You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things that make you embarrassed to be Irish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293031
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 10:29am
Mine, and collectively our inability to not speak our own language Unhappy
It would damage this forums' reputation
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 10:36am
Honestly, I think people assume they cannot speak the language and as a result, don’t. But when they start to think about it, they quickly realise they have a lot of vocabulary available to them.

Where the issue is, to me, is the focus that there was in school on grammar, and almost the desire to speak it perfectly, which sticks in the back of your throat when you attempt to speak it. We flatter ourselves when we speak English and often do so with imperfections.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Honestly, I think people assume they cannot speak the language and as a result, don’t. But when they start to think about it, they quickly realise they have a lot of vocabulary available to them.

Where the issue is, to me, is the focus that there was in school on grammar, and almost the desire to speak it perfectly, which sticks in the back of your throat when you attempt to speak it. We flatter ourselves when we speak English and often do so with imperfections.
Very true, most people are simply afraid to speak it. It’s always great to see people make an effort and most fluent speakers will try encourage you instead of critiquing you. 
Being from a Gaeltacht area I always took the language for granted as would have spoken it in the house when we were younger. But have huge respect for anyone trying to make an effort. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 11:59am
Encouraging conversational Irish would make such a difference. I think the saddest thing is that there are folks who like to refer to it as a dead language and are almost willing further decline. I absolutely agree about changing the way it is approached in schools, but the language lives, and there is a far greater proficiency than people know.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Mine, and collectively our inability to not speak our own language Unhappy
Tá am agat a chara Thumbs Up

I think the attitudes to our language are disappointing, especially in the 26. Living in Belfast I have to say there is, funnily enough, a bit less baggage in terms of speaking it. Of course it's used as a political football up here and all those connotations come with it, but I find the Irish speaking community in the North to be a lot more confident and self assured with the language than we ever were growing up or at college at home. In fairness I know of loads of great work both north and south goes on, mostly off people's own back and grá for the language. There's a good solid group of bilingual people now in their 20s and 30s that will hopefully bring it on a bit further. 

Plenty to be optimistic about I think. I found this an interesting read from the head of TG4: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tg4-s-alan-esslemont-we-should-have-equal-status-with-rt%C3%A9-if-irish-is-to-flourish-1.4713265

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293031
  Share Topic