You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass in as Kenny assistant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass in as Kenny assistant
    Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:40pm

New Hoops’ boss Stephen Kenny has been busy assembling his new back-room team and has brought a range of experience to the club.

Former Newcastle, Hibernian and Dunfermline player, Stephen Glass is Kenny’s new assistant manager, while Colin Hawkins joins the club in a player-coach role. 

And former Hoops ‘keeper, Stephen O’Brien makes a return to the club as goalkeeping coach.

Glass joins the club from the United States’ NASL and Kenny explained that the 35-year-old former midfielder is hungry to do well in his new role. 

Kenny said: “Stephen has been coaching with the Carolina Railhawks in America. He had a good playing career before that and played under me at Dunfermline. He is an excellent professional and is keen to come here and do well. He has gone through all his badges in Scotland and I think he will be a good addition to the club.”

And Kenny has also brought in former St Patrick’s Athletic, Bohemians and Shelbourne player, Colin Hawkins, who will have a dual role at the club. 

Kenny explained how he feels Colin will also be a strong addition to the club. He said: “Colin is joining us in a player-coach capacity. He has a lot of experience and was involved in four championship-winning teams during his time in the league. And he would also have gained good experience during his time with Coventry and Brighton. Colin is a strong competitor with strong leadership qualities.

“He will also provide good defensive cover for us throughout the season. He has done his coaching badges and has a great interest in getting more involved in that side of the game, and further developing his coaching skills.”

And Kenny is bringing a former Hoop back into the fold, as O’Brien is his new goalkeeping coach.

“Stephen was a very passionate player, and was named Goalkeeper of the Year during his playing days. He played for me at Longford Town and we have a very good working relationship. I have seen him coaching and know that he has a previous spell at Rovers in that capacity. He is an excellent coach and I am delighted to bring him back to the club.”

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic