You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NCT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I dont trust mechanics full stop. Sorry 9fingersTongue

That's quite alright, I don't like you either
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

as someone who is into my cars and bikes I would never go to some where like Advance Pitstop for anything more than a puncture repair. If I need tyre's I'll order a good ones myself. If something mechanical needs doing I'd usually source the parts myself as you never know what patent parts / used parts might get put in rather then genuine parts in some places

And just what are genuine parts?

Car manufacturers do not make parts, they buy them from various manufacturers who will generally supply the identical part to a number of different customers under various brand names.
I know nothing :-)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 4:19pm
Nct tomorrow afternoon so popped the caps off the alloys to expose the nuts. Only to find one jutting out. Took the brace to it to try send her home but it's just spinning on the coil. Looked closely and both the nut and the coil it sits on are spinning together in the hole. Angry

First car i've had that the tyre sits onto the coils/threads and then you screw home the nut (if you get me). 

Will this be spotted yeah? Anything i can do in next 24 hours to try fix? 

9Fingers? Anyone?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 4:23pm
Like this as opposed to nuts having stems that thread into the hole

AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Nct tomorrow afternoon so popped the caps off the alloys to expose the nuts. Only to find one jutting out. Took the brace to it to try send her home but it's just spinning on the coil. Looked closely and both the nut and the coil it sits on are spinning together in the hole. Angry

First car i've had that the tyre sits onto the coils/threads and then you screw home the nut (if you get me). 

Will this be spotted yeah? Anything i can do in next 24 hours to try fix? 

9Fingers? Anyone?

Yeah it should be failed alright, if it's the only problem it'll be a free retest. You'll need to get a wheel stud and nut, hopefully the hub isn't goosed. If its just the stud and nut it'll be cheap tepair
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 6:10pm
Failed on that 9F and need to do a visual re-test with it fixed. How much am i looking at to replace the stud? Considering (im guessing) the hub will have to come off along, with pads etc.?
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Failed on that 9F and need to do a visual re-test with it fixed. How much am i looking at to replace the stud? Considering (im guessing) the hub will have to come off along, with pads etc.?

I'll price it up in the morning for you. I'd only be guessing at the moment. Canavans ford in eastwall will be the place to get it done
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 9:38pm
Cheers Vinny
AS YOU WERE McGx

raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:52pm
Failed NCT on flexi brake pipe but having to pay €28 for a retest is robbery Angry

Its not like it has to go through a full test again, just the brake test.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:47pm
whats the story with diagnostic testing now a prt of the NCT from Monday? Is this just to detect any faults that have been hidden for example or will it also tell of a yoke has been chipped/mapped?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

whats the story with diagnostic testing now a prt of the NCT from Monday? Is this just to detect any faults that have been hidden for example or will it also tell of a yoke has been chipped/mapped?
No won’t tell if it’s been chipped/mapped. 

It’s a rubbish system, the trials that were done weren’t very positive but the RSA are intent on being the best boys in the EU. 

From Monday it’ll advise on mileage discrepancies, airbag issues, Vehicle identification number issues and ABS issues. 

All the above is determined by the make, model, year & how much patience the inspector has 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 11:03pm
Have experience of the RSA in our place too. Morons. 

Mostly I don’t see a big deal to be fair, if an ABS or airbag warning comes on id have it checked and or fixed. But surely mileage issues are a dodgy one? If I buy a car with 30k in good faith but then at NCT they say its 50k and I get failed, would that not be a bone of contention? 

Im aware its advisory pass initially.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Have experience of the RSA in our place too. Morons. 

Mostly I don’t see a big deal to be fair, if an ABS or airbag warning comes on id have it checked and or fixed. But surely mileage issues are a dodgy one? If I buy a car with 30k in good faith but then at NCT they say its 50k and I get failed, would that not be a bone of contention? 

Im aware its advisory pass initially.
The mileage reading isn’t a reason for failure in the future 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic