Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Penalties

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:07am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Something has to be done about the handball rule, that penalty decision tonight was baffling and brings me back to removing penalty areas...

I think the referees rule that when a player turns his back he is open to being penalised. When he turns his back and extends his arm and the ball hits it, it's a penalty. Now, not all referees apply this rule but I've seen plenty do it. Also, there isn't a defender out there who know that if he stands up and faces a shot and it hits his hand, it's a judgement call that will go your way a lot. If you turn your back blocking a shot, the chances are a penalty will be given.

Tbh, I'd like them to just clarify natural position of the arms in the laws. Basically situations where you turn you're back are not natural positions. Situations where a defender slides on the ground and the ball hits a flailing arm, that is not a natural position. Defenders running out and doing a star jump block (John Terrys classic block style) is not natural. Defenders handling a ball around head height when jumping to clear a cross is not a natural position. There are more scenarios but all of the above should result in penalties all of the time. The problem is the consistency. That penalty would be awarded by lots of referees tonight. The problem is that it wouldn't be awarded by all.

The term intentional/unintentional should be clarified in the laws for such scenarios. i.e, if you turn your back to block a shot and it hits your arm, you are deemed to have intentionally handled the ball.

Tbh, I'm surprised at the almost unanimous verdict that it wasn't a penalty against Kimpembe. I thought it was stonewall. I thought there a far far worse decision by VAR not to give Roma a penalty at the end of extra time that would have sent them through.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 07 Mar 2019 at 1:11am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:10am
double post..

Edited by Hans Moleman - 07 Mar 2019 at 1:10am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Something has to be done about the handball rule, that penalty decision tonight was baffling and brings me back to removing penalty areas...

I think the referees rule that when a player turns his back he is open to being penalised. When he turns his back and extends his arm and the ball hits it, it's a penalty. Now, not all referees apply this rule but I've seen plenty do it. Also, there isn't a defender out there who know that if he stands up and faces a shot and it hits his hand, it's a judgement call that will go your way a lot. If you turn your back blocking a shot, the chances are a penalty will be given.

Tbh, I'd like them to just clarify natural position of the arms in the laws. Basically situations where you turn you're back are not natural positions. Situations where a defender slides on the ground and the ball hits a flailing arm, that is not a natural position. Defenders running out and doing a star jump block (John Terrys classic block style) is not natural. Defenders handling a ball around head height when jumping to clear a cross is not a natural position. There are more scenarios but all of the above should result in penalties all of the time. The problem is the consistency. That penalty would be awarded by lots of referees tonight. The problem is that it wouldn't be awarded by all. 

Tbh, I'm surprised at the almost unanimous verdict that it wasn't a penalty against Kimpembe. I thought it was stonewall. I thought there a far far worse decision by VAR not to give Roma a penalty at the end of extra time that would have sent them through.

Whatever you think, it needs clarifying. 
Turning your back in the last minute is incredibly windy, but being a windy f**k isn't a foul. I don't know how he gave it and will never understand the logic.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:32am
I have seen that exact situation result in a penalty numerous times though, have you not? Just like I have seen the instance where a defender slides on the ground and the ball hits a flailing arm result in a penalty numerous times before. Neither are intentional handball situations, but the fact that the player himself is in a totally unnatural position (back turned or on the ground in the instances above), gives the referee license to award a penalty. 

The big problem is that referees are not awarding penalties in these situations 100 percent of the time. If they did award these every time, then there would be no outcry tonight. The bigger problem imo is that after such a high profile call tonight the handball situation could become an even greyer area if they react to this.

The fact that any goal scored with the use of a hand from next season will be disallowed is a simple way of clearing up what was a farcical application of the handball laws. It's amazing it took this long to clear up something that was so so simple.

If they actually rewrote the above scenarios I've given for defensive handballs, it would clear up 90 plus percent of the nonsense drama around these situations. Defenders know that referees will apply the handball in these scenarios most of the time anyway, the problem is this interpretation nonsense. Make it black and white. Turn your back, ball hits your arms. It's a penalty. There can be no arguments if they did this. Tbh I think most of the upper heads in football love this drama, as Sepp Blatter used to talk about it. Either that or they are complete morons.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 07 Mar 2019 at 1:33am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 10:17am
This all started with the World Cup final.

Peresic handball was dubious at the time, he was facing the ball, hands weren't doing anything unnatural, and FIFA never came out and said anything about that. 

Since then, any time VAR sees ball hitting a hand in the box it's been a penalty.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 10:29am
Well the Perisic handball was simply a disgraceful call. Of which there have been lots regards handball the past few years. Last night's doesn't fall into that category at all for me and hopefully they will clarify such things going forward and there will be no question about decisions like last night and penalties will always be given in that scenario.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Well the Perisic handball was simply a disgraceful call. Of which there have been lots regards handball the past few years. Last night's doesn't fall into that category at all for me and hopefully they will clarify such things going forward and there will be no question about decisions like last night and penalties will always be given in that scenario.
Ha! I thought the one in the World Cup was called right. It was a split-second decision, but he moved his hand towards the ball.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 6:48am
Disgraceful decision giving Bulgaria a late peno against Montenegro when the foul was clearly outside the box. 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 7:11am
Never a peno for Derby yesterday no contact on Lawrence.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 4:38pm
England currently  in  another peno shoot out.

Edited by Double Maxim - 09 Jun 2019 at 4:38pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 9:56pm
Jack Butland scored the winning peno for Stoke tonight in a penalty shoot out in the league cup v Leeds!
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Jack Butland scored the winning peno for Stoke tonight in a penalty shoot out in the league cup v Leeds!
Just as well, as he had another howler letting them back into the game.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:47pm
Colchester have beaten Spurs on penos in the league cup tonight

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:54pm
Crawley have beaten Stoke on pens too.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:37pm
Iffy peno for the Baggies at Preston tonight.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:29pm
Bump.

This thread is like a greatest hits of DM's personas. LOL

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 12 Dec 2020 at 8:19pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 3:52pm
I'd be well pissed off if I was a West Ham fan after those two peno awards today particularly the second one. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
  Share Topic