You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Podcasts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 3:32pm
Anyone listen to the Joe Brolly and Dion Fanning pod?

Its entertaining and an easy listen. A bit repetitive at times (most episodes involve Brolly criticizing Trump, the Tories and the DUP). 

The most recent one with Roddy Collins was good, however couldn't help think that Brolly was coming across very like David Brent, giggling away to himself in the background and telling Collins to tell certain stories. 
Reminded me of Brent any time Chris Finch is around. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 4:17pm
Listened for the first time today. The Philly McMahon and Ger Brennan episode. Seems like they cover a random range of topics throughout their podcasts. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 4:20pm
Topics mainly centred around loathing of Trump, The DUP, Boris and the Tories, Brexit, and speaking in support of the LBGT community. 
Also a love in with Pat Gilroy and everything to do with Dublin GAA
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 4:31pm
I listen most weeks, I enjoy it altho Joe can be OTT on a range of topics & too headstrong in his opinion. Dion has improved lately in getting his point across & not letting Joe completely take over. 
Listened to the Roddy episode last night, nothing particular new in it, especially if you’ve read (listened) to the book. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 5:08am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I listen most weeks, I enjoy it altho Joe can be OTT on a range of topics & too headstrong in his opinion. Dion has improved lately in getting his point across & not letting Joe completely take over
Listened to the Roddy episode last night, nothing particular new in it, especially if you’ve read (listened) to the book. 

Had forgotten he was part of the podcast. He barely said anything during the one I listened to.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 5:17am
The 42 are making changes to their subscription model and are allowing free access to news articles for 5 hours after they are published. Would be interesting to hear if their subscription figures are greater or lesser than what they expected.
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 7:45pm
Any other American mafia enthusiasts? I know Jamo's one.

Podcasts used to be the preserve of rats like Sammy The Bull Gravano, Michael Franzese and John Pennisi but now the alleged boss of the Philadelphia Crime Family, Joey Merlino, has one where he exposes rats and walks the thin line of talking about his old indictments without incriminating himself. 

Here he is interviewed by DJ Vlad.

Entertaining documentary about the mob war in the 1990s where he deposed the boss, John Stanfa, and took over the family, surviving several assassination attempts including one where he got shot in the ass. Skip to @ 24:00

Edited by razzmatazaz - 08 Mar 2024 at 7:47pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 8:53pm
Any good books on the mafia that somebody can recommend?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Cosa Nostra by John Dickie is the best I have read. It traces the origins of the Mafia back to the 1860s and explains how it evolved to became central to the economy of Sicily. Another worth reading is Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano which is about The Comorra, the Mafia in Naples and Campagnia region of Italy. The film and TV series were based on the parts of the book. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 11:54pm

5 Families-Selwyn Raab

Edited by King_Kenny - 08 Mar 2024 at 11:54pm
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 12:16am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

5 Families-Selwyn Raab

Fantastic book. Known as "the bible of mob books". Easy to dip in and out of as well because each chapter covers something different whether it's the Lucky Luciano & Meyer Lansky era or Donnie Brasco infiltrating the Bonanno family or Joe Massino becoming the first don to rat.

Murder Machine by Jerry Capeci and Gene Mustain also very highly rated including by me. About a crew of killers in the Gambino family known for their "Gemini Method" of disposing of their many victims as told by informant Dominick Montiglio who was brought into the life by his uncle Nino Gaggi, who was the capo of the aforementioned group of killers. 

Gotti: The Rise and Fall by Capeci is the definitive book about John Gotti.

Mob Boss: The Life of Little Al D'Arco by Capeci is a very good book made with the input of D'Arco, a cooperator who turned rat on his bosses after being lined up to be whacked. D'Arco was acting boss at the time so has a lot of interesting information about a very bloody period of the Lucchese family in the late 80s, early 90s not long after the source information for the movie Goodfellas happened.

The Brotherhoods: The True Story of Two Cops Who Murdered for the Mafia by Guy Lawson and William Oldham is a very good one, again about the Lucchese family in the late 80s, early 90s. Boss Vic Amuso and underboss Anthony Casso had two NYPD detectives on their payroll who supplied information and committed murders for them. 

The Goodfella Tapes and The Last Gangster by George Anastasia are two books about Joey Merlino, the charismatic boss of the Philadelphia crime family and his mob war with John Stanfa when his group of young turks usurped the old guard back in the early 90s after previous boss Nicky Scarfo was sent to prison for life. Very entertaining stuff and a breeze to read. Anastasia has an accessible style and Ron Previte who was the source of much of the information for The Last Gangster is a great storyteller.

Mafia Prince: Inside America's Most Violent Crime Family by Scott Burnstein and Christopher Graziano is about "Crazy" Phil Leonetti, who was groomed into the mob by his uncle, the psychopathic Nicky Scarfo. Leonetti would rise to the position of underboss under Scarfo before turning rat once he was facing life in prison. Fun fact: Atlantic City by Bruce Springsteen mentions the death of "The Chicken Man" Phil Testa whose death preceded Scarfo being named boss. The paranoid Scarfo's reign on top in the 80s was perhaps the most bloody and violent in mob history.
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:55pm
Cheers for the recommendations. Underboss by Sammy Gravano is supposed to be a great read too. Mikey Scars former Gambino capo has a podcast where he disects the book but he says most of it is Bull but he has some issues with Gravano going back years. Michael Franzese says the book is genuine so I'd probably take his opinion. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
  Share Topic