You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are we such a nation of barstoolers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I honestly like the way the league is. If it got bigger crowds it would have to be more family orientated, turned into something like the aviva with CCTV everywhere, feck that.

You are one of the most ridiculous posters on here.

Flares, terraces and cheap ticketsClap
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:08am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I honestly like the way the league is. If it got bigger crowds it would have to be more family orientated, turned into something like the aviva with CCTV everywhere, feck that.

You are one of the most ridiculous posters on here.
LOL
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

They don't even follow Newcastle . It's just pure booze .

Which if we extrapolate out, was my original point. Of course there are die hard fans of teams overseas from Ireland, but I would think most of them have a LoI side as they are genuine football people. But a sizeable rump are there to get away from the missus for a weekend. Which is more likely to be allowed happen; "I'm off to London on the beer" or "I am off to London for a match"?

Nothing wrong with that per say, I have done it myself more than once, but lets not kid ourselves that these people are somehow fans of the game.
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

They don't even follow Newcastle . It's just pure booze .

Which if we extrapolate out, was my original point. Of course there are die hard fans of teams overseas from Ireland, but I would think most of them have a LoI side as they are genuine football people. But a sizeable rump are there to get away from the missus for a weekend. Which is more likely to be allowed happen; "I'm off to London on the beer" or "I am off to London for a match"?

Nothing wrong with that per say, I have done it myself more than once, but lets not kid ourselves that these people are somehow fans of the game.
"I'm off to cork for the beer and the match"
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

Galway and Kerry both had 500 people at their 1st round all Ireland home game in the last few years and then had massive demand for the final.   

There was over 1500 in attendance for Galway vs. Tipperary qualifier game earlier this month.

Less attended the Waterford game, which I would put down to its start time being unfavourable to those working, and very few travelling from Waterford. Same applying for Wexford game in 2010 which was also an early throw in that day.

Galway hurling doesn't get very strong numbers given for the fact we have to travel for every game we play in the Championship, even then there are decent numbers.

But then again it can be argued there is a bandwagon element to every sport.

Not going to entertain RTID'S notions about the game, we should all know the futility of that charade by now

it was a few years ago.   My brother in law was one of the 500 at the Kerry game and he couldn't get a ticket for the final.  It was the Galway hurlers at home the same year or a year earlier. 

Even 1500 for a home game even if it was a bad midweek start time is still tiny compared to the massive crowds they get for the final and other big games.  This was a home game too so no travel involved and even if no away fans it is still poor. 

I think it is definitely an Irish thing.  30,000 in Poland and half that if I'm being generous for home games since v Greece, Georgia etc.

It is not as obvious to me in other countries.  Man utd still get huge crowds for their games v the crap teams. 

You cannot compare Man United a global brand and one of the biggest sporting clubs in the world with the GAA or Irish football fans! 

maybe not but it is the same idea.

In any sport we don't really have a culture of going every week.  There is that in England and elsewhere.   Here it is more about the event and the bandwagon.   
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 3:28pm

maybe not but it is the same idea.

In any sport we don't really have a culture of going every week.  There is that in England and elsewhere.   Here it is more about the event and the bandwagon.   

am a massive GAA fan but i definitely agree with this , there is no culture of going week -in week out , club games and inter-county league games pull very few fans until the real latter stages are reached, it is very much a bandwagon culture.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 3:33pm
Most of those going to home games against the likes of germany france italy etc are going to watch the opposition

Very few so called fans are bothered about going to the likes of armenia etc which in reality with our group of players its more important to beat these
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 3:49pm
Too many ****s in this country
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 3:50pm
A lot of event junkies in this country

It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 4:02pm
@ RTID once again your hatred of the GAA makes you look like a complete tool. I'm guessing this is down to Thomas Davis so please say that rather then making stupid comments (by the way plenty of people don't like that club for various reasons).

you among others keep on trying to comepare attendence of GAA games with that of LOI games, why? its a completely pointless exercise given that both sports operate under completly different structures.

Edited by sausy - 16 Jul 2013 at 4:03pm
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

@ RTID once again your hatred of the GAA makes you look like a complete tool. I'm guessing this is down to Thomas Davis so please say that rather then making stupid comments (by the way plenty of people don't like that club for various reasons).

you among others keep on trying to comepare attendence of GAA games with that of LOI games, why? its a completely pointless exercise given that both sports operate under completly different structures.

quiet day on the office Wink, time to knock off Big smile
I know nothing :-)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 4:59pm
Used to go to all the dubs championship games more for the day out on the beer than anything else. I felt a bit on an impostor because i dont have any real attachment or liking of the GAA.
A lot of my mates would be dub dubs as opposed to culchie dubs and would have no time whatsoever for the GAA. If i'm honest i only ever wanted dublin to win as an excuse for another sunday on the lash. I suppose i'm like 90 per cent of dubs fans in that respect.

After Thomas Davis acting the bollix over Tallaght i decided i'd pack in the dubs. I'm a person of very few principles but on this i decided that i'm not giving the GAA any more of my money. So as far as the GAA is concerned i'm quite happy to be a barstooler.............
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 5:42pm

Will you get back in your box and stop putting words in my mouth.

Which was my point you dunderhead.

There is no doubt that the GAA cups are the best supported sports events in Ireland, even if the attendences are falling. The point that is being made is that they also suffer from event junkies, but the advantage they have is people aren't going to England for 'the big match' and that bread and butter GAA is actually poorer supported than football. According to the ESRI football overtook hurling as the second highest attended spectator sport in 2011.

Bandwagonning is an Irish phenomenon, not just football, but rugby and GAA at least have the product for the couple of game a season heads in Ireland as they aren't competing with the biggest league in the world (tm). The problem Irish football now has is the Ole Ole brigade seem to have been sucked into a Sky Sports vortex. There was a time that a big Ireland game stopped the country - that only happens when we make the euro's or WC these days.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

am a massive GAA fan but i definitely agree with this , there is no culture of going week -in week out , club games and inter-county league games pull very few fans until the real latter stages are reached, it is very much a bandwagon culture.

I wouldn't say that is necessarily a negaitive though. There isn't really any harm in people supporting their side when it gets interesting if the die hards aren't left ticketless.

Look at somewhere like Athens or the big 3 in Portugal. There are massive numbers who only go to the 2 big home games and have zero interest in the week in week out stuff. Not ideal, but at least they go and indenify with their sides.

It is the culture, the FAI/clubs need to find some way to tap into it. Rovers v Bohs once a year in the Aviva has been floated, create an event. And the Celtic Liverpool debacle is a wonderfully cynical way for the FAI to cash in.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:16am

There is no doubt that the GAA cups are the best supported sports events in Ireland, even if the attendences are falling. The point that is being made is that they also suffer from event junkies, but the advantage they have is people aren't going to England for 'the big match' and that bread and butter GAA is actually poorer supported than football. According to the ESRI football overtook hurling as the second highest attended spectator sport in 2011.

In regards to attendances at LOI games versus Senior club games, of course LOI games are going to have higher attendances. But its not a fair comparison, the LOI hosts 16 league games a week across the country between both divisions. Dublin GAA alone has 16 Senior club league games next Wednesday with God knows how many more across the rest of the country. And due to league games being free to watch we'll never know what kind of numbers attend every week.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 12:47pm

In regards to attendances at LOI games versus Senior club games, of course LOI games are going to have higher attendances. But its not a fair comparison, the LOI hosts 16 league games a week across the country between both divisions. Dublin GAA alone has 16 Senior club league games next Wednesday with God knows how many more across the rest of the country. And due to league games being free to watch we'll never know what kind of numbers attend every week.

If it was advatageous to the GAA for us to know, we would know.

Why are we comparing Dublin gaelic club games to the LoI. Surely the LSL is the comparison there - they are broadly the same level and will get broadly the same crowds.

My point was that if we take an average of hurling and gaelic intercounty league crowds in counties where there are a LoI presence, I would say that the results would suprise.

We simply don't do week in week out sport on this island.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:37pm

If it was advatageous to the GAA for us to know, we would know.

Why are we comparing Dublin gaelic club games to the LoI. Surely the LSL is the comparison there - they are broadly the same level and will get broadly the same crowds.

My point was that if we take an average of hurling and gaelic intercounty league crowds in counties where there are a LoI presence, I would say that the results would suprise.

We simply don't do week in week out sport on this island.

oh the GAA know alright, for years they have been keeping track of the number of people entering public parks around the country.

LSL and Dublin club games would probably be a better comparison, but since I've never been to a LSL game I can't really comment.

I don't see the point in comparing football and hurling league crowds to LOI, whether there's a LOI presence in the area or not. Both sports aren't mutually exclusive, games are played on different days and plenty of people go to both.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 6:54pm
Indonesian (non-alcoholic) barstoolers ;

http://youtu.be/qq5OFJYv7xE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic