You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMystery Players

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery Players
    Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 1:50am
Anyone remember a young english lad named Sonny Pike, he was supposed to be the great white hope of english football when he ended up at Ajax at age 7 or something...........
Jimmy 2 Times View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 2:32am

Sonny - the nephew of ex-Tottenham striker Mark Falco - became semi-famous after was invited to join Ajax's Academy of Excellence at the age of seven. Sadly, as this website explains, his dreams of a professional career ended a couple of years ago. "Sonny is currently living near Dundee, and is studying psychology at Dundee University. He found the pressures of top-class football too much, and in 2003 decided to pursue a more regular career - having been privy to sports psychologists, he decided to follow that path. Nonetheless, he still has a fervent passion for the game, playing Sunday league football for Dryburgh Saints, as well as weekly five-a-side fixtures against other students."

"He is currently training for a Scottish FA coaching certificate, and as part of this, he coaches two primary school teams in the area. Although he doesn't support a local team, he goes to matches regularly, purely for his love of the game. Sonny says that he's much happier away from professional football. The pressure placed on him by his club, agents, sponsors and, to a lesser extent, the media made him suffer a nervous breakdown in October 2000, whilst still part of the Ajax youth squad."

"I couldn't take it, and I got ill, really screwed up," Sonny adds. "I stopped going to training and stuff, because I was so screwed up I couldn't hack it. Looking back, it's amazing how low I was. Ajax completely forgot about me, they didn't want to know, but as soon as I was better, they acted like they'd always been there for me. I realised how superficial it is at that level, and if I hadn't got back to form I bet they would have turfed me out. That's why I packed it in, it's so unstable. I guess it was during that period that I realised how much psychologists can help people, and I suppose I took it from there."

Sonny - the nephew of ex-Tottenham striker Mark Falco - became semi-famous after was invited to join Ajax's Academy of Excellence at the age of seven. Sadly, as this website explains, his dreams of a professional career ended a couple of years ago. "Sonny is currently living near Dundee, and is studying psychology at Dundee University. He found the pressures of top-class football too much, and in 2003 decided to pursue a more regular career - having been privy to sports psychologists, he decided to follow that path. Nonetheless, he still has a fervent passion for the game, playing Sunday league football for Dryburgh Saints, as well as weekly five-a-side fixtures against other students."

"He is currently training for a Scottish FA coaching certificate, and as part of this, he coaches two primary school teams in the area. Although he doesn't support a local team, he goes to matches regularly, purely for his love of the game. Sonny says that he's much happier away from professional football. The pressure placed on him by his club, agents, sponsors and, to a lesser extent, the media made him suffer a nervous breakdown in October 2000, whilst still part of the Ajax youth squad."

"I couldn't take it, and I got ill, really screwed up," Sonny adds. "I stopped going to training and stuff, because I was so screwed up I couldn't hack it. Looking back, it's amazing how low I was. Ajax completely forgot about me, they didn't want to know, but as soon as I was better, they acted like they'd always been there for me. I realised how superficial it is at that level, and if I hadn't got back to form I bet they would have turfed me out. That's why I packed it in, it's so unstable. I guess it was during that period that I realised how much psychologists can help people, and I suppose I took it from there."

Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 2:33am
Anyone remeber that kid with the blonde fuzzy head who used to be on the antiques roadshow? he was destined for greatness aswell and havent heard from him since?

Anyone remeber that kid with the blonde fuzzy head who used to be on the antiques roadshow? he was destined for greatness aswell and havent heard from him since?
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
PompeyBill View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 4:07am
So he basically wasn't good enough then!

There was some young Irish lad in a similar situation at Barcelona. His parents were Irish but living in Mallorca and he played amazingly at some tournament held over there, and Barca took him on. Cant remember his name or know what happened to him but remember reading it in the paper.

You ever hear about this kid Jimmy??
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 4:31am
ah yeah that was Julio Murphy, never made it in the end....dodgy knees 
What about Ronnie O'Brien who was Times man of the year a few years back?

ah yeah that was Julio Murphy, never made it in the end....dodgy knees 
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 6:22am
Just read about that Sonny Pike fella on Wikipedia - He was the first gay man to play for Dryburgh and is popular within the gay community. Arguably the most well-known relationship Sonny has been involved in was to Nicholas Blakeley of Fraikin fame. Aparently!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 6:37am
bit of artistic licence on wikipedia I reckon....

bit of artistic licence on wikipedia I reckon....
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
él Statutorio View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 6:39am
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 7:35am
This thread got me thinking about players that shone briefly in the English Premier League and then seemed to dissapear (or just played in England and saw there names on Wikipedia and decided to post them here!). With this in mind I have decided to hijack the thread. Here's a few that spring to mind

Ibrahima Bakayoko (well he was good in Champo anyway and played for Everton!)

Got most of these from here. If you like your football you'll see a lot of old names here that bring back memories. Post a few up if you want..
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 7:54am
Yeboah, Roy, Tino and Bakayoko didnt disappear. I could give you there last few years whereabouts no probs if i was arsed.  All the ones you have posted went on to mainly well known clubs....if you want to ask about players that disappeared off the face of the earth, at least give a good example....eg Willie Prunier the baldy centre half who played for United or Rodrigo (the new Ronaldinho) who played for Everton a few years back! Or even Luis Rodrigues who played for Harchester a few ago  now?

Yeboah, Roy, Tino and Bakayoko didnt disappear. I could give you there last few years whereabouts no probs if i was arsed.  All the ones you have posted went on to mainly well known clubs....if you want to ask about players that disappeared off the face of the earth, at least give a good example....eg Willie Prunier the baldy centre half who played for United or Rodrigo (the new Ronaldinho) who played for Everton a few years back! Or even Luis Rodrigues who played for Harchester a few ago  now?

Edited by Jimmy 2 Times - 21 Feb 2007 at 7:55am
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 8:04am
I know where they went as well Jimmy/???? but, as I said, I saw them on Wikipedia and they brought back memories so decided to post them.

Edited by Jimmy 2 Times - 21 Feb 2007 at 8:12am
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 8:13am
fair enough PompeyBill, what about Prunier then eh?

Edited by Jimmy 2 Times - 21 Feb 2007 at 8:13am
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Jimmy 2 Times Jimmy 2 Times wrote:

Was only on loan at United from Bordeaux as far as I know, so went back to them I suppose.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 8:52am
whatever Jimmy McGee aka Mr Wikipedia
whatever Jimmy McGee aka Mr Wikipedia

Edited by Jimmy 2 Times - 21 Feb 2007 at 8:53am
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 4:37pm
There was one great hope from America, as usual a pisshead mom and a deadbeat da were his undoing. He could have played for Ireland in the hay days of the Charlton era if he ever got to Europe...real tragic story can't rememebr his name Rocky D or Rolly Dennis..something like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic