You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teamtalk's top Premier League performers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teamtalk's top Premier League performers
    Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 4:08am

With almost a quarter of the Premier League season now gone, TEAMtalk's Rob McCarthy presents his Team of the Season so far.

Lining up in a 4-3-3 formation these are the players who I think have been the stand-out performers early in the campaign.

Goalkeeper: Michel Vorm (Swansea)

The Dutch stopper, who was signed from FC Utrecht in August, arrived with a reputation as a bit of a maverick but has been outstanding for the Swans so far this season.

Still to concede a goal at home in the league this term, the 28-year-old has pulled off a string of fine saves and, at £1.5million, is proving to be one of the bargain buys of the summer.

Defence: Kyle Walker (Tottenham), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle), Martin Olsson (Blackburn).

After an impressive spell on loan at Aston Villa last season Kyle Walker has firmly established himself as Tottenham's first choice right-back and is arguably the best attacking full-back in the Premier League. The defensive side of his game is also improving all the time.

Phil Jones is rapidly maturing into a top-class defender and leader. Whether he's playing at right-back, centrally or in midfield the former Blackburn man has had a fantastic start to his United career and is without doubt a future England captain in the making.

Tha main reason for Newcastle's impressive start to the season has been down to their strong spine and Fabricio Coloccini has been solid as a rock so far alongside Steven Taylor. The Argentine veteran clearly benefited from a season of Championship football, after a difficult start at St James' Park, and has now become a cult hero with the Toon faithful.

Blackburn have had a tough start to the season but left-back Martin Olsson, along with Junior Hoilett, has been outstanding whenever I've seen him and looks destined for bigger things. Although he's recently been switched to more of a midfield role he slots in nicely at the back for me.

Midfield: Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle), David Silva (Man City), Cheick Tiote (Newcastle).

As I mentioned earlier, Newcastle are particularly strong through the middle and in Cabaye and Tiote, they've had the best central midfield pairing in the league so far.

The Magpies paid less than £8million to land the duo and, having watched them dominate a strong Tottenham midfield for the majority of the recent 2-2 draw, few could argue that they deserve to be in my XI.

Manchester City are flying at the moment and in David Silva they have the Premier League's top performer on current form. The Spanish magician has effortlessly glided his way through games this season and will walk away with all the Player of the Year honours if he carries on at this rate.

Forwards: Sergio Aguero (Man City), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Man United).

Sergio Aguero has certainly settled into life in England's top flight easier than I thought he would and left City fans crying Carlos who? A clinical finisher and a good team player (take note Carlos), Aguero looks likely to go on and notch at least 20 goals this season.

The biggest compliment I can pay to Ashley Young is that he looks as if he's been playing for United for years. Productive off either wing or behind the striker, Young has also popped up with some breathtaking goals this season and is now one of the first names on Fabio Capello's England teamsheet.

If you took Robin van Persie out of Arsenal's team it would be difficult to argue their case for a top-six finish, let alone Champions League qualification.

The Dutchman has been prolific this calendar year and seems to be digging the Gunners out a hole on a weekly basis. Talks are said have started on a new contract for the 28-year-old but if they break down there will be no shortage of takers come January.

Substitutes: Tim Krul (Newcastle), Jose Enrique (Liverpool), Vincent Kompany (Man City), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Jon Walters (Stoke), Wayne Rooney (Man UnD)

What do people think?
Say nothing till you hear more
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 4:27am

Wouldn't have Ashley Young near the team. He played well at the start but has since fallen away in my opinion.

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 7:35am
isn't ashley young injured these days?
would've put dzeko or ba

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 8:32am
Great to see Walters making the subs bench, in amongst all that exalted company.
Absolutely Use View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 12:18pm
For me i'd go with
Vorn

Richards
Kompany
Jones
Enrique

Tiote
Milner
Silva

Rooney
Van Persie
Aguero