You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Modern Languages'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Modern Languages'
    Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:17pm
Lot of debate on language learning going on in the ROI section where it doesnt belong so thought i'd set this up.

A lot seem to be calling for Mandarin in schools, simply put there is not the resources there, the are at best a few dozen qualified to teach it in this country and they teach it in Colleges (UCC, DIT and UCD), I know my own teachers in UCD also run a class in Loreto Bray, the first in Ireland but I can't see tehir resources stretchign further. However UCD has very string links with China so could possibly expand this but at best to just a few schools.

As for the importance of Mandarin, i'm personnally conflicted on this, The Chinese love hearing Westerners speak it and it certainly earns you a lot of respect but on its own it is simply now enough, another skill is also needed. Bear in mind that fluency in Chinese takes 3000 classrooms hours (Spanish is 600), learning it as well as a skill is challening. Personnally i am looking at living in the backarse of China for a year to become fluent.

As for Russia, I dont think its overly important, Portuguese is certainly more important and am dleighted to see UCD now offering it, would have been a tough choice for me between portuguese and chinese has I had the choice.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:23pm
你一定要学好普通话 - 它不应该采取3000小时 - 这需要时间和耐心,但它的伟大一旦你
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

你一定要学好普通话 - 它不应该采取3000小时 - 这需要时间和耐心,但它的伟大一旦你

google translate?
JimmyG View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:29pm
я также
Football is all very well a good game for rough girls, but
not for delicate boys.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:35am

Good one Nvidic , again if people want to lean Mardrian well fair play to them again if this is driven by markets and the need to make money for those looking to do this .

Again I will repeat English, Spanish and French are for me massive for travel with countires covered who use these .

Good on you with keeping up with your Mandrain , I am sure if you don't use it day to day you will forgot words , sure you will drop back into it once you get back .
I did hear that you need 1500 characters to read a news paper , can you read one yourself ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 9:04am
vidic is dead right , languages alone are not the answer they are more a bonus but you need other skills , i got work in germany due to my work skills and then learned to speak german , not the other way round.
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Good one Nvidic , again if people want to lean Mardrian well fair play to them again if this is driven by markets and the need to make money for those looking to do this .

Again I will repeat English, Spanish and French are for me massive for travel with countires covered who use these .

Good on you with keeping up with your Mandrain , I am sure if you don't use it day to day you will forgot words , sure you will drop back into it once you get back .
I did hear that you need 1500 characters to read a news paper , can you read one yourself ?

Cant read one yet no, its closer to 3000 but again i've been back in ireland a good while now so slipping away from me even with the classes, will improve massively once/if I go back
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic