You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 7:22am
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Not like the rest of us.  The rest of us can as in employees contribute the full PRSI and as a result we have a stamp.  Public servants pre 95 have no stamp.  

For sole traders it may be slightly different, and you may no more about that.  If someone was married and their spouse was working it would effectively mean that they would be ruled out from getting anything and they would never have had the option ever of contributing towards their PRSI. 
So, it's similar to self employed and we've always had to pay a reduced stamp rate.

Even for people who pay full PRSI, once you run out of benefit and your partner is earning a decent wedge, you would go to means testing and then you would only get whatever you're entitled to. In my case this would probably be zilch, even though I did pay full PRSI for almost 20 years too. However, if I were single, I would be able to claim dole as long as I qualified.
AFAIK, it's no different for any public servant that opts to go on the dole, regardless of whether they were pre '95 or not.

I'll only get a non-contributory pension, but not until I reach pensionable age and even then, it will be means tested and classified as taxable income.

I still don't get why some public servants should be treated any differently to the rest of us, in regards early retirement. Can you or anyone else explain that to me?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 7:44am
I think the situation with self employed people is a joke in my view and they should be able to pay full PRSI and get the full benefits of paying full PRSI in view. 

As regards the early retirement. I think its Guards and the Army, don't know of any other part of the public service that gets early retirement (other than politicians).  There could be others but I don't know of them

Not sure of the logic of it, presume it was to do with defending the state etc.  
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 7:57am

In Stoked ups scenario they would be let go, and the point I was making, was that its not as simple as that, as they have no PRSI contributions despite working 20 years or more (in his scenario). 

Just reading your later post. I'm not specifically talking about early retirees leaving the Public service(PS). It could be anyone to get the numbers down. 

Right now. I'd ban all long term leave absences. If someone wants to feck off for a two year jolly around the world, their job shouldn't be kept open for them.
Job sharing is ok, but the employee loses the right to automatically regain full employment. The extra job vacated by two people now only doing one, should be filled by someone already in the PS.

Many people leave for all sorts of reasons. All avenues should be explored to replace these workers with workers that already exist in the public service that are under utilised, thereby getting the numbers down, without resorting to paying off people to be unproductive for the rest of their lives in order to save only one third of their wages.

It's an absolute joke the amount of PS's that have retired early in the past two years, leaving the rest of us with the burden of picking up the tab.

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:12am

As regards the early retirement. I think its Guards and the Army, don't know of any other part of the public service that gets early retirement (other than politicians).  There could be others but I don't know of them

Not sure of the logic of it, presume it was to do with defending the state etc.   

See this is the problem. I know of countless others and this is just me!

A woman in her early 50's who was secretarial staff at a university.
A librarian couple who both took early retirement at 50 and have fecked off to the South of France off the backs of our taxes.

As I work PT as a teacher, I now of countless teachers who've grabbed this bounty in the past couple of years, because they feared it might be taken away someday soon.
Not only that, for quite a while, there was a log jam in replacing some of them because the unions were blocking  recruitment as some sort of protest over the government reducing PS wages and making us pay more for our pensions.

Incidently, PT teachers don't qualify, but even if they did, I'd still be saying the same thing. 
Maybe if the good times roll back in again some time in the future, but right now we can no longer afford it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic