You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2020 - "A EURO for Europe" Confirmed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 737475
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I wouldn't count on being able to resell Slovakia v Slovenia in Dublin for 160 euros less fees.

The reality is that the Irish don't tend to go as neutrals to these type of games. The 2011 Europa League final saw loads of giveaways and still well below capacity.  Many nations would struggle to sell their allocation for Dublin not to mind generate demand for any local tickets on offer.  

The likes of Ukraine,Slovakia,Slovenia, Switzerland,Austria, Greece, Croatia,Serbia, Bosnia, Iceland, France, Portugal, Belgium are all teams that will have a great chance of qualifying and would struggle to sell more than their allocation for Dublin.           

Why would that happen, when they were, and are prepared to travel across Russia, Brazil, and other long haul countries to watch their teams in other tournaments? If this tournament was in Ireland and the UK, they would travel, regardless of cost, as our fans did to Poland and other places in the past. 

Neutrals here will go to Lansdowne in 2020. Locals go to games at every tournament. That's the whole point of spreading games around, and the stadiums are always full. I went to the UEFA Cup Final in 2011 as a neutral, and the ticket was the standard rate, not free. Neutrals see it as a rare chance to see these type of games in their home city, as it's usually a long time before they get the chance again..

We had more fans at 2012 than any other travelling country.  My comments were made before the draw but I still don't believe any of those countries would bring a large travelling support.  

I also attended the Europa League Final in 2011.  Tickets were very scarce while Liverpool remained involved.  However once they went out it changed.  There were plenty of empty seats and the game was not sold out.  There were also plenty of free tickets.  There were also plenty for sale at well below face.

I struggled to offload Croatia v Turkey tickets at face for they day before our Sweden game in Paris.  There were some Irish fans there but not that many in colours anyway.  Not too many went to games in Poland either on the other days.  Croatia v turkey is probably about as attractive  a game as we will get as a neutral.

I do appreciate Poland, Wales and Northern Ireland would sellout the Aviva.  England would of course sellout the Rof16 game if they end up there as would Scotland.  I can't think of too many others who could end up in Dublin that would travel in large numbers.  

My opinion is that the Irish football fans in general don't do games as neutrals.  Nothing wrong with that.  I do and know others that do.  Of course many neutrals travel to tournaments but continental Europe makes far more sense if you want to see a few games. 

If we qualify demand will easily surpass any event in the country's history.  If we don't the most attractive team in the Dublin group (Spain) will play all three games in Bilbao.  Flights and hotels from mainland Europe will be expensive. 

Of course most of the tickets will be sold by the end of March 2020.  We are almost certain to be either qualified or still in the hunt until then.   However if we go out many sitting on €150+ tickets will be desperate to get some of their money back.  
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 2:49pm

We had more fans at 2012 than any other travelling country.  My comments were made before the draw but I still don't believe any of those countries would bring a large travelling support.  

I also attended the Europa League Final in 2011.  Tickets were very scarce while Liverpool remained involved.  However once they went out it changed.  There were plenty of empty seats and the game was not sold out.  There were also plenty of free tickets.  There were also plenty for sale at well below face.

I struggled to offload Croatia v Turkey tickets at face for they day before our Sweden game in Paris.  There were some Irish fans there but not that many in colours anyway.  Not too many went to games in Poland either on the other days.  Croatia v turkey is probably about as attractive  a game as we will get as a neutral.

I do appreciate Poland, Wales and Northern Ireland would sellout the Aviva.  England would of course sellout the Rof16 game if they end up there as would Scotland.  I can't think of too many others who could end up in Dublin that would travel in large numbers. 
The way the finals are spread out won't help, either, esp since venues/games won't be confirmed until nearer the time. 

Whereas with a Finals in one country, people can plan a two or three week trip to the host country well in advance, especially if it's to somewhere which is also a great holiday destination (eg France 2016) and they support a team which is almost certain to qualify. Indeed, some will also combine it with their annual family holiday. 

Whereas if attending a tournament where games are spread out through so many countries, I suspect a lot of fans may wait until they see the final draw and pick and choose which of their team's games they prefer to attend. This will be especially so for those teams whose group games will be in more than one country, thereby incurring extra flight and travel expense as they fly back and forth.

Which only takes you through the group games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

For if I read the above right, it is possible that having played group games in Budapest and Munich, the winners of Group F for instance, could then play knockout games first in Bucharest, then in St.Petersburg.

And should they get through those, they could then find that Brexit buggers up their plans to travel on to London for the semi-final... LOL 

Edited by Territorial - 27 Feb 2019 at 2:53pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 3:00pm
Well, assuming Spain qualify, every other country will have two games here, and two of the three will have two games in a row here. If the first game of each pair below is in Spain and the second in Ireland:

Spain v A
B v C

Spain v B
A v C

Spain v C
A v B

Then two teams (A and C) will play two games in a row in Dublin, four or so days apart. That will surely aid the demand for those two teams.

For the last sixteen game, England will be here if they win their group - that's quite likely, tbh. And if it isn't them, it'll be a team who were in the UK for the entire group - again, it'll not be very expensive or difficult to get from there to here with a good few days notice, especially given the number of airports in the UK.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Well, assuming Spain qualify, every other country will have two games here, and two of the three will have two games in a row here. If the first game of each pair below is in Spain and the second in Ireland:

Spain v A
B v C

Spain v B
A v C

Spain v C
A v B

Then two teams (A and C) will play two games in a row in Dublin, four or so days apart. That will surely aid the demand for those two teams.

For the last sixteen game, England will be here if they win their group - that's quite likely, tbh. And if it isn't them, it'll be a team who were in the UK for the entire group - again, it'll not be very expensive or difficult to get from there to here with a good few days notice, especially given the number of airports in the UK.

Your analysis is correct but demand for the vast majority of countries that can play in Dublin will be relatively low.  

Spain in Bilbao is likely to be more accessible and cheaper for those who only want to do one game.  

Poland would fill the Aviva.  Outside of these islands I'm struggling to name another country that can come here that would bring anything close to 10K.  Indeed many would bring considerably less than 5K.  

Furthermore none of our games are on weekends and possibly are during the business day.  Team B in your example will play on a Saturday in Bilbao.  None of that will matter if we qualify but it will make a difference if we don't.  

If we don't make it I reckon the event junkies will only want the "England game" and even then there has to be a reasonable chance they don't win their group.  

I don't know how the FAI are going to handle their confirmed (host) and potential (competing country) allocations yet.  Demand in the public sale will also be interesting.   

I think we need to have sellouts to try and attract big games to Dublin in the future.  I've no doubt it will be well run here but lots of empty seats would look bad.  
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 4:26pm
In terms of the FAI allocations, it is certainly interesting that their new premium 3, 5 and 10 year tickets are on sale from today. I would imagine there would have to be a tie-in there for those, especially as the majority of Euro 2020 tickets go on sale this summer. I know previously they said the 10 year tickets would go on sale from January 2020 but it would be remiss of them not to use a tie-in opportunity like has arisen now.

I'd say there is a strong chance that the "host" allocation will be partially used for the new premium ticket sales (that is, buy a new premium ticket and get with it the first refusal on Euro 2020 tickets) with the (potential) competing country allocation being allocated like current away tickets.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

In terms of the FAI allocations, it is certainly interesting that their new premium 3, 5 and 10 year tickets are on sale from today. I would imagine there would have to be a tie-in there for those, especially as the majority of Euro 2020 tickets go on sale this summer. I know previously they said the 10 year tickets would go on sale from January 2020 but it would be remiss of them not to use a tie-in opportunity like has arisen now.

I'd say there is a strong chance that the "host" allocation will be partially used for the new premium ticket sales (that is, buy a new premium ticket and get with it the first refusal on Euro 2020 tickets) with the (potential) competing country allocation being allocated like current away tickets.

You could well be right and that would suit most away fans and ST holders.

I couldn't find any mention of 2020 in relation to the ten year tickets and did look.  

However there is also the need to sell the tickets.  If we qualify demand from corporate, sponsors, football family etc will be off the wall.  If we don't then it will be weak enough.  It may make more sense to offer the host country allocation to ST holders etc to ensure sales knowing that if we don't make it tickets won't be an issue.  If we do then they could legitimately say you had your chance for Dublin last summer but here is your ticket for Spain away in Bilbao.  

I don't know what will happen.    
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 5:20pm
If both us and Spain qualify, would there still be a traditional “Pot A” powerhouse team in the group, or would Spain / the hosts take that spot?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 5:25pm
Spain would take it.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

If both us and Spain qualify, would there still be a traditional “Pot A” powerhouse team in the group, or would Spain / the hosts take that spot?

Seeding will be done based on qualifying.  So if Spain and ourselves qualify as runners up or via the playoffs then yes.  Realistically Spain will most likely top their group and do enough to be a top seed.  

The 4 playoff winners will be 4th seeds.  So if we end up in a playoff with say Ukraine, Iceland and Northern Ireland then the playoff winner will be forced into Group E I assume.  

There are provisions for a redraw after the playoffs which I assume is to cover say us and the Dutch in the same playoff.  
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 6:15pm

My opinion is that the Irish football fans in general don't do games as neutrals.  Nothing wrong with that.  I do and know others that do.  Of course many neutrals travel to tournaments but continental Europe makes far more sense if you want to see a few games.

Iirc, the attendance at the UEFA Cup Final here was 40-45k. Considering most were neutrals, and it was on the same night as the head of the occupied territories planting herself on her throne in Dublin Castle bringing the city to a complete standstill, it may not have sold out, but it wasn't a bad attendance. 

Any Western European country will bring significant numbers of fans to Dublin. Most of the Eastern ones already have significant numbers of people living in Ireland and the UK, and won't have major issues coming here. As for us, people will go as neutrals for the novelty value, just as they did in 2011.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 6:34pm

Iirc, the attendance at the UEFA Cup Final here was 40-45k. Considering most were neutrals, and it was on the same night as the head of the occupied territories planting herself on her throne in Dublin Castle bringing the city to a complete standstill, it may not have sold out, but it wasn't a bad attendance. 

Any Western European country will bring significant numbers of fans to Dublin. Most of the Eastern ones already have significant numbers of people living in Ireland and the UK, and won't have major issues coming here. As for us, people will go as neutrals for the novelty value, just as they did in 2011.

From second to fourth seeds that might qualify, there aren't that many would bring 10,000 fans, or even have near that in the country.

There are only 8 European countries with more than 10,000 citizens living in Ireland (counting the UK as one). Lithuania and Latvia are unlikely to qualify; Italy, France, Germany and England could well be first seeds alongside Spain; Italy, Germany, England, Scotland and Romania are also hosts of Euro 2020; that leaves only Poland, who could easily be drawn in another group.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 7:50pm

We were unlucky with the finalists.  However this final normally sells out completely.  Now it was run very well.  There were lots of tickets for sale online at well below face.  There were lots of free tickets.  Demand was very high originally when Liverpool were still in the competition.  

I saw the Swiss three times in France and their support was frankly awful.  Portugal's travelling support is way down on their big clubs.  Even they don't travel that well.  The French couldn't sellout the Stade de France for the Romania game.  The Belgians don't travel well.  Sweden would probably bring the biggest support of any western mainland European country that could end up here.  Even still that is most likely to be in four figures.

Four midweek games in Dublin will be a hard sell if we don't make it.  Hopefully we will qualify and never know.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 1:55pm

I saw the Swiss three times in France and their support was frankly awful.
Never mind in France, the Swiss support at home isn't up to much!

I wasn't too surprised when we met in Belfast in our WC 2018 playoff, but I must admit I was distinctly underwhelmed by how apathetic (do I mean "pathetic"?) they were in the return game.

Frankly, unless you were by the square where the GAWA were, you wouldn't have known there was an important football match in Basle that day.

As for Portugal, I wonder whether they're like the Spanish, who simply don't have the culture of fans travelling to away games as they do in England or Germany, for instance?

Edited by Territorial - 28 Feb 2019 at 1:56pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 2:16pm

We were unlucky with the finalists.  However this final normally sells out completely.  Now it was run very well.  There were lots of tickets for sale online at well below face.  There were lots of free tickets.  Demand was very high originally when Liverpool were still in the competition.  

I saw the Swiss three times in France and their support was frankly awful.  Portugal's travelling support is way down on their big clubs.  Even they don't travel that well.  The French couldn't sellout the Stade de France for the Romania game.  The Belgians don't travel well.  Sweden would probably bring the biggest support of any western mainland European country that could end up here.  Even still that is most likely to be in four figures.

Four midweek games in Dublin will be a hard sell if we don't make it.  Hopefully we will qualify and never know.

There would be a big Swedish contingent in Dublin too due to a lot of Nordic IT support is based out of Dublin with many multi nationals,  Google, IBM, HP etc.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 28 Feb 2019 at 2:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 737475
  Share Topic