want to.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

What if everybody that's eligible for jury service decided to do that? 

An individual has the right to be judged by a jury of their peers under Irish law and it's your civic duty to do it if selected (unless you have valid reasons to be excused).

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Done by post code here I think? Hear of a few getting called up at a time.
Yeah it is. When I was called about 10 years ago now my mates brother was there and another 2 lads I went to school with. Kinda bizarre considering the population of Dublin 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

An individual has the right to be judged by a jury of their peers under Irish law and it's your civic duty to do it if selected (unless you have valid reasons to be excused).

I get the legality/civic duty of it of course I do, also there is the possibility you'd only get people who only want to either just have a few days off work or lads who are let's be honest just nosy. I just think you'd just have the choice of whether you want to do it or not.

I'll point out I'd actually love to do it (not for any of the above reasons btw).

I actually got called just after lockdown ended but didn't feel comfortable going as I hadn't been fully vaccinated yet and didn't want to potentially expose my and my household to covid (which was obviously a valid reason).

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 5:31pm

I get the legality/civic duty of it of course I do, also there is the possibility you'd only get people who only want to either just have a few days off work or lads who are let's be honest just nosy. I just think you'd just have the choice of whether you want to do it or not.

I'll point out I'd actually love to do it (not for any of the above reasons btw).

I actually got called just after lockdown ended but didn't feel comfortable going as I hadn't been fully vaccinated yet and didn't want to potentially expose my and my household to covid (which was obviously a valid reason).

Should definitely be an opt in/out scheme of some sort, or at least a notification system you can input periods you're not available for like travel or if you're not available trough illness you can attach a GP cert etc..

It is 2022.

Sure you can notify the dole by logging into MyGovID that you're going away on holiday for up 2 weeks per calendar year so it doesn't effect payments and a need to sign on/off.

Should be a similar system here tied in with MyGovID.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 5:53pm

But surely that would be a lot more likely if you gave people the choice as opposed to it being a random selection for mandatory civic duty. You would probably have a higher percentage of nosey/ work skivers in the category of people that would say yes/want to do jury service. You could also leave yourself open to a some bad faith actors or people with extreme biases and prejudices who volunteer for jury service.

As much of an unlikely scenario as that would be if nobody was available by choice for jury service, I do think it's something that has to be mandatory and as random as possible in its process.  

Edited by irishmufc - 27 Apr 2022 at 5:54pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 7:49pm
The wheels of criminal justice would never spin again if people could opt in/out. Thumbs Down

Edited by seanyshuffler - 27 Apr 2022 at 7:50pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

The wheels of criminal justice would never spin again if people could opt in/out. Thumbs Down

Absolutely and you can’t even then call on over 65s as they are out of the pool.

Imagine being in the dock with the leftovers determining your outcome LOL

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 8:53pm

But surely that would be a lot more likely if you gave people the choice as opposed to it being a random selection for mandatory civic duty. You would probably have a higher percentage of nosey/ work skivers in the category of people that would say yes/want to do jury service. You could also leave yourself open to a some bad faith actors or people with extreme biases and prejudices who volunteer for jury service.

As much of an unlikely scenario as that would be if nobody was available by choice for jury service, I do think it's something that has to be mandatory and as random as possible in its process.  

Probably yes, but perhaps have some sort of selection interview or something.

This would probably also probably rule people out who might not be mentally able for a potential horrible case. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:54pm
I'll definitely do it if I was called and was around. Id be happy for a few weeks off work and do something different, see how it works etc
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Was on my way in and got a text excusing me ffs LOL

The wheels of criminal justice 
LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 11:43am
There is an opt out scheme.  Don’t register to vote and you cant be called for jury duty - names are picked from the electoral register. 

A fair trade - if you want to participate in political life bt voting you are accepting the slim possibility of being asked to do jury duty. 
Team Emmet
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 11:45am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Absolutely and you can’t even then call on over 65s as they are out of the pool.

Imagine being in the dock with the leftovers determining your outcome LOL

Over 65 year olds are allowed do jury duty.  They just have the right to refuse if they want without any reason needed other than their age.  Loads of ‘em do it. 

Edited by BrenC - 28 Apr 2022 at 12:06pm
Team Emmet
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 1:44pm
What a joke. Went on day 1, sat on my arse from 9am until midday before being added to 30 person jury panel for a murder trial. 2 o'clock comes and we're brought into the court room where the judge explained the case and then 16 names were drawn at random (12 jurors plus 4 subs). I wasn't one so myself and the other 13 were sent back to the waiting area and told to go home for the rest of the day. Day 2 I turn up at 10am as told, waited until 12 o'clock again where I was told I was being added to another jury panel. Told then we'd be going into the court room at 3pm. at 2:55pm we're called over to the reception desk and told the judge has postponed the trial for 12 months, we can go home and are discharged from jury duty. FFS two days wasted sitting on my arse.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 1:51pm
Sitting on hole with free coffee and a newspaper/smart phone to keep you entertained with ideally with a bit of eye candy around ya, it beats working, at least for a few days. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Sitting on hole with free coffee and a newspaper/smart phone to keep you entertained with ideally with a bit of eye candy around ya, it beats working, at least for a few days. 
feck all totty, just crusty auld public sector workers caught for jury duty.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

What a joke. Went on day 1, sat on my arse from 9am until midday before being added to 30 person jury panel for a murder trial. 2 o'clock comes and we're brought into the court room where the judge explained the case and then 16 names were drawn at random (12 jurors plus 4 subs). I wasn't one so myself and the other 13 were sent back to the waiting area and told to go home for the rest of the day. Day 2 I turn up at 10am as told, waited until 12 o'clock again where I was told I was being added to another jury panel. Told then we'd be going into the court room at 3pm. at 2:55pm we're called over to the reception desk and told the judge has postponed the trial for 12 months, we can go home and are discharged from jury duty. FFS two days wasted sitting on my arse.

So basically 2 half days, nice. Throw in the prospect of some afternoon pints in town and it sounds ideal.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic